Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:22 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The city is losing low income people and gaining high income people. Would I rather not lose people? Of course, but if we have to lose people, I'd rather it be low income people.

In the metro area, the City Chicago has been the magnet for the poor forever. Now the suburbs are getting some of them, which is actually good for the region as a whole.

I think your anecdotes are likely wrong in terms of highly educated, high earning people with kids not staying in the City. CPS schools in high income areas are bursting at the seems. Private schools are booming as well. SFH prices in these neighborhoods are at or near all time highs. I live in Lincoln Square and homes are selling like hot cakes. The buyers are families with kids.

In 2011, Chicago had 189,500 households with incomes of +$100,000 in 2016 it was 276,000 households.

Chicago had 45,100 households with +$200,000 income in 2011 in 2016 it was 75,300.

In 2011 Chicago had 41,650 households receiving public assistance benefits, in 2016 it was 34,584.
If what you say is true, what do you propose we do about the non-wealthy areas of the city (which make up more than 50% of the city) where there are abandoned homes and schools constantly closing? Don't forget that people with incomes of over $100K/yr make up less than a quarter of the total city population. http://www.city-data.com/income/inco...-Illinois.html

Chicago was founded on working-class individuals. It's really a shame that blue collar workers cannot find work or afford to live here any longer.

Also, I wouldn't use CPS schools as a good indicator of "rich people are staying in the city". 60% of Lincoln Park High School students are economically disadvantaged and 72% are minority. Not exactly what I think of when I picture Lincoln Park. My guess is that these students live elsewhere in the city.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...1/student-body

Also, in regards to the tax situation, people with higher incomes actually have more to lose with tax increases. A 1% income tax increase doesn't affect someone who lives below the poverty line, but it certainly affects someone who earns $200K/yr.

Your argument about gaining high income residents, while still losing more residents than gaining sounds like a failing college saying "even though we've lost 5% of our student body, we actually gained students from wealthy families. They'll be able to donate when they graduate!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 09:56 AM

32 posts, read 37,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
If what you say is true, what do you propose we do about the non-wealthy areas of the city (which make up more than 50% of the city) where there are abandoned homes and schools constantly closing? Don't forget that people with incomes of over $100K/yr make up less than a quarter of the total city population. http://www.city-data.com/income/inco...-Illinois.html

Chicago was founded on working-class individuals. It's really a shame that blue collar workers cannot find work or afford to live here any longer.

Also, I wouldn't use CPS schools as a good indicator of "rich people are staying in the city". 60% of Lincoln Park High School students are economically disadvantaged and 72% are minority. Not exactly what I think of when I picture Lincoln Park. My guess is that these students live elsewhere in the city.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...1/student-body

Also, in regards to the tax situation, people with higher incomes actually have more to lose with tax increases. A 1% income tax increase doesn't affect someone who lives below the poverty line, but it certainly affects someone who earns $200K/yr.

Your argument about gaining high income residents, while still losing more residents than gaining sounds like a failing college saying "even though we've lost 5% of our student body, we actually gained students from wealthy families. They'll be able to donate when they graduate!"
Amen

Old 10-20-2017, 10:03 AM

32 posts, read 37,969 times
Quote:
Illinois and especially Chicago voters are the biggest pushovers. Several of my coworkers just say "well, we need to fix the financial crisis" when hearing about a new tax. It's almost as if they don't mind giving more of their money to the cronies. The smart folks realize there is no hope so they just pack up shop and head elsewhere.
Your Co-Workers are enablers. Its like having an abusive boyfriend and saying "while I love him so much I don't care how much he abuses and hurts me cause I get to be with him"
Nothing will change in Chicago or Illinois with a culture of enablers like that.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:25 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats Grobnick View Post
Many times i think about moving but I can't afford any place I like.

As bad as Chicago is, I'd rather live here than anywhere in Indiana or Texas.
My thoughts exactly. I may have to settle for moving into a better area in the city.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:45 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
The masses are dumb as had been proven throughout history. We have a buffoon as President as recent proof. He could care less about anyone but himself, yet the rubes love him.

Chicago has the fastest growing highly educated population of any large US city. I like smart people.
The same thing is happening in other cities that are gaining population.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:51 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manterro View Post
"The annual budget ritual is underway in Chicago and the production is often a repeat performance. The costs of city government continue to grow — considerably faster than the cost of living — and Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the City Council turn their attention to revenue: Where and how hard can we squeeze taxpayers without triggering revolt? And by revolt we mean no worse than what’s already happening. Chicago lost more population than any other of the 20 biggest cities in the country, according to the last two years of U.S. Census Bureau data. Yes, parts of the city are thriving, and Emanuel can rightly brag about attracting corporate headquarters and hipsters. But other parts of the city have been emptying out on his watch due to a combination of crime, rising taxes and poorly performing schools."

http://e.chicagotribune.com/a/hBZ6NM...384c43597e1682
If it's any consolation the buffoon in charge of NYC right now will make sure New York joins you in your death spiral

Old 10-20-2017, 12:50 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The same thing is happening in other cities that are gaining population.
Yep! Dallas, Atlanta, and Raleigh have been gaining ALL types of residents, not just people who make over $200K/yr. There are jobs for highly educated people and factories for blue collar workers.

Also, there are plenty of places for blue collar workers to live in the areas mentioned above. If you are lower income in Chicago, you best be prepared to hear gunshots every night, or live in a lower income suburb.

But honestly, this really isn't unique to Chicago. Most big cities in 2017 aren't low income family friendly. Good luck living in NYC if you make under $50K/yr.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:12 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Yep! Dallas, Atlanta, and Raleigh have been gaining ALL types of residents, not just people who make over $200K/yr. There are jobs for highly educated people and factories for blue collar workers.

Also, there are plenty of places for blue collar workers to live in the areas mentioned above. If you are lower income in Chicago, you best be prepared to hear gunshots every night, or live in a lower income suburb.

But honestly, this really isn't unique to Chicago. Most big cities in 2017 aren't low income family friendly. Good luck living in NYC if you make under $50K/yr.
Actually Atlanta is gaining lower income households. It's median household income is dropping and stagnant.

Houston has declining median income as well, but likely due to the oil bust.

Don't know about Dallas.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:50 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,140,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentsir55 View Post
Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Detroit just to name a few.
None of those cities are comparable to Chicago.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:55 PM

186 posts, read 243,162 times
Quote:
OP, where did you move? And why do you post here constantly if you hate Chicago so much?
The OP is like the rest of us who left Chicago...we love Chicago and we hate Chicago. I would love to see it thrive again, but with the tax increases that are suppose to fix the problem...Chicago is only going deeper into debt. It’s an absolute embarrassing mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago