Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 12:00 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times

Advertisements

Journalism is tough, especially these days. If you come here, you could find a job and try to get into Northwestern's Medill masters program to prepare for bigger political journalism jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 12:24 AM

79 posts, read 95,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie97 View Post
I want more than anything to be a journalist. I have a degree in Writing from a very good school. I intend to work as an online editor for some type of news outlet. I know journalism is a tough business to get into, but i'm extremely passionate about politics. Im willing to try other things while I look for my dream job.

I know D.C. would probably be better for me, but from what I have read companies demand a lot of experience or Masters degrees and I would be frightened to move there and then find out I can't get a good job. Too risky. I have never been crazy about D.C. anyway.

I figure Chicago is a big enough place to start and get my feet in the ground somewhere.
I wouldn't worry about the politics. Sure, Illinois has massive problems with its budget; but, Chicago is somewhat inoculated from it. The city and suburbs aren't experiencing the same economic hardships that many Downstate communities are.

The one thing I would advise is that unless you have money saved up, be sure to have a job lined up before you commit to a move. Journalism is definitely an industry you can get into without a journalism degree, but the Chicago market is super competitive. Just last month, nearly 50 journalists were laid off when DNAinfo and Chicagoist shut down. So that's your competition. Best of luck.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:44 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSideSoxGuy View Post
I wouldn't worry about the politics. Sure, Illinois has massive problems with its budget; but, Chicago is somewhat inoculated from it. The city and suburbs aren't experiencing the same economic hardships that many Downstate communities are.
This is such a sad response. Chicago-area politicians largely bear the responsibility of creating the state budget fiasco, yet many communities remain somewhat insulated from its effects (at least for now, although not even that statement is fully true). Exemplifies exactly what is wrong with the divide in the state.

In my opinion, Chicago will never be fully prosperous if the state suffers, as Chicago does rely in many ways on state tax dollars as well as state infrastructure and certaily won’t be able to have the state bail out CPS. Both the city and the state would be better served if they looked after mutual interests.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:48 PM

79 posts, read 95,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
This is such a sad response. Chicago-area politicians largely bear the responsibility of creating the state budget fiasco, yet many communities remain somewhat insulated from its effects (at least for now, although not even that statement is fully true). Exemplifies exactly what is wrong with the divide in the state.

In my opinion, Chicago will never be fully prosperous if the state suffers, as Chicago does rely in many ways on state tax dollars as well as state infrastructure and certaily won’t be able to have the state bail out CPS. Both the city and the state would be better served if they looked after mutual interests.
My point was that if you're a young professional with a decent job in Chicago, the state's troubles are not going to have as much of an impact on you compared to other situations.

And I don't disagree that Chicago is better off if the state's better off and vice versa. But, it's a fact that Chicago has several built-in advantages that other parts of the state don't have: a cluster of world-class universities, one of the world's busiest airports, rail hub of the country, several fortune 500 companies, a thriving business district and services sector, a center for culture, etc.. So while the state's dire fiscal situation has an impact everywhere, it doesn't drag Chicago down as much as it does some other communities around the state.

Also, it's a broad generalization to blame "Chicago-area politicians" for the state's budget situation. The problem developed over a long period of time with many politicians from all areas of the state to blame.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:03 AM

426 posts, read 334,268 times
"Chicagoans face another property tax increase in 2020"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...HrXM7slzXZ4HCv

Old 12-17-2017, 09:09 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie97 View Post
I have always wanted to live in Chicago since I was very young. Now that I am graduating college I have the chance to move anywhere in the country I want. Chicago is naturally my first choice. Its everything that I want!

The only problem is that i'm extremely worried about Illinois politics. I know about the economic crises that the state is facing and I have read that it could potentially go bankrupt. Also, taxes. Even though I don't have a "real job" yet, Im worried about all the money in taxes I will have to pay. Are these problems enough to keep me from moving there?

Should I be worried about these things? Should I find somewhere else to move to? Chicago would be absolutely perfect for me but these problems have made me rethink my decision.
i hate the politics of whats going on and no not Trump, but the bs that is going on that is now being uncovered - the swamp - however, i dont let politics run my life, its a side issue as living here and earning a living is more prevalent in my daily thoughts.

Frankly, i dont even know if the tax bill is going to happen until it happens in writing. Till then i dont hold my breath nor put my life on hold. So i dont let politics rule me. i have to turn the channel when there is too much fighting and arguing and b.s. i watch a movie or Netflix. That is how I handle it.

What is beyond my ability to control, i dont worry, or i choose not to worry. Thats how you survive all this. No matter whether you are Democrat or Republican, Indpendent etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: