Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 08:36 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,337,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaamburger View Post
I think the biggest misconception is Chicagoans are nice and have a Midwestern flair . No way chicagoans are rude and short tempered . I do not see majority of nice people greeting on street . Chicago is not like the rest of the midwest. We are more like New York not sure if it's new but the city is on edge.
What a bunch of baloney. I work in dt Chicago every day, and I see politeness in holding doors, even at McDonalds, coffee cups given to those out in the cold ( I saw three on the ground by a Salvation Army guy today) and order in getting on and off trains and public transportation. If you were lost, most Chicagoans would go out of their way to help you. Karma is everything, perhaps it is you that gives off the bad vibe,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 09:56 PM

222 posts, read 192,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
What a bunch of baloney. I work in dt Chicago every day, and I see politeness in holding doors, even at McDonalds, coffee cups given to those out in the cold ( I saw three on the ground by a Salvation Army guy today) and order in getting on and off trains and public transportation. If you were lost, most Chicagoans would go out of their way to help you. Karma is everything, perhaps it is you that gives off the bad vibe,
Well I am not at the happiest time in my life but I am not sure if I am projecting it on city kind of like what cane first chicken or egg am I unhappy with city or is city making me unhappy and noticing only negatives I can't tell you sorry .

I like Chicago on the macro scale not sure about a lot of people on micro I think the poorer nieghborhoods are nicer. The people that work in Kmart on Addison a real very friendly. The people at post office are rude as hell.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:26 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,269,778 times
I saw lots of both friendliness and rudeness during my 20 years in Chicago.

I usually got friendly service wherever I went. Even at the Post Office. Occasionally someone was surly, but it was the exception and not the rule.

Sometimes people on the street or at a train station would stop and offer to help me without my asking, just because I looked a bit lost. That was nice.

On the other hand, I did experience a lot of road rage and sidewalk rage in the city. I totally understand the comment above about people bumping into you and not saying "excuse me". It didn't happen to me often, but only because in addition to defensive driving, I also practiced "defensive walking" and constantly dodged other pedestrians so they wouldn't bump into me. But that wore me out at times.

Sometimes when trying to exit a very crowded train or bus, I would accidentally bump into people and then say I was sorry, and sometimes people would give me this look as if to say, "What are you apologizing for?"

The way someone once explained it to me, Chicagoans just don't have a "body bubble" the way people in less densely-populated cities do. If you bump into them, it's considered a non-issue.

And, on more than one or two occasions, sometimes people would cut in front of me in line at places like McDonald's or wherever, I'd call them on it and then get cursed out.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:54 PM

107 posts, read 117,955 times
1) It is business friendly.
2) People will tell you the truths.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:47 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,059,651 times
To me the biggest misconception is Chicago Pizza is deep dish pizza. Personally I always grew up eating thin crust pizza, and I believe if you look at the history if Pizza in Chicago it actually started because Tavern owners would put out a pizza to encourage the guys to hang around a bit longer and have a few drinks.

My family is from Pullman area, my grandpa worked at factories there, after work he'd go for a shot and a beer and they'd put out a pizza. This particular pizza joint moved out to the burbs but we still order pizza from there.

Personally I'm not a big fan of deep dish pizza, once in a blue moon I'll enjoy it to change things up but to me Chicago pizza is thin square cut pizza

Old 05-24-2018, 09:48 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,205,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
To me the biggest misconception is Chicago Pizza is deep dish pizza. Personally I always grew up eating thin crust pizza, and I believe if you look at the history if Pizza in Chicago it actually started because Tavern owners would put out a pizza to encourage the guys to hang around a bit longer and have a few drinks.

My family is from Pullman area, my grandpa worked at factories there, after work he'd go for a shot and a beer and they'd put out a pizza. This particular pizza joint moved out to the burbs but we still order pizza from there.

Personally I'm not a big fan of deep dish pizza, once in a blue moon I'll enjoy it to change things up but to me Chicago pizza is thin square cut pizza
and crispy not wimpy crust.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:13 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,763,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post

I agree. Deep dish pizza does not dominate. The thing about deep dish is that very few places get it right. Generally the standards: Uno/Due, Lou's, Gino's, etc. can pull it off....but most places that offer cannot. Thin pizza is different...it's not nearly that difficult to get it right. Thus there are far more places in Chicagoland that serve excellent thin pizza than deep dish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago