Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 12:27 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
You might look a total Yooper wearing one of these, but you'll keep the feeling in your ears
Yoopers are in a different category. We can get around in the winter without snowmobiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 12:29 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I think winter here is awesome. But I dress appropriately and love activities like snowshoeing, iceskating/hockey, XC skiing, ice fishing, and drinking schnapps. I could not live in a locale without a decent winter.
imho, winter in Chicago sucks. Once mid-January rolls around, I start to get sick of it. Winter really lasts until Mid-March in Chicago. Then, pre-Spring (45-55 degrees) lasts until mid-, late-April. When spring finally arrives, it vacillates between teasing us with 75 degree weather, then BOOM, a week of 50s in early May.

I do like the four seasons of Chicago, winter, and our tunnel out of it, just goes too long.

On the other hand, Fall in Chicago is better than anywhere else in the U.S. Generally 75 and sunny from early Sept. to mid-, late-Oct.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:17 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
imho, winter in Chicago sucks. Once mid-January rolls around, I start to get sick of it. Winter really lasts until Mid-March in Chicago. Then, pre-Spring (45-55 degrees) lasts until mid-, late-April. When spring finally arrives, it vacillates between teasing us with 75 degree weather, then BOOM, a week of 50s in early May.

I do like the four seasons of Chicago, winter, and our tunnel out of it, just goes too long.

On the other hand, Fall in Chicago is better than anywhere else in the U.S. Generally 75 and sunny from early Sept. to mid-, late-Oct.
I may be a minority here, but I love Chicago winters. IMO It doesn't really reach its stride until January when I can hit the forest preserve trails to ski, or the ponds to skate, or build a really awesome snowman that doesn't melt in a day.. In order to really appreciate winter, it helps to participate fully in it, but it's not for everyone. But there are people like those Yoopers or my Canadian family who have it a lot worse (better?) than us.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:01 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I may be a minority here, but I love Chicago winters. IMO It doesn't really reach its stride until January when I can hit the forest preserve trails to ski, or the ponds to skate, or build a really awesome snowman that doesn't melt in a day.. In order to really appreciate winter, it helps to participate fully in it, but it's not for everyone. But there are people like those Yoopers or my Canadian family who have it a lot worse (better?) than us.
I can certainly appreciate that. It's the bone-chilling cold and wind-chill that gets me. I'm "enough!" after a few major cold spells. I've been here for almost 30 years (and Michigan before that) so I should be used to it, but each year it's just a *little* more painful. However, there's nothing like snow before Christmas.

I have no plans to leave though. Good overweighs the bad and weather is just one data point/consideration of many.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:22 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,515,980 times
True story. Back in the day we walked about a mile to/from school (Austin/Berwyn to 5200 n Long), no busses, in all types of weather. Aside from a few days with wet feet due to holes in the boots, we survived. To this day we do what have to do, it's just not an issue!

Old 10-24-2017, 08:02 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,768,506 times
We used plastic bags on our feet to mitigate this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
True story. Back in the day we walked about a mile to/from school (Austin/Berwyn to 5200 n Long), no busses, in all types of weather. Aside from a few days with wet feet due to holes in the boots, we survived. To this day we do what have to do, it's just not an issue!

Old 10-24-2017, 08:23 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post
Chicago feels like the coldest place on earth in the winter. The wind coming off the lake is brutal. A snowfall is pretty maybe a few hours then everything is grey and muddy...Chicago winters are miserable.
Yes couldn't agree more, hence I moved to SW Florida from Chicago 3 years ago... Will be up for the first time since this Thanksgiving. I am actually rooting for a white turkey day, which I know isn't too common, but I haven't seen snow since so I can handle and actually enjoy some for the 4 days I'll be there....

I think the lowest the temperature has ever gotten here in my part of Florida in the past 3 is upper 30's a night or 2. Even in January here average lows are only in the mid 50's

Old 10-24-2017, 09:26 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,440,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post
Winter can come as early as November and hang around til April. We can have sunny winter days that are bone chilling cold! Picture going out to your car, with your face and fingers even with gloves on so cold it burns. If you park your car outside some nights during a cold snap you might want to go out in the middle of the night to warm it up so hopefully it will start in the a.m. winters here are horrible! Last winter wasn’t so bad as far as snow fall, but we have a few days below zero that were awful.
I don't even like getting out of my bed at 4am to use the bathroom, can't imagine going outside to start my car lol. But interesting.

How have yalls non-native friends/family adjusted? I saw a guy on youtube from Australia talking about his first Chicago winter, but he didn't really do much in the video other than show the lake was frozen.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:54 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I don't even like getting out of my bed at 4am to use the bathroom, can't imagine going outside to start my car lol. But interesting.

How have yalls non-native friends/family adjusted? I saw a guy on youtube from Australia talking about his first Chicago winter, but he didn't really do much in the video other than show the lake was frozen.
I have several German friends who lived in Chicago the same time I lived there. They loved the winter, for the most part. Sure, there are always the bitter days, but in general they had a positive outlook. They're back in Germany now, but I occasionally hear them reminisce about Chicago and even the winter.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:02 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
You're soft then. I never had a problem with it. It doesn't stop me from going out.
^^^ this.

cali=sally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago