Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 07:09 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentsir55 View Post
And that is your opinion. An opinion the vast majority don't hold.
The masses carry much more weight then you. When you decide to leave your sanitized elitist bubble you'll understand.
The masses are dumb as had been proven throughout history. We have a buffoon as President as recent proof. He could care less about anyone but himself, yet the rubes love him.

Chicago has the fastest growing highly educated population of any large US city. I like smart people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 07:24 AM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...is-trending-up

Lol, another article just today showing that the well educated love Chicago.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:32 AM

11 posts, read 13,793 times
Quote:
Chicago is a bargain? LOLOL.
Hint there are other large cities out there that are much cheaper than Chicago. In fact if Chicago was such a bargain its population would be booming instead of leading the nation in decline.
What comparable cities are cheaper?

Old 10-20-2017, 07:36 AM

32 posts, read 37,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The masses are dumb as had been proven throughout history. We have a buffoon as President as recent proof. He could care less about anyone but himself, yet the rubes love him.

Chicago has the fastest growing highly educated population of any large US city. I like smart people.
Thanks for showing your arrogance.
Hint buddy you should get off your high horse sometime and snap back to reality. So out of touch.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remk View Post
None

Old 10-20-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remk View Post
Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Detroit just to name a few.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Detroit just to name a few.
Um, no. None of those are comparable other than they are in the US. Some aren't even cheaper.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Um, no. None of those are comparable other than they are in the US. Some aren't even cheaper.
Again thats your opinion. The opinion of the masses matters much more than yours.
The End Of The Illinois Budget Impasse Didn't End Agencies' Problems | WNIJ and WNIU
Keep living in that sanitized *smart* elitist bubble. Reality will eventually catch up to you and pop it.
So Privileged and out of touch.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:02 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Yeah, ****ty cities. Look at the Census. It clearly tells us who is leaving and who is coming. Highly educated and high income people are moving and staying. Poorly educated and low income people are leaving. I would love it if no one left, but I'd rather lose takers than makers.
The city is gaining young, fresh out-of-college grads, but it's still losing population overall. Young, hip neighborhoods are booming. It's great for the economy, but these really aren't the people who plan on staying in the city long term. As soon as they get older and want to start a family, they'll move somewhere else with safe schools and lower home costs.

I really don't see anyone in their 30s with kids moving to the city. These are the long-term residents the city needs because they'll stick around.

All of my coworkers grew up in the city, but only one of them still lives in the city. Most others have moved to the burbs or NW Indiana. This is pretty much the norm.

The suburbs are in worse shape than the city. They aren't gaining any residents, especially the lower income burbs like Oak Lawn. There's really no benefit to living in the Chicago suburbs when you could have the same lifestyle in a place like Nashville with a much lower cost of living and better weather.

So yeah, we can play with the numbers and say things like "yeah, but we're gaining high income residents!", but you're forgetting that the city is still losing residents. That isn't healthy for any city.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The city is gaining young, fresh out-of-college grads, but it's still losing population overall. Young, hip neighborhoods are booming. It's great for the economy, but these really aren't the people who plan on staying in the city long term. As soon as they get older and want to start a family, they'll move somewhere else with safe schools and lower home costs.

I really don't see anyone in their 30s with kids moving to the city. These are the long-term residents the city needs because they'll stick around.

All of my coworkers grew up in the city, but only one of them still lives in the city. Most others have moved to the burbs or NW Indiana. This is pretty much the norm.

The suburbs are in worse shape than the city. They aren't gaining any residents, especially the lower income burbs like Oak Lawn. There's really no benefit to living in the Chicago suburbs when you could have the same lifestyle in a place like Nashville with a much lower cost of living and better weather.

So yeah, we can play with the numbers and say things like "yeah, but we're gaining high income residents!", but you're forgetting that the city is still losing residents. That isn't healthy for any city.
The city is losing low income people and gaining high income people. Would I rather not lose people? Of course, but if we have to lose people, I'd rather it be low income people.

In the metro area, the City Chicago has been the magnet for the poor forever. Now the suburbs are getting some of them, which is actually good for the region as a whole.

I think your anecdotes are likely wrong in terms of highly educated, high earning people with kids not staying in the City. CPS schools in high income areas are bursting at the seems. Private schools are booming as well. SFH prices in these neighborhoods are at or near all time highs. I live in Lincoln Square and homes are selling like hot cakes. The buyers are families with kids.

In 2011, Chicago had 189,500 households with incomes of +$100,000 in 2016 it was 276,000 households.

Chicago had 45,100 households with +$200,000 income in 2011 in 2016 it was 75,300.

In 2011 Chicago had 41,650 households receiving public assistance benefits, in 2016 it was 34,584.

Last edited by Vlajos; 10-20-2017 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago