U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 04:15 AM

6,360 posts, read 7,263,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
I've been thinking about this ever since you said it, and I guess you're mostly right, technically speaking. Ann Arbor isn't quite part of the Detroit metro, even though it's almost as close to the Detroit airport as downtown Detroit is. Boulder isn't technically part of the Denver metro area, though it feels like it to me. (It's closer to central Denver than Naperville is to central Chicago.) The eastern edge of Lawrence, KS is literally 6 miles from the western edge of metro KC (Johnson County, KS)-- close but no cigar. These places all feel way more like college towns to me than Evanston does, but they don't quite officially qualify as being part of a major metro area.

I'd say Norman, OK (part of the OKC metro) used to feel more like a college town than Evanston, and arguably still does at times, but it has pretty much been overtaken by suburban sprawl-type housing developments lately, so I'll give you that one.

The big one to me, though, is Berkeley. That's part of the SF metro, right? To me it has always been one of the quintessential college towns, but I admit I haven't been there in a decade or two. Has it become so overtaken by Silicon Valley that it doesn't feel like a college town anymore? Or is it officially outside of the metro?

It seems like there have to be others I'm missing, but perhaps not.
Your sense of geography and what constitutes a metro area pretty much aligns with mine. Yes, I see both Boulder and Ann Arbor as truly peripheral to their respective metro areas.

yes, of course Berkeley is part of the "SF metro" although its obscured in that connection because "Sf metro" doesn't exist......and the Bay Area really is a metro of different regions and many of those regions have little to do with San Francisco. Both Cal and Stanford have traditionally and up to today been associated with San Francisco.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 04:30 AM

1,083 posts, read 574,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Your sense of geography and what constitutes a metro area pretty much aligns with mine. Yes, I see both Boulder and Ann Arbor as truly peripheral to their respective metro areas.
It's not my "sense," though. I used the official MSA definitions as defined by the US government. (Like I said, I don't personally view Boulder as being outside of the Denver area at all...but technically it is by current metro area definitions.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
yes, of course Berkeley is part of the "SF metro" although its obscured in that connection because "Sf metro" doesn't exist......
Sure it does: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Fr...atistical_Area

So, if Berkeley is in it, my question would be whether Berkeley really feels like less of a college town than Evanston these days? It's difficult for me to imagine, but I haven't been there in so long that I can't really give an informed opinion.

Just saying it might be the only exception I can think of to your thought-provoking claim about Evanston, though I would say it has less to do with Evanston feeling like a college town than it does with the fact that classic college towns rarely exist near major cities. I suppose that's what makes them feel like classic college towns, though. If Lawrence were absorbed by KC or Bloomington were absorbed by Indy, they'd probably go the way of Norman. Boulder would probably already be there if not for their use of a "green belt" to isolate themselves.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:51 AM

597 posts, read 461,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Evanston Restaurants are also many, varied and good.

Tapas Barcelona
Lou Malnati's Pizza
Joy Yee's Noodle Kitchen
Pete Miller's Seafood
The Lucky Platter
Campagnola
Blind Faith Cafe
Crêperie Saint Germain
D&D Dogs (good gyros)
Cross Rhodes (casual greek food - authentic as owner is Greek herself)
Le Peep
The Olive Mountain (a favorite of mine)
NaKorn
Taco Diablo
Kabul House
Great restaurant city, but a laughably bad bar city - due to the historical prohibition on businesses that are primarily bars (as opposed to full restaurants with bars inside). It's come a long way since I was in school in the early 1990s, and you're drinking options are larger than ever. But, still, I wish there were more bar bars, low key, chill, not fancy. I guess Chicago is close enough. Or maybe Evanston has added some bars; I haven't been there since 2015.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
You left out Kafein. It's a coffee and dessert shop, with dim lighting and quirky decor. Their pastries were good; their sandwiches were too dry. Back when I was college-age, it was super-trendy in my neck of the woods; I used to go there all the time. But I barely hear of it anymore. It's still open, though.
Kafein opened when I was a sophomore at NU. There was a great place downtown on Sherman called Unicorn Cafe, but I think that's long closed.

Old 01-10-2018, 12:48 PM

4,621 posts, read 6,074,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
Kafein opened when I was a sophomore at NU. There was a great place downtown on Sherman called Unicorn Cafe, but I think that's long closed.
Unicorn was still operating when I left Chicago in 2016!

Old 01-10-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Unicorn was still operating when I left Chicago in 2016!
Good to know. Glad it's still around.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:48 PM

33 posts, read 68,740 times
Hey there -- I'll offer my opinion.

My main connections to Evanston are thru friends and family who attended NU (for undergrad and masters) - one friend who works there. I also grew up in the Chicago burbs, lived in Houston for a while, abroad, and now have lived in Chicago again for a few years.

I think Evanston is quite urban, and a quaint little town. Besides one poster ragging on it (Skylark) -- from someone who grew up in an ACTUAL Chicago suburb where you can watch the grass grow, Evanston doesn't seem that suburban to me. I consider it a bit quieter urban satellite detachment from Chicago.

Don't get me wrong ... if you have friends throughout Chicago --- younger crowd usually in Lakeview/ Wicker or surrounding, sometimes Uptown ... older crowd (late 20s/ early 30s) drifting more northbound towards Ravenswood. Well ... clearly Ravenswood would be a more convenient base of operations than Evanston.

The principal difference being Ravenswood is closer to most of the city and a deal more urban than Evanston, but both are very convienient, quaint self-sufficient areas with happening bars, restaurants, cool movie theatres, etc.

But yes - I've had friend live up there in Evanston recently (doing an MBA or something) --- it does seem a bit of a journey, albeit a manageable one. Takes 30-40 minutes from Lakeview on the el. Probably 40-50 to get River North/ downtown/ loop on the el. Shorter trips the more northbound you stop.

Depends on why you want to live there.

Also, I personally haven never LIVED in Evanston, only visited there ... but I've walked through a section of Evanston once by myself (I'm white) with Black Lives Matters signs on many lawns. Yeah, great, I know I shouldn't care ... but it made me self conscious. Like someone was going to jump out and say 'Kill Whitey'.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:09 PM

4,018 posts, read 2,859,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker20 View Post
Hey there -- I'll offer my opinion.

My main connections to Evanston are thru friends and family who attended NU (for undergrad and masters) - one friend who works there. I also grew up in the Chicago burbs, lived in Houston for a while, abroad, and now have lived in Chicago again for a few years.

I think Evanston is quite urban, and a quaint little town. Besides one poster ragging on it (Skylark) -- from someone who grew up in an ACTUAL Chicago suburb where you can watch the grass grow, Evanston doesn't seem that suburban to me. I consider it a bit quieter urban satellite detachment from Chicago.

Don't get me wrong ... if you have friends throughout Chicago --- younger crowd usually in Lakeview/ Wicker or surrounding, sometimes Uptown ... older crowd (late 20s/ early 30s) drifting more northbound towards Ravenswood. Well ... clearly Ravenswood would be a more convenient base of operations than Evanston.

The principal difference being Ravenswood is closer to most of the city and a deal more urban than Evanston, but both are very convienient, quaint self-sufficient areas with happening bars, restaurants, cool movie theatres, etc.

But yes - I've had friend live up there in Evanston recently (doing an MBA or something) --- it does seem a bit of a journey, albeit a manageable one. Takes 30-40 minutes from Lakeview on the el. Probably 40-50 to get River North/ downtown/ loop on the el. Shorter trips the more northbound you stop.

Depends on why you want to live there.

Also, I personally haven never LIVED in Evanston, only visited there ... but I've walked through a section of Evanston once by myself (I'm white) with Black Lives Matters signs on many lawns. Yeah, great, I know I shouldn't care ... but it made me self conscious. Like someone was going to jump out and say 'Kill Whitey'.
You eliminated any shred of credibility with your stupid last paragraph.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:38 PM

12,749 posts, read 16,291,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goillini8 View Post
Great restaurant city, but a laughably bad bar city - due to the historical prohibition on businesses that are primarily bars (as opposed to full restaurants with bars inside). It's come a long way since I was in school in the early 1990s, and you're drinking options are larger than ever. But, still, I wish there were more bar bars, low key, chill, not fancy. I guess Chicago is close enough. Or maybe Evanston has added some bars; I haven't been there since 2015.
Forgot about that. For many years, Evanston was dry. The WCTU being headquartered there may have been a factor. Dry no more: a history of prohibition in Evanston | North by Northwestern

Old 01-16-2018, 06:45 PM

4,621 posts, read 6,074,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Forgot about that. For many years, Evanston was dry. The WCTU being headquartered there may have been a factor. Dry no more: a history of prohibition in Evanston | North by Northwestern
They even have breweries and distilleries in Evanston now (and have for a while)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or