U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-24-2009, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Near Chicago
3,108 posts, read 4,837,735 times
Reputation: 1465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
yeah, that's pretty astounding anyone could be that off-base. there isn't a single neighborhood in Chicago (and I'm not sure there has been for over 100 years) that is majority Irish. Ireland just wasn't that big to be sending a non-stop stream of people here, even back in the day.

Germany otoh...

Maybe Mt.Greenwood is the only one left. Most whites in this country are European mixed up, not many 100% one nationality white people around. The ones that are usually 100% of one European group are the new arrivals and the older people past 50 like my Ukrainian professor. White Americans of Eastern and Southern European descent tend to be more culturally ethnic than those that are of Western Euro descent like German, Irish, and the English who been in the US longer.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-24-2009 at 08:29 PM..

 
Old 09-24-2009, 09:28 PM
 
64 posts, read 87,421 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastonestanding View Post
Wow you are serious..... You can stick with your negative comments about the southside and if you don't like it then thats your opinion stick to whatever part of town you reside thats on you, it is what it is, but quit bashing a part of town where someone else has to live. By the way Ive lived on all three sides of town and Im not even a native to Chicago. You say the southside has no culture or activities.... Have you not heard of the Bud Billikan Parade, or the Dusable Museum, or Washington Park, need I go on???? Oh yeah and Garfield Park on the Westside. Theres so much culture on the southside you cant miss it. Go to 63rd Street Beach in the summer and see drummers in the park or check out the African American Festival in Washington Park... Go to numerous Southside nightclubs and you can learn the Southside version to ballroom dancing (a national phenomenon) Stepping.

Stop by a southside favorite "Harold's Chicken" for some real fried chicken... Theres so much on the southside that I can name that is classic southside that you can't find on the northside or outside of Chicago city limits for that matter. I see people out and about all the time all over the southside and Ive lived in Englewood, South Shore, Bronzeville, and the hundreds... Theres just as much diversity on the southside as there is on the northside (think about it....dont believe me...check the demographics) Quit bringing up the negatives... crime is everywhere, you acting like all we know is gangbangin.... South Chicago is home to me and it has just as much community pride as Atlanta and New York (I lived in Atlanta too so I would know)..... From one black man to another stop with the southside bashin ... please!!!! You hurtin yourself.....

HAHAHAHA Bud Billiken Parade??? Harold's Chicken???? You cant be serious? Diversity on the southside????LMAO!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAA

You really ARE serious!!!! HAHAHAHAH

Culture ha? hahahahahaha Thats what you call culture? a cheap ass chicken shack that sells fatty greasey chicken to overweight women and men in poor neighborhoods helping the put them in early graves from heart disease and high cholesterol, and a ghetto ass parade with a bunch of kids dancing in the streets like strippers. Yea real cultural. OK man I'll shut up and let you all keep pretending that you live somewhere great, when I know for a hard fact that its a ****hole that nobody with any real sense or money would stay in.
 
Old 09-24-2009, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Location Location
3,220 posts, read 5,860,260 times
Reputation: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
HAHAHAHA Bud Billiken Parade??? Harold's Chicken???? You cant be serious? Diversity on the southside????LMAO!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAA

You really ARE serious!!!! HAHAHAHAH

Culture ha? hahahahahaha Thats what you call culture? a cheap ass chicken shack that sells fatty greasey chicken to overweight women and men in poor neighborhoods helping the put them in early graves from heart disease and high cholesterol, and a ghetto ass parade with a bunch of kids dancing in the streets like strippers. Yea real cultural. OK man I'll shut up and let you all keep pretending that you live somewhere great, when I know for a hard fact that its a ****hole that nobody with any real sense or money would stay in.
you are pretty self loathing aren't you
 
Old 09-24-2009, 10:05 PM
 
Location: NC/IL/MI
3,559 posts, read 4,430,357 times
Reputation: 1511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
HAHAHAHA Bud Billiken Parade??? Harold's Chicken???? You cant be serious? Diversity on the southside????LMAO!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAAA

You really ARE serious!!!! HAHAHAHAH

Culture ha? hahahahahaha Thats what you call culture? a cheap ass chicken shack that sells fatty greasey chicken to overweight women and men in poor neighborhoods helping the put them in early graves from heart disease and high cholesterol, and a ghetto ass parade with a bunch of kids dancing in the streets like strippers. Yea real cultural. OK man I'll shut up and let you all keep pretending that you live somewhere great, when I know for a hard fact that its a ****hole that nobody with any real sense or money would stay in.
why do you even comment here?
 
Old 09-25-2009, 09:44 AM
 
8 posts, read 19,708 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
why do you even comment here?

He is lying. He isn't african-american. He just wanted to make a point.
That is terrible, however, very reminiscent of what other cultures - no I won't say other cultures....I mean to say "some people"... think about blacks. Very unfortunate, that African-American culture, would bother him and other's like him so much. These are things that make us happy, things that have passed down from generation, to generation.

All cultures have "some kind of food that you shouldn't eat!!! I can understand if you have never been a part of it how, you wouldn't understand it. But you don't down talk what you don't know anything about.

Regardless....God Bless you any way..."brother"!
I'll keep praying for you.
 
Old 09-25-2009, 09:55 AM
 
64 posts, read 87,421 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
why do you even comment here?
why do I comment here? OK well the topic reads " Why are there so many threads trashing South Side and West Side neighborhoods? "
Therefore I gave my opinion why. It seems to me that nobody in Chicago is allowed to have an opinion that goes against praising this city. Maybe because there are so many tasteless morons with blind biased opinions about Chicago like Lastonestanding who believe that Chicago is a great place because they never really gave anything else a chance; the southside actually desrves to be trashed because 85% of it is well....trash. And its funny how so many people lie to themselves when clearly if you go to the north side you can see the stark contrast. Im sorry I couldnt realistically support a part of the city where the crime rate is the highest in the country, there is no real culture, you cant walk the street at night without watching your back, the streets are filled with thugs, and bums....get real. Why do you accept this as being OK? Maybe Im not the problem here the real problem is you and your taste and what it is you will accept. Now not only is this community run down, there is no nightlife (at least worth being bothered with), no sense of community, no businesses outside of dollar stores, cleaners, cellphone stores, liquors stores or chicken shacks. No smart businesses will even dare to invest in the south or west side. Tell me this, as big as the southside and west side are, why is their only 2 major book stores (Borders in Hyde Park and in Beverly)????????Answer that? The southside and the westside are not communities you want to live in if you have any real interests in life, now if you are a regular Joe who just goes to work, comes home locks the doors and stays in the house, never talks to the neighbors then fine this is where you belong. But a person likes me when I get off work I need more out of life, thats why I live up north. When I get home I can ride my bike on the lake, play volleyball, run, go to a cafe, bookstore, shopping, bakeries, walk the streets at night and hit several bars, clubs, restaurants, museums, art exhibits, bowling, pool, the possibilities are endless. Now when you look at it from that perspective this is why people trash the southside, not because of racial issues, but simply because the quality of life on the southside is awful in comparison to somewhere else. This is the reason why people would rather be roommates with a stranger on the north side as oppose to living by themself on the southside.

And by the way I am very much a black person.....but race has nothing to do with this....its about common sense and taste. And being black has nothing to do with liking or not liking "black neighborhoods" or Harolds chicken, or Bud Billiken parade, so dont go there....if you equate being black to accepting that then something is clearly wrong with you. The southside and the westside for the most part is pretty much rundown and crime infested and thats just the facts.
 
Old 09-25-2009, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Near Chicago
3,108 posts, read 4,837,735 times
Reputation: 1465
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
you are pretty self loathing aren't you

Yes he is
 
Old 09-25-2009, 10:20 AM
 
64 posts, read 87,421 times
Reputation: 57
I think the real problem with you all is that they have an unrealistic level of pride. There is a thin line between pride and foolishness and so many south and west siders walk that line. Everyone I know from this city is so proud of it, why I have no clue? Here is a list of reasons why you people dont realize you look stupid for defending Chicago:

1. The murder rate is sky high in the black communities, and the police force doesnt give a **** because well...............its in the black communities.

2. Chicago is SUPER segregated....and the black people all live in the worst area of the city. Enough said.

3. A large majority of white people in Chicago are EXTREMELY racist, closet racism is a Chicago staple. Most of them arent even from here and never dealt with blacks in there life until they moved here in there 20's.

4. Black men in Chicago have absolutely no leverage, thus the crime rate is out of control.

5. The education system is in the ****ter. The average black person in Chicago talks and thinks on an elementary school level. Ebonics is the native tongue of the south and west side....and its acceptable. SMH!!

6.The systematic blackballing to keep blacks in "there place" makes me want to scream.

7. Daley is the biggest corrupt racist you can find who rips off taxpayers every chance he gets to fund his racket. he doesnt give a **** about the south or west side......his only concerns are downtown, northside, and the ****ing Olympics

I could go on and on and on but you know what Im gonna let you blind bats enjoy your "paradise".


But hey keep holding up that southside and westside flag people, LOL!!
 
Old 09-25-2009, 10:21 AM
 
Location: St. Augustine
9,258 posts, read 11,441,516 times
Reputation: 7395
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
you are pretty self loathing aren't you

I don't think he hates himself, he just hates the South Side, fine. Why the pop psychology, the cheap Goebbles Twist of accusing people who hate something of hating themeselves?
 
Old 09-25-2009, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Near Chicago
3,108 posts, read 4,837,735 times
Reputation: 1465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
and you are a clown with no brains, or balls. You want to accepted so you say what is safe. You are the type to accept whatever life hands you because you have no strength to fight for what you actually deserve. You are a punk. You live in Harvey and you shouldnt even be in here. Beat it.

Beat it troll

Look, I don't accept everything what the southside current state. I'm not naive to beleive the southside doesn't need change, but I'm not stupid enough to say the whole southside is a ghetto like you. You keep bringing up that I live in Harvey. Obviously me living here give me some credibility in knowing what the hell an American ghetto is when I see it.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-25-2009 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top