Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 06:56 AM

2,912 posts, read 5,129,458 times

Advertisements

I realize Chicago has two local sports stations, both on the AM dial...nothing on FM? Boston's two main sports stations are on FM, with an AM just for ESPN national programming (and Boston College football, and select basketball and hockey games). On morning drive, we have two local, non-syndicated stations, from 6 am Monday to Friday, all the way to 11 pm or midnight, depending on the time of year. The local sports teams' games do interrupt the sports talk as necessary.

It seems Chicago's morning drive has ESPN syndicated shows on 1000 AM, and the only local programming is on 670 AM The Score? Is there local programming on 1000 AM later in the day and parts of the weekends?

Boston is so lucky to have the two local stations live and local most of the weekday hours, plus some local programming there even on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 11:17 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,488,154 times
WSCR is primarily local 24/7, some local shows on weekends 6a-noon depending on the season. CBS national is heard on weekends when there is no local and when there is a game conflict.

ESPN does have local too usually 9a-midnight. Here is their schedule.
ESPNRadio1000 - Radio Schedule - ESPN Chicago

Old 11-13-2017, 03:52 PM

306 posts, read 476,482 times
The two Chicago radio stations are extremely different.

For those who like local sports, the vast majority listen to Mulley and Hanley on 670AM and then switch over to ESPN 1000 after that.

From 9-6 WSCR is far far left political/social issues/sports driven, while ESPN1000 does not divulge into politics.
All you have to do is look at the hosts twitter feed if you like.

Does not make one better than the other, its just what you like.

If you like plane vanilla sports, ESPN1000 is for ya, if you are a SJW and like that in your sports, WSCR is for ya after 9am.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:49 AM

79 posts, read 94,464 times
After Mike and Mike in the morning, I believe WMVP 1000's weekday schedule is all local. Kap & Co., Carmen & Jurko, Waddle & Silvy, etc.

WMVP is more boilerplate ESPN. It's mostly local hosts/shows, but it's not uncommon for national ESPN personalities/reporters to have regularly scheduled spots on its airwaves.

WSCR has more of a mom and pop feel and is more personality-based. Of course, all radio is personality-based to an extent, but since the Score doesn't have the resources of ESPN at it's disposal, it seems they lean more into this. This makes for both good (love me some Laurence Holmes) and bad radio (Dan Bernstein...just the worst).

Though strangely enough, the Cubs are the only team on either station (670). The Sox and Bulls are on WLS-890 (mostly conservative talk radio), the Bears on WBBM 780 (news radio, WSCR sister station) and the Hawks on WGN-720 (talk).

Old 11-14-2017, 03:38 PM

Bernstein is the worst! Agreed above. Found show funny back in the early 2000s', but the constant berating of callers and schtick just got to be too much.

Now WSCR is a social justice warrior channel led funny enough by Bernstein who made an inappropriate comment over a comcast report and now still making up by going over the top in social issues.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:38 PM

1,022 posts, read 765,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
Bernstein is the worst! Agreed above. Found show funny back in the early 2000s', but the constant berating of callers and schtick just got to be too much.

Now WSCR is a social justice warrior channel led funny enough by Bernstein who made an inappropriate comment over a comcast report and now still making up by going over the top in social issues.
True I was a big fan of WSCR when they first started up years ago but they have not been the same and started losing me long ago. But Bernstein was the final straw that made me stop listening to that station completely. Not a huge fan of WMVP but they are the lesser of two evils by far. I do wish they had a morning show based on Chicago sports though

Old 11-15-2017, 09:51 AM

150 posts, read 292,549 times
Bernstein is cool, I enjoy his stuff. The guy is intelligent and fearlessly outspoken - I appreciate that.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:01 AM

529 posts, read 639,165 times
Its kind of funny that the ESPN station is the one NOT focusing on left wing political issues. Their cable TV network? forget about it.

Edit, Terry Boers (Sp?) was funny, Bernstein is a schlub. His show now stinks.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:31 AM

1,022 posts, read 765,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeman7 View Post
Its kind of funny that the ESPN station is the one NOT focusing on left wing political issues. Their cable TV network? forget about it.

Edit, Terry Boers (Sp?) was funny, Bernstein is a schlub. His show now stinks.
Bernstein sounds like a very angry negative man and I just do not need that when I am trying to enjoy a radio program. there is no point in being that way especially on the radio. Sports are suppose to be fun and he gets paid big bucks to talk about what most people do for free because they enjoy talking sports and he seems to act like it is a chore or something.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:37 PM

Bernstein negative spiel to call callers idiots schtick ran old after a while and then he grabbed onto social justice warrior after he made a comment on twitter commenting on a female sports reporter and got blasted. I used to listen to him and Boers back in the day, but just got unlistenable.

When I can I do Mulley/Hanley in the morning, Kap &Co, and then Waddle and Silvey. Also love J-Hood as well.

Will say the best sports radio in Chicago history was on 670 after Bears games and that was Buffone and O'B. They were the best!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: