Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:17 PM

5 posts, read 6,052 times

Advertisements

Im going to be visiting Chicago next week and I've been reading guide books to figure out what attractions I want to visit and I've read about Navy Pier and my guidebook (Frommers Chicago) said its a big tourist trap. It also went on to say some other famous things such as deep dish pizza were overrated. Is this true because Navy pier is on my list of places I want to see. So I'm asking everyone in Chicago is Navy Pier worth a visit and what famous attractions are overrated and not worth the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 09:31 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
Besides the Children's museum there isn't too much that makes it worth it.
Yeah it has a bunch of restaurants, but they're not unique.
The shops are not unique, just a lot of souvenirs.

The views are great though. I'd go for a picture.
Although... views are great everywhere in Chicago.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:33 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
By the why... While we do eat Chicago thin crust pizza on the regular, don't skip out on Deep dish. It's worth a try.

a lot of Chicago elitist like to say "Waah waah we don't eat deep dish, that's for tourists waah waah"
But it's good. I still eat it once in a while.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:59 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Navy Pier is worth a visit! It's free and the views are amazing! I would skip eating there, but go walk the pier, take in the views and if you're into Ferris wheels, hit that too. Y

You will want to try deep dish pizza. There are differences so keep in mind there is thin crust, deep dish and then there is stuffed. Personal preference as to which you may prefer, but give them all a try if you can!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago-style_pizza

Also, you definitely should do a river/lake architectural cruise and/or if you like speed, check out Sea Dog!

Old 09-20-2017, 09:47 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,658 times
If you're bringing kids, absolutely. Otherwise, I'd skip unless there are fireworks or you're catching a boat tour.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:15 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
If you're bringing kids, absolutely. Otherwise, I'd skip unless there are fireworks or you're catching a boat tour.
I think this is generally good advice. NP does have good views of the City though as others have suggested.

Also, Deep Dish is in no way overrated. It's delicious from the right maker. Lou Malnati's and Pizano's are fantastic.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:23 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I think this is generally good advice. NP does have good views of the City though as others have suggested.

Also, Deep Dish is in no way overrated. It's delicious from the right maker. Lou Malnati's and Pizano's are fantastic.
Deep Dish >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NY thin crust. It's not even remotely close. People who say NY pizza is better are literally kidding themselves. NY pizza is a nice, greasy snack; Chicago deep disk is a hearty, satisfying, incredibly tasty meal. Sorry to take this thread off topic.

Like U.S. Cellular Field (GuaranteedRate whatever), Navy Pier is not great, but it's still underappreciated. It's unique, views are great, and there's tons of hustle and bustle. If you have time, it's worth a visit,

Old 09-20-2017, 11:31 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
Navy Pier is worth a visit, but not if you are passing up other things like the Art Institute. Deep dish pizza is worth a try its good but honestly most Chicagoans eat thin crust which is also good. Chicago has some of the best pizza in the U.S. its hard to make a mistake here.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:49 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,283 times
It's definitely a tourists trap but it's worth a visit

No need to go to any of the restaurants or establishments inside, the best thing about it is the actual pier outside.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:49 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Navy Pier is definitely worth a visit -- either to walk around or for the Ferris wheel. It has some of the nicest vistas in the city and there is usually something interesting going on there.

When I was there recently, there was a surprising number of East Indian tourists on the pier, for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago