Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 08:33 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Personally, I'd rather live with 4 roommates in Lakeview than alone in Pilsen. Not sure I'd recommend Pilsen to the OP if he is interested in LP or LV.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. You couldn't pay me enough to live in any Whole Foods and Urban Outfitters style neighborhood. Pilsen has unique character that can't be found anywhere else.

I've always wondered why people pay high prices to live in trendy neighborhoods in the city. Most people who are no longer in college come straight home after work and just stay in, or maybe grab a bite to eat at a restaurant in their neighborhood. You can do that in almost any neighborhood in the city, so why pay high prices when you could live elsewhere and save a bunch of money and also have a better quality of life?

My 3br apartment here in Bridgeport is the cost of a studio apartment in Lincoln Park. Yeah, we don't have Urban Outfitters and Whole Foods here, but those stores are just a quick train ride away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 09:12 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Different strokes for different folks I guess. You couldn't pay me enough to live in any Whole Foods and Urban Outfitters style neighborhood. Pilsen has unique character that can't be found anywhere else.

I've always wondered why people pay high prices to live in trendy neighborhoods in the city. Most people who are no longer in college come straight home after work and just stay in, or maybe grab a bite to eat at a restaurant in their neighborhood. You can do that in almost any neighborhood in the city, so why pay high prices when you could live elsewhere and save a bunch of money and also have a better quality of life?

My 3br apartment here in Bridgeport is the cost of a studio apartment in Lincoln Park. Yeah, we don't have Urban Outfitters and Whole Foods here, but those stores are just a quick train ride away.
Because I prefer the bars, restaurants, and amenity access in my neighborhood to those in Pilsen. I did the whole cheap living thing in Rogers Park, and Rogers Park was frankly boring in the long run in comparison. Additionally, I think you might be underestimating how much Chicago drinks. All the bars on Halsted and Clark in Lakeview aren't just sitting there empty because it's not a Friday or Saturday night.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:29 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
This discussion was a nice demonstration of why I love Chicago. Something for most tastes.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:18 AM

15 posts, read 18,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Just some more info on Lincoln Park & Lakeview:

Lincoln Park and Lakeview aren't necessarily like all of those neighborhoods. Both are overwhelmingly white (80% plus), and both have a mix of yuppie and bro personas. Lincoln Park is probably the yuppier of the two. Multimillion dollar homes on more than one city lot, higher average rents, etc. There are a lot of college students in Lincoln Park though thanks to DePaul, but this also means that a lot of the bars are going to be more so geared towards them. Lots of gut rehabs in Lincoln Park though, and the neighborhood has plenty of studio apartments. You'd be able to live there alone on your budget in a studio, but I'm less familiar with the apartments there as I am with Lakeview.

As for Lakeview, it certainly has its yuppie sections, but it's dominated by Wrigleyville (bros both in college and recent grads, think Murray Hill but broier) and Boystown (LGBT, skewing heavily towards the G). Everyone else is sort of on the periphery around those two areas. Lakeview is also going to have more bars overall, and rents are *slightly* cheaper than Lincoln Park. You could definitely live alone in a studio in Lakeview, although your budget for an upgraded unit might mean that it's going to be smallish.

Both neighborhoods are going to have plenty of access to gyms, restaurants, grocery stores, and the L. I'd give Lincoln Park the edge when it comes to park and lake access (it has far better access to Lincoln Park the actual park and North Ave beach is on its border), whereas Lakeview has no beaches and its lakefront area isn't nearly as impressive. It has the lakeshore path and some harbors. You have to go north or south for beaches. I'll give the nightlife edge to Lakeview though, which to me has always been the bigger deal.

As for some of the other neighborhoods mentioned, Wicker Park, for example, isn't nearly as hipster as it was a decade or two ago. It now has more in common with Lincoln Park, minus some of the establishments at the six corners intersection at Milwaukee, Damen, and North. Even most of those bars are going to have a lot of the same people you're going to run into in Lincoln Park and Lakeview though. They'll just think they're edgier for being there.

As I previously mentioned, you'll be renting a studio or having roommates in either of those neighborhoods on that budget. Additionally, you'll either want to plan your search around the L stations or the express bus stops along inner Lake Shore. I'm in the East Lakeview / Boystown section of Lakeview and I have a 15 minute walk to the L from my apartment. A stop for the 146 express bus is less than 5 minutes from me though.
This is really good to know. I'm going to wait until I actually move out there to figure out my "true" budget, but I know average salaries for my position in Finance, and after adjusting for the COL in Chicago, I believe my budget can range anywhere from $1000-$1500. If i'm able to shell out more for rent, i'll consider a 1 bedroom in either areas, but I won't really know until I visit both neighborhoods and find out what feels right to me.

Only reason i'm considering roommates are a) saving on rent and b) having a friend (given we get along) since I don't really know anyone in Chicago. But i'll have to make that decision down the line.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:23 AM

92 posts, read 92,251 times
If you like the east village, chelsea, and williamsburg, you will probably like logan square and wicker park far more then LP or lakeview. Also look into west town, bucktown, and potentially pilsen.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:51 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnieparent View Post
If you are in finance, you should move to Lincoln Park or Lakeview like the rest of the transplanted NEw Yorkers and bros. Wicker Park and Logan are all about the man buns, flannel, beards and need glasses - mostly graphic artists and computer geeks.
And Oak Park or Evanston if you are very liberal. We have a specific place for everyone here!

Old 09-19-2017, 12:08 PM

15 posts, read 18,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs2 View Post
If you like the east village, chelsea, and williamsburg, you will probably like logan square and wicker park far more then LP or lakeview. Also look into west town, bucktown, and potentially pilsen.
I'll definitely tour those neighborhoods next time i'm in Chicago forsure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
And Oak Park or Evanston if you are very liberal. We have a specific place for everyone here!
And that's why Chicago is a great city and why i'm considering leaving NYC for it

Old 09-19-2017, 12:32 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khasan122 View Post

And that's why Chicago is a great city and why i'm considering leaving NYC for it
Yes, if you live in one of the well off Community Areas! Not so much if you don't though . In any case, I suspect you'll fit right into any of the neighborhoods being recommended.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:54 PM

650 posts, read 2,517,667 times
Born and raised in NYC, moved to Chicago in March. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:24 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs2 View Post
THIS. Lakeview is definitely more Wicker Park. Linclon Park is like a cross between Brooklyn Heights and the central part of the Village (between, say, Broadway and 7th ave).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago