U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-19-2008, 04:19 AM

35 posts, read 106,927 times
Default jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmylifeline View Post
I figured that the move and the adjustment would be a tough one.
Ummm....Me and my mom are planning things for college and stuff, but I'm sure we could afford someplace.
I thought since Chicago is a big city that there would be a lot of jobs, especially ones fresh out of college?
am I wrong?
I thought that New York was expensive, but it really all depends where you live right?

I can only speak from my own experience and haven't found work in 8mos. But I'm not College grad and am much older. Being young you might have an advantage. If you need to work while in school, you'd probably want to sign up with some placement agencies downtown. There's lots of them. I would recommend Loftus and O'Meara if they're still around. Also I hear a lot of students do okay waitressing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 07:41 AM

81 posts, read 99,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crepella4 View Post
I can only speak from my own experience and haven't found work in 8mos. But I'm not College grad and am much older. Being young you might have an advantage. If you need to work while in school, you'd probably want to sign up with some placement agencies downtown. There's lots of them. I would recommend Loftus and O'Meara if they're still around. Also I hear a lot of students do okay waitressing.
ah. okay. that makes a lot more sense, now.
And I'll keep those two agencies in mind for sure.
and waitressing is good, too?
hooboy.
To be a waittreess in Chicago.
That's...intense. Haha (coming from a town of 7,000 people)
but yeah. I'm totally into all those ideas. Thanks again.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:22 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,509,030 times
Just come and visit, and start the Columbia College admissions now, don't wait until the summer of your senior year. It's always good to get a foot in the door and make sure this is what YOU want, and of course that it's feasable.

I moved to Chicago for school from Iowa, and it was the best choice I ever made. I love big cities, and the transition was a piece of cake. It was about 1% stressful and 99% "YES, i'm finally here!".

Just come to visit in warm weather for a week or so, I'm sure you'll like it. There's a lot of transplants, and people are pretty open and happy to help a newcomer. If anything people will be interested to hear about growing up in Montana. Mostly people I meet here grew up in the Midwest, or a few who came over from the Northeast. Or Poland and Ireland, which seem to be pretty huge here...

Old 03-19-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Just come and visit, and start the Columbia College admissions now, don't wait until the summer of your senior year. It's always good to get a foot in the door and make sure this is what YOU want, and of course that it's feasable.

I moved to Chicago for school from Iowa, and it was the best choice I ever made. I love big cities, and the transition was a piece of cake. It was about 1% stressful and 99% "YES, i'm finally here!".

Just come to visit in warm weather for a week or so, I'm sure you'll like it. There's a lot of transplants, and people are pretty open and happy to help a newcomer. If anything people will be interested to hear about growing up in Montana. Mostly people I meet here grew up in the Midwest, or a few who came over from the Northeast. Or Poland and Ireland, which seem to be pretty huge here...
Definitely. I think I'm totally going to apply the begining of my senior year, and maybe come in may and check it out, after I've applied.
I would really like to live in Chicago. It seems like a really awesome town.
And you moved from Iowa? It seems like you're in the same boat as me, kinda. How was the transition so easy for you? What preperations did you make? What do you do for a living if I can ask.
You're making me feel really at ease when it comes to this sort of thing, so thank you so much!
Any other things I should know about Chicago? Where are the best places to eat, and go to have fun, ect ect ect.
I love music.
I love Rock music and Hip hop.
But I'm also really into accoustic stuff to?
Are there any places with shows in Chicago?
I'm sure there are but I'm just asking.
Also, where's the places in Chicago where I shouldn't go? I don' t want to be the one idiot that winds up in the bad parts and be completely -screwed-

Old 03-19-2008, 12:14 PM

4,263 posts, read 5,673,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmylifeline View Post
Definitely. I think I'm totally going to apply the begining of my senior year, and maybe come in may and check it out, after I've applied.
I would really like to live in Chicago. It seems like a really awesome town.
And you moved from Iowa? It seems like you're in the same boat as me, kinda. How was the transition so easy for you? What preperations did you make? What do you do for a living if I can ask.
You're making me feel really at ease when it comes to this sort of thing, so thank you so much!
Any other things I should know about Chicago? Where are the best places to eat, and go to have fun, ect ect ect.
I love music.
I love Rock music and Hip hop.
But I'm also really into accoustic stuff to?
Are there any places with shows in Chicago?
I'm sure there are but I'm just asking.
Also, where's the places in Chicago where I shouldn't go? I don' t want to be the one idiot that winds up in the bad parts and be completely -screwed-
Check out the Chicago Reader every once in a while. It gives a good preview of the arts/music options available in the city the upcoming week.

Chicago Reader Online Features

Old 03-19-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Check out the Chicago Reader every once in a while. It gives a good preview of the arts/music options available in the city the upcoming week.

Chicago Reader Online Features
thank you so much I will

Old 03-19-2008, 07:52 PM

5,550 posts, read 8,315,195 times
to answer your previous questions, I believe you only have to audition if you are a dance major, or possibly also if your are a music/singing major. I also believe the portfolio may only be necessary for art majors. I'm not 100% on this, and you're best bet is to check out the school's website for more info.

you said in your other post that you had a high GPA; I suggest, if you haven't already, to start looking for scholarships NOW! Columbia does have one for incoming students w/ good grades, and you can look through websites like fastweb for more scholarships, and also check in w/ your HS advisor is you have one.

I'm paying for school solo w/ money from my FT job, though I do get some gov't loans. like I said, Columbia is expensive, but it could be worst.

I know you have your heart set on Columbia/Chicago, and I wouldn't discourage you from it (both the school and the city are awesome), but make sure you aren't putting all your eggs in one basket. as a film major, if you can get into the film school at UCLA (or USC, one of the major CA schools), or at the film school at NYU, you may be able to make more connections in the industry there (not saying you can't in Chicago, but the industry does revolve around LA and NYC). now is a good time to save up some cash and start looking at schools, maybe start this summer. don't decide 100% on a school until you see it in person, check out the city, etc.

having said all that, I think you'll find what you're looking for in Chicago (and lord knows, it's cheaper here than LA or NYC!). the music and arts scene is very vibrant here, lots of small clubs, always something to do. you have a good year or so, you have time to check out this board and other resources (like the Reader) about the nightlife in Chicago and housing info

Old 03-22-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
to answer your previous questions, I believe you only have to audition if you are a dance major, or possibly also if your are a music/singing major. I also believe the portfolio may only be necessary for art majors. I'm not 100% on this, and you're best bet is to check out the school's website for more info.

you said in your other post that you had a high GPA; I suggest, if you haven't already, to start looking for scholarships NOW! Columbia does have one for incoming students w/ good grades, and you can look through websites like fastweb for more scholarships, and also check in w/ your HS advisor is you have one.

I'm paying for school solo w/ money from my FT job, though I do get some gov't loans. like I said, Columbia is expensive, but it could be worst.

I know you have your heart set on Columbia/Chicago, and I wouldn't discourage you from it (both the school and the city are awesome), but make sure you aren't putting all your eggs in one basket. as a film major, if you can get into the film school at UCLA (or USC, one of the major CA schools), or at the film school at NYU, you may be able to make more connections in the industry there (not saying you can't in Chicago, but the industry does revolve around LA and NYC). now is a good time to save up some cash and start looking at schools, maybe start this summer. don't decide 100% on a school until you see it in person, check out the city, etc.

having said all that, I think you'll find what you're looking for in Chicago (and lord knows, it's cheaper here than LA or NYC!). the music and arts scene is very vibrant here, lots of small clubs, always something to do. you have a good year or so, you have time to check out this board and other resources (like the Reader) about the nightlife in Chicago and housing info
thank you so much! I can't say it enough! thank you thank you. I know that NYC and LA would be best but like I said...Cost of living and stuff is terrible..
I just don't even know.
The competition is so fierce for young filmmakers like myself.
I have a positive attitute, but am I in over my head?
hahaha

Old 03-23-2008, 12:34 PM

433 posts, read 885,022 times
Another housing option you may want to consider is Podmajerskey-ville.

Podmajerskey owns a ton of property in Pilsen that he rents out to students and artists. Pilsen is, among other things, probably THE top neighborhood in Chicago (I'm not talking yuppie or trendy here, I'm talking exclusively about the art thing). I know of no other neighborhood that has more cool murals or more creative people living in it, and it is just a little over a mile from the Columbia College campus.

Pilsen is also immediately south of the UIC campus, putting you around a lot of UIC students, if that matters to you.

If you do make it to Chicago to go school shopping, make sure you make a point of getting a look at Pilsen, and try to time it when they have a gallery opening or art walk so you can see it for yourself. I am sure you'll be favorably impressed.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
Another housing option you may want to consider is Podmajerskey-ville.

Podmajerskey owns a ton of property in Pilsen that he rents out to students and artists. Pilsen is, among other things, probably THE top neighborhood in Chicago (I'm not talking yuppie or trendy here, I'm talking exclusively about the art thing). I know of no other neighborhood that has more cool murals or more creative people living in it, and it is just a little over a mile from the Columbia College campus.

Pilsen is also immediately south of the UIC campus, putting you around a lot of UIC students, if that matters to you.

If you do make it to Chicago to go school shopping, make sure you make a point of getting a look at Pilsen, and try to time it when they have a gallery opening or art walk so you can see it for yourself. I am sure you'll be favorably impressed.

that really tickles my fancy for sure. I love creative people and living around diverse and creative people would be KEY for me. And it's really nice and convienient that I would be living pretty close to Columbia College. But since it is like a mile away, what ways would their be to get there? Does a transit system run past?
Also, how much does it cost to live in this area? I would really apreciate that info.
THANKS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago