Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 08:42 AM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
I'm guessing this is true, I'm also just going to come right out and say that Big Ten schools have become far more selective over the past 30 years, both in terms of grades and in terms of money. It's really no longer the case that schools like Michigan or Illinois or Wisconsin are easily accessible for the best and brightest students in those states regardless of income, these institutions chase big money out of state students which drives up test scores, etc. You can't get into Michigan, my alma mater, without a 32 on the ACT, 45% of the students are from out of state. It isn't a place most suburban Detroit students feel they can aspire to, which in turn changes the culture of the place further

This has almost certainly led to serious cultural changes... the type of kid who went to a B1G school from a blue collar household and emerged as a kind of middle class person with working class tastes probably don't exist in as great of numbers, meaning that the tastes of recent grads of those particular schools are generally more "cultured" than they were in the 1980s.
Precisely. Not to mention the hordes of kids from China and India who are literally acing the standardized tests at such rates that they are making the universities question their entire admissions policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 12:20 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,193 times
[quote=jonnynonos;50124947]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post

The fact that you think you could skate through a career in financial services tells me all I need to know.

Anyway, the responses here confirm my initial observation about those who indulge in the "Chads" and "Trixies" stereotype:

Ironic moustaches with fixie: smart and worldly

Polo shirt with shorts: dumb, unthinking robot

Whatever helps you sleep at night. We all have defense mechanisms to deal with threats, jealousy etc.

It certainly hasn't been my experience.
Caution:

If you have a bloated sense of importance of the financial sector and/or are offended by the stereotypes in this thread, you may be a Chad.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:13 PM

[quote=thefallensrvnge;50127621]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post

Caution:

If you have a bloated sense of importance of the financial sector and/or are offended by the stereotypes in this thread, you may be a Chad.
No, it's just to really get anywhere the more ambitious people, for instance, need a top tier-MBA, often if not usually paired with a CFA.

Doing either by itself is extremely difficult. Doing both while working a high-pressured job is far beyond the capacity of most people.

As for me... who cares....

Old 11-14-2017, 05:36 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
[quote=thefallensrvnge;50127621]
Quote:

Caution:

More than a little truth here....

You could indulge in the stereotype that frat houses are just incubators for future "financial advisor, salesman, stockbroker, etc", but ultimately, there just might be some truth to the stereotype. A number of these guys just wanted the path of least resistance--no pesky quantum mechanics to learn, no science experiments, no difficult pre-med classes like organic chemistry, no complicated tort cases to wrangle about. They just wanted simple prose, with simple math, to go with simple tastes. There's nothing necessarily wrong with this, but there isn't much to admire, either....

Old 11-14-2017, 06:58 PM

[quote=MassVt;50130725]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post

More than a little truth here....

You could indulge in the stereotype that frat houses are just incubators for future "financial advisor, salesman, stockbroker, etc", but ultimately, there just might be some truth to the stereotype. A number of these guys just wanted the path of least resistance--no pesky quantum mechanics to learn, no science experiments, no difficult pre-med classes like organic chemistry, no complicated tort cases to wrangle about. They just wanted simple prose, with simple math, to go with simple tastes. There's nothing necessarily wrong with this, but there isn't much to admire, either....
Oh no we're getting REALLY pretentious!! LOL!!

Actually there are a lot of people with hard core scientific backgrounds in finance, particularly the quants.

Sure, if you're actually a quantum physicist -- which I am going to go out on a limb and guess you're not -- go ahead and turn your nose up at them and everybody else.

Yes, unless you're a quantum physicist or an Ivy doctor, you have accomplished nothing... and your life is meaningless!

Old 11-14-2017, 07:36 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
As a finance professional with a list of expensive and difficult-to-get credentials, I have to agree with thefallensrvnge. Outside of Goldman Sachs and a few other top banks, the top investment management firms, and the top plan sponsors, most people in finance are just pretty good. They are not quants, they have MBAs from second and third tier schools, and they just barely passed the CFA or else dropped out. Maybe 5-10% of the finance population would have made it in the sciences. The rest are good citizens, diligent, well schooled, but with relatively little imagination and creativity.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:06 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
As a finance professional with a list of expensive and difficult-to-get credentials, I have to agree with thefallensrvnge. Outside of Goldman Sachs and a few other top banks, the top investment management firms, and the top plan sponsors, most people in finance are just pretty good. They are not quants, they have MBAs from second and third tier schools, and they just barely passed the CFA or else dropped out. Maybe 5-10% of the finance population would have made it in the sciences. The rest are good citizens, diligent, well schooled, but with relatively little imagination and creativity.
That was actually my quote, and fallensrvnge said something else, but whatever....

I'll have to agree with you (Larry Siegel, so we can get our quotes straight). Most MBA types are fine, but hardly brilliant or earth-shaking in any way. They really don't have any real imagination, creativity, or think deeply about virtually anything. Status-seeking, without questioning the status quo, excessive drinking, obsessed with the latest car, etc. Nothing bad, but nothing exceptional, either.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
The point want to compare financial services to rocket scientists.

The point was that even if you are a Joe Schmo embarking in this career and you want to advance, you are likely very busy as a young person trying to get ahead.

I'm not sure what "making it in the sciences" even means.

You mean you don't think someone who passes the CFA would be able to, say, get a biology doctorate? Or geology?

I think that is, frankly, flat wrong in many if not most instances.

Anyway, maybe my experience/circles are, again, not everyone's. I knew a LOT of people who were easily positioned to go to medical school etc. and I would say the majority of the people I knew were from top schools with very impressive credentials.

You don't just walk into a financial firm and apply for a job and get it with middling grades and a bachelor degree from a mediocre university.

If so, I would like to know where.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
That was actually my quote, and fallensrvnge said something else, but whatever....

I'll have to agree with you (Larry Siegel, so we can get our quotes straight). Most MBA types are fine, but hardly brilliant or earth-shaking in any way. They really don't have any real imagination, creativity, or think deeply about virtually anything. Status-seeking, without questioning the status quo, excessive drinking, obsessed with the latest car, etc. Nothing bad, but nothing exceptional, either.
As opposed to whom?

Old 11-15-2017, 12:30 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
The point want to compare financial services to rocket scientists.

The point was that even if you are a Joe Schmo embarking in this career and you want to advance, you are likely very busy as a young person trying to get ahead.

I'm not sure what "making it in the sciences" even means.

You mean you don't think someone who passes the CFA would be able to, say, get a biology doctorate? Or geology?

I think that is, frankly, flat wrong in many if not most instances.

Anyway, maybe my experience/circles are, again, not everyone's. I knew a LOT of people who were easily positioned to go to medical school etc. and I would say the majority of the people I knew were from top schools with very impressive credentials.

You don't just walk into a financial firm and apply for a job and get it with middling grades and a bachelor degree from a mediocre university.

If so, I would like to know where.
The top end of finance is filled with Nobel Prize winners, actual rocket scientists who wanted to make money, and other geniuses. But the broad middle of the financial field - commercial bankers, middle and back office personnel at investment management firms, financial planners and advisors (who used to be called stockbrokers), etc. - are pretty good.

Making it in the sciences means getting a PhD in one of the hard sciences and then getting a job in that field. Much as I respect the knowledge that went into the CFA curriculum, I wouldn't bet on a CFA Level III candidate against a PhD candidate in one of the sciences at even a middle-ranked school (say, Arizona State) for pure cognitive ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago