U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 09:00 AM

1,552 posts, read 1,865,244 times

Advertisements

Well, you're talking about taking a non-commuter train from one city to another - 40-45 minutes is pretty damn good (at least relative to American standards). As for connecting to those different neighborhoods, well, it's a train, not a taxi service. Even an hour from Evanston to Bridgeport, Pilsen, UIC, etc, is impressive (again, relative to other US cities).

A kindle makes those train rides fly by very quickly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 10:10 AM

1,083 posts, read 572,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Well, you're talking about taking a non-commuter train from one city to another
Ha. So, which is it? Is Evanston a completely different city, separate from Chicago, that is only 40-45 minutes away from a certain central part of the separate city that is Chicago? I agree that if you approach it with that mentality, and that's what you're looking for, you're likely to be satisfied with it.

Others, though (including some on this thread), would have you believe that Evanston is a part of Chicago for all practical purposes but name only. If you approach it that way (and wish to be quickly tied to parts of Chicago other than Rogers Park, Edgewater, and Uptown), you're going to view it quite differently in terms of travel times.

You can't have it both ways, I guess, is what I'm saying. Yes, it's one of the closer suburbs of Chicago. Yes, it's very close to the far North Side neighborhoods of Chicago. It's still not nearly as tied in with the vast majority of the city as the more central city neighborhoods are, however.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:14 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,909,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
Agreed for the most part. Although - I will say that certain adjacent suburbs are much ****tier than others.

Evanston and Oak Park a tier above all adjacents, with Berwyn & Wilmette being runners up. The adjacent south-side suburbs are bad and getting worse.

In total agreement, then you lost me at "Berwyn".

Old 12-13-2017, 10:25 AM

1,083 posts, read 572,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
In total agreement, then you lost me at "Berwyn".
It's not really any more or less off-base than Evanston, as far as access to the city. I mean, sure, it's further from Edgewater, Uptown and Wrigley, if that's your scene, but it's more convenient to West Loop, Pilsen, the entire Blue Line, and even The Loop itself, for that matter.

And parts of it are really not much different than Oak Park, in terms of non-shi*ttiness, whereas parts of Evanston are really not that much different from some of the worst parts of Rogers Park.

Lots of gray area when it comes to these types of neighborhood and inner suburb discussions.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:55 AM

6,360 posts, read 7,247,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Ha. So, which is it? Is Evanston a completely different city, separate from Chicago, that is only 40-45 minutes away from a certain central part of the separate city that is Chicago? I agree that if you approach it with that mentality, and that's what you're looking for, you're likely to be satisfied with it.

Others, though (including some on this thread), would have you believe that Evanston is a part of Chicago for all practical purposes but name only. If you approach it that way (and wish to be quickly tied to parts of Chicago other than Rogers Park, Edgewater, and Uptown), you're going to view it quite differently in terms of travel times.

You can't have it both ways, I guess, is what I'm saying. Yes, it's one of the closer suburbs of Chicago. Yes, it's very close to the far North Side neighborhoods of Chicago. It's still not nearly as tied in with the vast majority of the city as the more central city neighborhoods are, however.
Yes, Evanston is not attached to the expressway system and thus it is not necessarily an easy connection to go to either Old Orchard Rd, Dempster, or Touhy to gain access to the Edens.

But the key place that you would want your community to be attached to is downtown Chicago. And on that score, I think Evanston is extremely well served. And I'm not speaking just about Metra and CTA el which cover the community well with 3 stations each. It doesn't get better than that.

But I am also including what may not be the obvious (although I think it should): Evanston by car....basically Sheridan Rd (or Ridge or even Clark) to Lake Shore Drive....is not a bad commute. The Drive, for all the back up it can get, is far better than the Edens/Kennedy, Eisenhower, Ryan, and Stevenson giving access into and out of the city's core.

Besides, the vast majority of people do not drive downtown; they take public transportation and, as I noted, that puts Evanston among the elite suburbs for commuter rail.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:29 AM

8,280 posts, read 10,221,036 times
If you were commuting from Evanston, to the U of Chicago Medical Center ( or Rush U), by public transit, then yes, it would take quite a while. For other north-side Chicago neighborhoods, then it's a bargain.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:36 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,865,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post

Maybe it's been a long day, but I'm not quite following. Evanston has an identity separate from Chicago, but due to its proximity there is naturally a strong connection. As for travel time, I've been looking at properties in Bronzeville/Douglas, streets in the 30s and 40s, and the commute to the loop is 35-45 minutes. Think about that - a suburb 15 miles away from the loop has comparable commuting times to Chicago neighborhoods a third of the distance.

And do people really think or treat Evanston as a Chicago neighborhood? I would say it has a reputation of being a college town with expensive homes and a large walkable downtown.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:09 PM

12,731 posts, read 16,253,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
If you were commuting from Evanston, to the U of Chicago Medical Center ( or Rush U), by public transit, then yes, it would take quite a while. For other north-side Chicago neighborhoods, then it's a bargain.
Actually, that wouldn't be too bad, just a transfer between L lines. Getting to Schaumburg or Oak Brook, on the other hand, would require the patience of a Saint.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:30 AM

68 posts, read 51,592 times
I'd prioritize being near friends. South Evanston isn't much farther from Edgewater than Ravenswood, but the access from there to other city neighborhoods--Andersonville, Lakeview, Logan Square-- makes Ravenswood a much easier base for meeting up.

If you want Evanston, look at the commute schedule from Main St, or Davis metra, & be very near the train. I wouldn't live up by Central Street. It's not far mile-wise, but South Evanston to North Evanston feels like a whole new leg of a journey.

Set it up so your wife gets the best possible commute--see the express trains, and no changing from el or bus to metra. Fast, walkable access to single mode of transport commute is exponentially less stressful than needing to drive, or switch. It sounds like you're doing that already, but just want to emphasize.

If you're in South Evanston, near the train, it's pretty painless to meet up in Rogers Park, Edgewater. Outside commute hours, the drive isn't usually bad either.

One more thing, even if it's not much farther for them, just as going "into the city" is an obstacle for many suburbanites, going "up" to Evanston isnt something many city folk are eager to do very often (if ever!). It's hard to relocate, and adjust to a new job, make it easy to be connected to people you already know well & like. Of course you can & will make new friends, but there's nothing like old friends.

Good luck with your move & decisions.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:13 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,289,300 times
I guess that I am one of those rare city dwellers who ventures up to Evanston. I live by Foster, so I'm pretty close. I like the movie theater there. There's a nice little shopping district there. There's a Trader Joe's I go to sometimes as well. Hoosier Mama is awesome for pies - I love the passion fruit meringue when they have it. Northwestern has a very good theater department, so there are good productions there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or