Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 01:54 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Again dude you're being untruthful, you're cherry picking the blighted areas of commerce to prove your point.

https://www.google.com/maps/place//@...dBh4UUeAFA!2e0
9th and Washington

https://www.google.com/maps/place/le...169e287db?sa=X
6th and Lexington

https://www.google.com/maps/place//@...lz1c9BSiew!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/place//@...g!2e0?hl=en-us

Again so the areas where people actually live aren't abandoned and that's the point. Maywood has a density of 8k with is more than neighboring Melrose park and Broadview. And since we're cherry picking abandoned lots here's an abandoned lot on the white/ Mexican side of town
https://www.google.com/maps/place//@...FP131n4Vdw!2e0
I can show you blocks in austin and Englewood that aren't messed up either.
It's not cherry picking. It's acknowledging that there is a considerable amount.
You don't see that stuff in other burbs.
You're downplaying Maywoods problems saying "its bad but not bad because people live there and buildings exist on side streets.

Whatever though. I dont want to be banned from here. Ill stop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 03:40 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,394,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree, and that's largely because Berwyn and Cicero are becoming pretty saturated. There's a lot of competition for housing there. To put it in the terms you might understand, Berwyn is kind of like Oak Brook and Cicero like Elmhurst to a Hispanic family living on the West Side of Chicago.

Those town you mentioned don't have the same "name" recognition of Berwyn and Cicero. But Hispanic families are starting to discover them. Partly out of necessity and partly because they're nice and generally affordable.

But this being said, there is a pretty big difference from those those communities to Maywood. I'm not going to pile on Maywood, and I'm pulling for it, but it has a lot of problems. So to the extent they're going to attract Hispanic families it's probably going to be the really low income folks who are priced out of the nicer suburbs we've mentioned and who have service jobs in the further western suburbs. But even there you're competing with suburbs like Melrose Park, Des Planes, and Northlake.
Where do you think the older white families are moving to? The ones who've historically owned those houses in those suburbs. Retirement maybe Florida, Arizona, Las Vegas?

Old 09-24-2017, 05:47 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Where do you think the older white families are moving to? The ones who've historically owned those houses in those suburbs. Retirement maybe Florida, Arizona, Las Vegas?
I suppose some retirees move to those states. Otherwise, I know that Plainfield, Darien, and Bolingbrook were popular destinations for Berwyn and Cicero residents during the white flight of the 1990s and 2000s. A lot of the younger white families tend to head to places like Western Springs, Naperville, LaGrange, or even Riverside and Oak Park when their kids reach school age.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:53 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,394,567 times
Quote:
I suppose some retirees move to those states. Otherwise, I know that Plainfield, Darien, and Bolingbrook were popular destinations for Berwyn and Cicero residents during the white flight of the 1990s and 2000s. A lot of the younger white families tend to head to places like Western Springs, Naperville, LaGrange, or even Riverside and Oak Park when their kids reach school age.
Indeed, those property taxes have to be killing them but that's the price you pay for safety and better schools.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:04 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,070 times
Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree, and that's largely because Berwyn and Cicero are becoming pretty saturated. There's a lot of competition for housing there. To put it in the terms you might understand, Berwyn is kind of like Oak Brook and Cicero like Elmhurst to a Hispanic family living on the West Side of Chicago.

Those town you mentioned don't have the same "name" recognition of Berwyn and Cicero. But Hispanic families are starting to discover them. Partly out of necessity and partly because they're nice and generally affordable.

But this being said, there is a pretty big difference from those those communities to Maywood. I'm not going to pile on Maywood, and I'm pulling for it, but it has a lot of problems. So to the extent they're going to attract Hispanic families it's probably going to be the really low income folks who are priced out of the nicer suburbs we've mentioned and who have service jobs in the further western suburbs. But even there you're competing with suburbs like Melrose Park, Des Planes, and Northlake.
That's where the Mexicans are moving to, Puerto Ricans are moving to Galewood, Belmont Cragin, and Portage Park. Some are even moving to Little Village. Humboldt Park and Logan Square are too expensive.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:07 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
That's where the Mexicans are moving to, Puerto Ricans are moving to Galewood, Belmont Cragin, and Portage Park. Some are even moving to Little Village. Humboldt Park and Logan Square are too expensive.
Elmwood Park too, yes.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:15 AM

255 posts, read 414,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Yeah, more and more Hispanics are moving to North Austin/Galewood. I would not be surprised to see more Hispanics move into eastern Chicago Lawn, West Englewood, and southern New City (Back of the Yards) and replace blacks who are leaving those areas.

Really interested to see if the Asian population grows further in Chicago.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:05 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Where are these places because from what I see, it sucks for us everywhere no matter the income level lol. And I'm not being smart but the reality is we always have to manage tradeoffs wherever we go for economic, social/political and safety issues. Trigger happy cops are everywhere so there's no out-running that. Segregation be it race or economic, is everywhere. Cities are being gentrified everywhere. Sure I can get a bigger house in the south on my meager salary but then I have to get used to seeing the kkk/nazi parade on the next block. Houston seems like a mecca for all these issues but are you willing to risk losing everything living in a disaster/flood prone area like that? Is it really a better quality of life? For some it still may be and they are willing to deal with it, but you definitely can't make a blanket statement like that.
It's not just about economics. Chicago is a place that marginalizes black people like no other. Then on top of that you have all the other issues like crime, fiscal mismanagement, corruption, crappy winters, etc. I don't want to leave here because it's too expensive. I want to eventually leave because there are just too many things I don't like about the place.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:27 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I agree. It's hard being middle class in Chicago when you can get a lot more in working class suburbs.
It's that damn craze that has all the small towners and suburbanites wanting to move into the city.
Which is not bad, but when they come from non working class demographics they are able to pay way more than what something is worth. Leaving those who once payed reasonable money to pay what they can't afford.
But you know this.
The cost of living in Chicago isn't any greater than booming sunbelt cities like Dallas and Houston. It's also much less than places like Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and Washington DC. Those places are all adding way more people than Chicago.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:54 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpofan11 View Post
Yeah, more and more Hispanics are moving to North Austin/Galewood. I would not be surprised to see more Hispanics move into eastern Chicago Lawn, West Englewood, and southern New City (Back of the Yards) and replace blacks who are leaving those areas.

Really interested to see if the Asian population grows further in Chicago.
Already have, the alderman of West Englewood is Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago