Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2018, 12:31 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
More than likely, they're doing some one stop shopping for other needs like distribution/logistics hubs. For example, I could see either Indy or Columbus getting one of those based upon the information provided and relationships built in this process.
If you're speaking of the added negotiating power they have for new distribution hubs, but not exactly putting both the HQ2 and dist hubs in the same city by actually pitching those 2 as a possibility, then I agree with you. I see those 2 cities actually bidding for the next major distribution hub but have no realistic shot at HQ2. It's a clever play by Amazon, but with an existing distribution center in southern Indiana, it would make me wonder if either that one would be relocated, or if they'd really want another major hub within 2-4 hours of an existing one. The one in the northern Louisville MSA market is to take advantage of the UPS Air hub that Louisville has.

UPS is the major scale-tilting reason why a lot of people think Atlanta is the clubhouse leader, despite MARTA not being anything compared to METRA/CTA.

I live in Louisville and I think Chicago is the most logical choice for HQ2 and either Indy or Columbus for ground shipping (non-prime) hubs.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:25 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The Amazon logistics system is no longer a chain, it now resembles something more like a giant shimmery lacework that has only a few tiny gaps where there are low population densities -- https://ilsr.org/amazon-logistics-map/

The various efforts to concentrate certain kinds of intermodal hubs alongside airfreight and oceanic shippings options suggests the whatever "hubs and spokes" Amazon my need to get goods from offshore will not be based on anything other than the sorts of considerations that are driven by the mix of suppliers and customers that are most profitable.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:10 PM

398 posts, read 381,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
South Florida Is the Fraud Capital Of America | Fortune

My wife was born in Miami and I have family in West Palm. It absolutely, 100% has a lock on immorality. By no means are they the only, but they are the leader, far and away.
This dude gets it!

Old 03-24-2018, 07:57 PM

13 posts, read 12,431 times
Guys whats the latest update?

Old 03-24-2018, 08:08 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampdeck View Post
Guys whats the latest update?
Lots of news coming out of Chicago recently. Shatner promo video finally released to the public:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/3/23...illiam-shatner

Additional renderings of Lincoln Yards with ground level perspectives contemporaneous with the second Amazon visit:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/3/22...gs-amazon-site

I wholeheartedly disagree with those who think DC has it in the bag. I get the argument that they are using competition to get the best deal, but they are already undertaking quite an expenditure scoping out sites across the country. I think there would be more economical ways to get a good deal than having this big beauty pageant of cities, which makes me think their minds are not, and never were, made up. I have always thought Chicago makes a compelling case and I do think it is still very much under consideration. I mean this is the second visit from Amazon reps to Chicago since the announcement. If Bezos had his mind made up on DC, why

Old 03-24-2018, 09:09 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
^ my guess is Chicago in the end won't get this, but agreed about DC. Seems like an odd choice for this.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:15 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
I'm rooting for at least a Legacy Northern city.... but still first for me is Chicago . Then Pittsburgh or Philly.

Old 03-25-2018, 09:21 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I'm rooting for at least a Legacy Northern city.... but still first for me is Chicago . Then Pittsburgh or Philly.

Good answer, good answer.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:54 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,358,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
^ my guess is Chicago in the end won't get this, but agreed about DC. Seems like an odd choice for this.
Why is it an odd choice? I think DC is less logical than Chicago, and the Central Time Zone makes more sense than an east coast time zone in working with Seattle but having access to east coast markets. There are so many reasons Chicago is the best choice for this.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:12 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Why is it an odd choice? I think DC is less logical than Chicago, and the Central Time Zone makes more sense than an east coast time zone in working with Seattle but having access to east coast markets. There are so many reasons Chicago is the best choice for this.
I was attempting to say DC is an odd choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago