Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:09 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times

Advertisements

Bottled water is carried in PVC more often than not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 10:14 PM

414 posts, read 884,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Bottled water is carried in PVC more often than not.
Most plastics have some leeching effects. They leech more readily at higher temperatures so water bottles kept in the sun or hot PVC pipes will get those wonderjuices going. Although, I've noticed a lot of water bottles have been getting thinner. Less plastic=less chems=good?

There are alternative plastics made from biomass. The best plant matter for doing it is, unfortunately, illegal to grow. Wouldn't want to upset the petrol stranglehold over plastics and textiles now would we?

Old 04-04-2009, 12:34 PM

27 posts, read 137,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofTheValley View Post
hmmm, my posst seems to have disappeared.
I live and work in Oak Park. For the past week or so the water at both my apartment and my office has smelled terrible; a very strong skunk smell. I looked at the Oak park Village website to see if there was any info. It says that they clean the water mains every spring. Maybe they're doing it now? I don't know. I left a message for the water and sewer rep for the village and will post when I get a response. And, I'm concerned that, even if there is a problem, they wouldn't admit it.
1. Sorry for not getting back with the response from the Oak Park Water people.

Early on the 23rd, I left a message asking to be contacted re the smell that had lasted for a few days. Later that evening the smell was gone! Of course, they didn't respond to my call until the next day! On the 24th, they came over to my office and to my apartment to do a chlorine test. There wasn't much else they could do since they could only rely on my verbal description of the smell (strong chemical skunky). The water in both places tested well within the limits for chlorine content. They said they test many locations throughout Oak Park monthly for a whole gambit of contaminants and had found no problems.

Ok, fast forward to last night (April 3rd). I had completely forgotten about the water issue from two weeks ago. Last night I went to fill my glass at the tap and the smell was back! The smell was so strong I couldn't get past it to drink the water. I let the tap run for a few minutes but it didn't dissipate. My husband took a shower this morning and the smell in the bathroom was overwhelming. He's got a pretty good nose, but not as sensitive as mine. He said, "Yeah, I smell something, but it smells like tap water." I will contact the Oak Park Water people again, but I expect the same outcome.

By the way, I have lived in Oak Park for nearly two years. For the first year, out of habit, we used a filter on the tap. But for the last year and some-odd months we haven't, and have been fine with the tap water. Chicago water is actually quite decent. We never would have drank the tap water in Los Angeles.

2. Someone asked if I might be pregnant.
A. Why? Are you looking for a baby? Nope, not pregnant.

3. Someone asked about possible brain damage.
A. Certainly possible.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:49 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
Do yourselef a favor. Rent a water conditioner. Use potassioum salt as it the only cuirrently manufactured that is eco-friendly. These units come in all sizes and shapes for different situation. It can be set to recyle once a week or twice while you are at work.

For home owners, Sears sells the unit and they salt and intalls.

There is not difference in units. The difference is in the set up instructions as most units are pre-set to use choride salt.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,665 times
Default I smell it, too!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
Ok, people are going to think I'm nuts again or just super paranoid...since my last post was about a smell!

But in all seriousness, has anyone else noticed the smell of water around chicago besides me, and how it's changing...

I've never smelled it like that in my whole life in chicago...kind of a moldy smell mixed with spruce. I'm cracking up as i type this, but i am being serious. People at my work don't notice it, but to me it's so obvious there's something different about the tap water...to the point where I'm not drinking it anymore...

Ok, thank GOD I googled this today, because I thought I was losing my mind recently. I'm not the only one!!! About a week ago I thought there was something wrong with my apartment (in Lakeview) pipes or something, once I discovered that this weird new smell was coming from the sinks, toilets, and showers. It's been driving me crazy!! Then, this week I came into work (in the Loop) and the water I was getting out of the faucet smells the exact same way. What in the world is going on?!?! No way is this bad pipes or tastes of Lake Michigan changing, because it seriously changed within a matter of a day or two.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:27 AM

4 posts, read 12,136 times
We moved to Chicago a month ago and live in Lakeview. The smells are so bad in our apartment we don't know what to do. The whole neighborhood, and not just our apartment, smells like a combination of rotten banana, stinky feet, and peppermint. It's gross and I can't get it out of my nose. The other night it was so bad I actually thought I was either pregnant or had a brain tumor. I went to the store and got a sinus rinse and nose spray, and no joke, I then went to the doctor and got a Z-pack of penicillin in case I actually did have a sinus infection. The smell was lessened, but guess what? It's still here. I wish someone would just explain: It's the lake dumby! Or that: It's the sewage smell coming up into your 11th floor apartment from the pipes. But when the air conditioner is on, or the fan in the conditioning unit, or the window is open, it seems to be coming from outside. Is this just how Chicago smells? I really don't like it and it makes me feel like throwing up. If it was just musty decaying of old leaves I think I could handle it, but the smell is sickly sweet and festering like something died. Could it be carpet glue? And yes, I smell it in the water - like dirty feet. I got a Britta filter pitcher and that's helped. Anyone else? And no, you are all not crazy, and I hope I'm not either!

Old 10-28-2009, 06:16 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirstenT View Post
We moved to Chicago a month ago and live in Lakeview. The smells are so bad in our apartment we don't know what to do. The whole neighborhood, and not just our apartment, smells like a combination of rotten banana, stinky feet, and peppermint. It's gross and I can't get it out of my nose. The other night it was so bad I actually thought I was either pregnant or had a brain tumor. I went to the store and got a sinus rinse and nose spray, and no joke, I then went to the doctor and got a Z-pack of penicillin in case I actually did have a sinus infection. The smell was lessened, but guess what? It's still here...
Sounds like a douching problem on your end.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,387 times
Ive noticed the smell, as have the people I work with and many of my friends... but what is it? why does it smell funny suddenly? Is it dangerous? ???

Old 01-04-2010, 07:03 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I just smelled the water.....nothing.

I don't know what's up with people smelling things, let alone the water. Maybe the world is ending.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:10 PM

867 posts, read 2,138,890 times
How about we clean the lake and the water? anyways waters fine here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago