Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 12:24 AM

14,184 posts, read 22,725,360 times

Advertisements

I took a road trip to Chicago in September, and these are some general observations I made:

1. The dotted lines on the toll highways are much longer than the dotted lines on the free highways.

2. Paying tolls on the Chicago Skyway felt like, uh, highway robbery. Both Illinois and Indiana were guilty too.

3. I-90/I-94 north of the Loop needs the same "LOCAL/EXPRESS" separation that it has south of the Loop.

4. Why does I-88 end at I-290? Why not have I-88 extend all the way to the Loop, and truncate I-290 to I-88 at Downers Grove?

5. I'm surprised that I-80 is only four lanes for much of its length between I-55 and I-65.

6. I had no idea MDW was that close to I-55. The light poles on I-55 between MDW and the Loop are very tall.

7. In the suburbs, it seems that I-88 is a general dividing line between the bourgeoisie along and to the north, and the proletariat to the south.

8. I-55 is the highway where the heavy industry still is. I-57 and I-94 are the highways where the heavy industry used to be.

9. Maybe I was looking in the wrong area, but there didn't appear to be a "there" in Naperville.

10. Downer's Grove appears to be an "edge" city.

11. John Hancock Center apparently isn't in the Loop after all.

12. The basement of the Sears Tower, where you wait in line for hours, is poorly-lit and could use a facelift.

13. The Sears Tower ought to have Skydecks on all four sides, not just the west side.

14. Chicago gouges the **** out of people for parking. I parked in lots at the intersections of Illinois and Rush, and Michigan and Van Buren. Together, it cost me $74.

15. It turns out that my favorite scene in The Blues Brothers was filmed on Van Buren just a few blocks west of where I parked. I didn't find out until after I visited.

16. Chicago has a lot of park space, especially east of Michigan Avenue.

17. I ordered an Italian beef sandwich, mozzarella sticks, a chocolate malt and a Coke at Mr. Beef. Good stuff!

18. The size of Chicago alone makes it impossible to see the entire city in a weekend trip, and all the time spent stuck in traffic or waiting in line makes it even worse.

19. Soldier Field is a bizarre combination of ancient and post-modern architecture.

20. The best skyline views of Chicago are not from the Sears Tower, but from the lake cruise and the river taxis.

21. Chicago needs an Active Rock radio station, and should probably flip one of its FOUR Classic Rock stations to have it.

22. Chicago drivers are very fast on the Interstates, and use their horns very generously in city traffic. I felt lucky to only get honked at twice during the entire trip.

If I think of more stuff, I'll add it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 04:21 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,894,530 times
A long post, but I will address some items

4. The Reagan Memorial Tollway used to be IL Rte 5. It was designated I88 only so the speed limit could be raised.

14. The smart money solution to parking expenses is to park at a L station (such as Cumberland) for a small fee and ride the L downtown.

17. You shold try a Chicago style Hot dog and Pizza (deep dish) to get the best experience!

19. Soldier Field was built during the Roman Architectural revival period, and rebuilt around the millennium which accounts for this.

22. I've noticed that too as I usually stay at the speed limit.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:20 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,357 times
If you had a glassbox on all sides you'd just see parts of the building because it doesnt go straight down to the street.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:30 AM

186 posts, read 242,989 times
22. We are known for being aggressive drivers. We just don’t have time for slow people and are always trying to beat traffic.

11. John Hancock is in streeterville. (I believe! Maybe I stand corrected?) and has a way better view than the Sears Tower.

16 the parks aren’t too safe, don’t linger.

17 oh yes! Best food here.

2 the tolls like the traffic...we love to complain about.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:16 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post

16 the parks aren’t too safe, don’t linger.
this is complete nonsense.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:17 AM

128 posts, read 97,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
7. In the suburbs, it seems that I-88 is a general dividing line between the bourgeoisie along and to the north, and the proletariat to the south.
How far north and south? Surely you're not speaking of the tony North Shore kind of bourgeoisie. Hinsdale and most of Oak Brook are south of 88 and they're not too shabby.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:26 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
this is complete nonsense.
Yes, it is actually alarmingly stupid.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:30 AM

186 posts, read 242,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yes, it is actually alarmingly stupid.
I’d say it’s alarming stupid to say the parks are safe. Good Lord! are we taking about the same city?

Old 11-02-2017, 12:02 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,162 times
where are your statistics that crime disproportionately affects city parks? let me guess, you dont have any.

it dosent sound to me like you are cut out for city living. i see youve recently moved to St Charles. enjoy your time there. the rest of us will continue to make use of the incredible amenities this city offers without living our lives in irrational fear.

some of us on this forum even live and frequent establishments south of (*gasp*) Roosevelt Road! its a wonder any of us are alive to tell the tale at all. be sure to clutch your pearls next time you're in grant park or sunbathe at montrose beach. who knows what evils lurk beneath the bean!

Last edited by via chicago; 11-02-2017 at 12:11 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 12:24 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiegal View Post
I’d say it’s alarming stupid to say the parks are safe. Good Lord! are we taking about the same city?
What parks are you referring to and in what neighborhoods?

I've spent a lot of time in parks west of Michigan Ave. (which covers most parks other than Grant Park/Millennium Park). Nothing unsafe has ever happened to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago