U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 01:28 PM

4,018 posts, read 2,842,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
"Lack of easy access" is not the same as "disconnected". It is actually quite straightforward to take SURFACE STREETS from Evanston to O'Hare, generally about a 30 minute drive even in rather heavy traffic...
Chet,

I know you are trying to help, but it's clear to me you haven't had to drive this route in recent years. It's closer to 45 minutes (minimum) from the EV lakefront in light traffic lately using surface streets from EV to ORD. Perhaps if you are already almost all the way west to Skokie you could get close to 30 minutes. YMMV. There's simply no 'end run' per se.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 02:33 PM

28,461 posts, read 75,173,060 times
My point was not to argue about the LENGTH of the drive but rather that there is nothing unusual about getting from Evanston to O'Hare -- the fact is that it won't be any quicker from other towns further north along the lake -- the travel hassles are a function of how the Edens nor any of the transit options are not optimized for travel to O'Hare...

If somebody needs to get to O'Hare on regular basis is smarter to be closer to the Tri-State.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:38 PM

975 posts, read 1,872,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Evanston Restaurants are also many, varied and good.

Tapas Barcelona
Lou Malnati's Pizza
Joy Yee's Noodle Kitchen
Pete Miller's Seafood
The Lucky Platter
Campagnola
Blind Faith Cafe
Crêperie Saint Germain
D&D Dogs (good gyros)
Cross Rhodes (casual greek food - authentic as owner is Greek herself)
Le Peep
The Olive Mountain (a favorite of mine)
NaKorn
Taco Diablo
Kabul House
Looked at both your post, and you forgot Soulwich and Edzo's in downtown Evanston. That's okay, since there are a LOT of great places to eat up there! Also for the north side of Evanston(near Green Bay and Central, used to be one by the Noyes 'L stop too), there is Linz and Vail for gelato. On the south side of Evanston near Dempster and Chicago(Clark St. in Chicago), there's the more recent Frio Gelato. Plus the Lucky Platter and La Principal, are great places to eat near Main and Chicago. If you're into beer at all, Sketchbook has a taproom right by there, and it's a GREAT place to try beer at. Don't forget that they do NOT serve food there, but they permit BYOB from any nearby place to eat. I recommend La Principal, but one of these days I probably should try Cross Rhodes for myself!

Back to the far north side of Evanston near Green Bay and Central, Prairie Joe's is a great diner. I might be slightly biased, since I've known the family that owns this diner for years. It used to be called Jordan's Snack Bar, but it was renamed to Prairie Joe's back in the 1990s, and is still a great breakfast and lunch place to eat at. Great artwork on the walls, as well. I've tried urging that family to consider taking cards, but sadly that place is still cash only. Just be aware they ONLY take cash(and I think also checks? not 100% sure, since I'm mainly either a cash or using my card guy. but just have noticed others paying via check), if you eat there.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:56 AM

944 posts, read 898,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
That's how they try and sell it, but it doesn't fit reality, in my view. I mean, I guess it's all relative-- it's certainly more connected to the city than Libertyville, Naperville, or Crown Point, but it's still pretty far out there from a downtown perspective.
To me, when I think of the city I am not thinking of The Loop... my interests would lie in trendy north side neighborhoods with bars and restaurants.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:16 AM

1,083 posts, read 572,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
my interests would lie in trendy north side neighborhoods with bars and restaurants.
That's an extremely limited portion of the city, and not really even the most "trendy bar and restaurant" part (if that's your thing) anymore. That tends to be West Loop or maybe Logan Square these days.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:24 PM

222 posts, read 143,516 times
When I go to Evanston it's usually on western Ave then turns into Ashbury and you look at all the nice houses you can easily pass downtown and end up on Green Bay road there should be a big sign that says downtown turn right.

When in down town that Elgin street is jacked up you can accidently get on it and it suits you out of downtown.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:57 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,865,244 times
I miss Cafe Hookah

Old 12-07-2017, 06:30 PM

Evanston is one of the most isolated suburbs in all of Chicagoland from highway access. Suburbs to the north are closer to the Eden's because Evanston is farther east due to the curvature of lake Michigan.

I do not see a reason to live in Evanston if you go shopping south by Howard is not that great and west in lincolnwood is to crowded ever go to that Walmart might be the busiest in the world .

Old 12-08-2017, 07:29 AM

4,018 posts, read 2,842,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaamburger View Post
Evanston is one of the most isolated suburbs in all of Chicagoland from highway access. Suburbs to the north are closer to the Eden's because Evanston is farther east due to the curvature of lake Michigan.

I do not see a reason to live in Evanston if you go shopping south by Howard is not that great and west in lincolnwood is to crowded ever go to that Walmart might be the busiest in the world .
Wrong demographic. The typical person wanting to live in Evanston is not the Wally World shopper.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Wrong demographic. The typical person wanting to live in Evanston is not the Wally World shopper.
Lol support your local small business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or