U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 12:29 PM

457 posts, read 272,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Maybe it's been a long day, but I'm not quite following. Evanston has an identity separate from Chicago, but due to its proximity there is naturally a strong connection. As for travel time, I've been looking at properties in Bronzeville/Douglas, streets in the 30s and 40s, and the commute to the loop is 35-45 minutes. Think about that - a suburb 15 miles away from the loop has comparable commuting times to Chicago neighborhoods a third of the distance.

And do people really think or treat Evanston as a Chicago neighborhood? I would say it has a reputation of being a college town with expensive homes and a large walkable downtown.
I have lots of experience with Bronzeville at this point and strongly disagree about your transit time into the loop. 43rd street green line: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/35+W...41.8166653!3e3

Even taking the bus from the 30s and 40s in Bronzeville is faster than the commute from Evanston... you have to realize that a property at 38th street is only 4 miles south of the city center, and pretty close to the east/west coordinates of the city center.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 12:33 PM

222 posts, read 143,503 times
I don't get where people get these travel times I live by the Irving Brown line and it can take on average 45 minutes to commute you have to walk to the station your not going to get to station right when train leaves so you need ten minute cushion. And it takes half hour once on train to get to loop so Evanston has to be way longer . You have to transfer on to red line from purple that can take ten extra minutes if you just miss red line and have to wait for next.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:26 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,864,930 times
Barring delays, purple express is 40-45 minutes from Davis to the Loop; as for purple to red, well sure, that will add another 20 minutes or so. As for Bronzeville, I was just going by Google Maps from several properties in the 40s. For instance, 4738 S Evans Ave is 35-45 minutes to Adams/Wabash depending if you take the 4 or the Green line. Davis to Adams/Wabash is 45 minutes by purple express.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:33 PM

222 posts, read 143,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Barring delays, purple express is 40-45 minutes from Davis to the Loop; as for purple to red, well sure, that will add another 20 minutes or so. As for Bronzeville, I was just going by Google Maps from several properties in the 40s. For instance, 4738 S Evans Ave is 35-45 minutes to Adams/Wabash depending if you take the 4 or the Green line. Davis to Adams/Wabash is 45 minutes by purple express.
You can't just include the exact time from you getting on L to getting off L you have to walk or drive from house wait up to ten minutes for train then when you get downtown you have to walk to work that is all included in total commute . I had to give myself an hour sometime to go from northcenter to loop. I am a twenty minute drive South of Evanston.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:49 AM

457 posts, read 272,138 times
Evanston is pretty far from the city.

I can get to a previous job (dearborn/lake street) in about 30-35 minutes - walk and wait included from Bronzeville or Oak Park. Evanston would take at least another 20-25 minutes...

That said, I wouldn't mind an hour commute! It isn't a bad thing to me - but some people would hate this.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:27 AM

3,887 posts, read 4,827,122 times
If you live near a UP-N Metra station, you can get to Evanston in no time. I live near the Ravenswood stop and can step foot in downtown Evanston in less than 20 minutes from my apartment door if I time the Metra right. The train ride itself is 10 minutes from that station. I would also say that Evanston is almost always faster to get to via transit than driving, at least in my experience. It just seems to take forever to get there via car once LSD ends.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:02 PM

7,144 posts, read 6,610,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaamburger View Post
You can't just include the exact time from you getting on L to getting off L you have to walk or drive from house wait up to ten minutes for train then when you get downtown you have to walk to work that is all included in total commute . I had to give myself an hour sometime to go from northcenter to loop. I am a twenty minute drive South of Evanston.
Does the L sometimes pass you up while you are on the track waiting, when its so full that they cant fit any more people on, so they do an express from maybe Belmont all the way to Lake and all the poor people freezing in the cold 30 below 0 wind chill have to watch their anticipated train whizz by? They did that when i used to take the L.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:04 PM

7,144 posts, read 6,610,628 times
Evanston has about 6 sections of types of homes, very interesting and pretty! There is the old mansions in 2 areas (historic by the hospital there and north side, then then downtown, then the sorta ordinary part but still nice, and maybe some others. This makes Evanston a really cool place to live and bike ride just seeing the different homes and theres lots of variety of restaurants and shoppes. The Davis Fish Market restaurant makes you feel like you are not in Illinois. The lake is right there to enjoy.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:09 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,864,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Does the L sometimes pass you up while you are on the track waiting, when its so full that they cant fit any more people on, so they do an express from maybe Belmont all the way to Lake and all the poor people freezing in the cold 30 below 0 wind chill have to watch their anticipated train whizz by? They did that when i used to take the L.
Sometimes.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:53 PM

4,018 posts, read 2,841,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Evanston has about 6 sections of types of homes, very interesting and pretty! There is the old mansions in 2 areas (historic by the hospital there and north side, then then downtown, then the sorta ordinary part but still nice, and maybe some others. This makes Evanston a really cool place to live and bike ride just seeing the different homes and theres lots of variety of restaurants and shoppes. The Davis Fish Market restaurant makes you feel like you are not in Illinois. The lake is right there to enjoy.
That restaurant closed in 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or