U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which seems to be a better fit?
PNW 3 16.67%
Chicago 15 83.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 12:44 PM

22 posts, read 40,502 times

Advertisements

Thanks, there is some great insight here.
I agree that nothing can replace the social/family aspect of living in Chicago. The PNW is so beautiful, but without a social support system outside of the 3 of us, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

We are going to visit my sister-in-law in March. She lives in Logan Square. We are going to try to get more of a feel, and look more closely at different neighborhoods.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 01:30 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,593,698 times
Some good neighborhoods to visit are Lincoln Square, Portage Park, Logan Square, etc. Also visit Oak Park. Taxes are high there. You might want to visit Berwyn. Lots of good two flats there and good transport to city.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:14 PM

22 posts, read 40,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Some good neighborhoods to visit are Lincoln Square, Portage Park, Logan Square, etc. Also visit Oak Park. Taxes are high there. You might want to visit Berwyn. Lots of good two flats there and good transport to city.
Yes, I noticed the property taxes in Oak Park are outrageous, that's why I think it might be a future property when I can start contributing to the family income again.

What is Berwyn like? Close to Oak Park, but I'm guessing not as great?

Logan Square is on our radar because that's where my sister-in-law lives.

Old 12-31-2017, 04:10 AM

568 posts, read 514,410 times
what's pnw?

Old 12-31-2017, 09:03 AM

12,607 posts, read 14,530,618 times
PNW = Pacific Northwest

Old 12-31-2017, 09:12 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,341,516 times
I live near Edgewater and during the last year I spent a lot of time walking around the area from Foster north to Bryn Mawr and Clark east to Broadway. It's SO beautiful there. There are tons of gorgeous single family homes. Some vintage condo buildings too. I don't have a good idea how many 2 or 3 flats there are there, but if I could afford one, I'd snatch it up in a minute. I get the feeling that it's very family oriented there, over the summer I often saw various blocks closed off for block parties, and the Lakewood -Balmoral section is known for their Halloween decorations and going all out for the trick or treaters. I can also walk over to Lincoln Square and you can't go wrong there either.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:46 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,593,698 times
Berwyn is certainly not "as nice" as Oak Park. It has a multicultural, urban vibe to it but its kind of a sleeper and some families are moving there because of the vintage buildings, bungalows and two flats. Also some movement from Oak Park to Berwyn too, mostly people who don't care about the school district. Historic Berwyn’s Bungalow Tour, Sunday September 24, 2017 — Noon to 5 pm
Some people are moving there because they have been priced out of the city. Berwyn is affordable. The two and three flats in Edgewater especially in the nice areas are going to be way over 500 k or more. Point is, its not affordable. Logan Square is not affordable anymore either.

Here is an example of a three flat plus the price.
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/55.../home/13402688
https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/56.../home/13409547

Old 12-31-2017, 06:28 PM

1,204 posts, read 837,255 times
Careful...Berwyn has a lot of section 8 housing (my friend is a cop there, so this is not BS). It's an improving city, but far behind the other areas mentioned.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:22 AM

842 posts, read 1,193,995 times
I work in Oak Park and live in South Loop. You're right, taxes are ridiculous in Oak Park and a fair amount of my clients have lost their paid off homes due to property taxes alone. Oak Park is too sleepy for me but the schools are good.

Old 01-01-2018, 08:58 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,490,108 times
Chicago weather: we don't get the extremes, just the changeability. Schools depend on the neighborhood, and property values depend on schools. If you are homeschooling you can get a good deal on a place where the schools are not so good. Public transport: easily in the top 5 in the country, best in the Midwest. Air travel probably the best, if that is a concern. Midway is Southwest Airlines biggest hub. State legislature is still the most screwed up in the country. We'll see if that changes with this years elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago