Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 09:49 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times

Advertisements

I'm in the suburbs and when people refer to Chicago, they overwhelmingly use the term "the city". Using "Chicago": not so much. And those with a skewed view of the city will use "downtown"....there are enough folks out there who, if going to Diversy and Clark would say "I'm going downtown."

Now here's what I'm curious about: are there fringe areas in the city, you know, places with a sububan feel that could be their own tow/village (I'm thinking of places like Edison Park, Norwood Park, Edgebrook, Sauganasg, Berveley, Mt Greenwood) who would use the term "going into the City" or even the much less likely "going into Chicago"?

And I hope I'm not muddying the waters when I add a different question: are there different degrees of "chicagoness" just like there are different degrees of "newyokness" where manhattan (particularly its lower 2/3) gets the most, Brooklyn gets a lot, Staten Island a little and Far Rockaway a miniscule part?

So does our general downtown area from North to Cermak, the lakefront to the UC and Med Ctr have the most? The powerful, eclectic, urbane areas neighborhoos north of downtown (Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wicker Park, Bucktown! etc) and Hyde Park have the next level of chicagoness, maybe followed by the far north side neighborhoods that are urban, but far off from the core to be related to it (I'm thinking Edgewater, Rogers Pk, WRP, Albany Park, etc) and the least amount of chicagoness to those Sububan like areas I previously mentioned (like Sauganash and Beverly) get the least?

I realize that I mostly used Norh Side areas...but only because I know them better.

I also realize I very may well have generated some truly whacky ideas here (hey, I am on to myself), but I really am interested in how people see these issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 10:14 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
This is true for large metro areas everywhere. Here in Boston, there are some "townie" suburbs that are full of people who have little knowledge of the city, with the exception of perhaps Fenway Park or TD Garden..

Of course, I'm not immune to this. I don't know much about neighborhoods like Roxbury, Dorchester and Mattapan, because they're 1) dangerous, and 2) there's not much to see and do in them..

I suspect that there are many people that have no intimate knowledge of many South Side neighborhoods. Perhaps the large geographical size of Chicago has something to do with this, but I don't think it's the main reason..

Old 01-01-2018, 11:51 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
This is true for large metro areas everywhere. Here in Boston, there are some "townie" suburbs that are full of people who have little knowledge of the city, with the exception of perhaps Fenway Park or TD Garden..

Of course, I'm not immune to this. I don't know much about neighborhoods like Roxbury, Dorchester and Mattapan, because they're 1) dangerous, and 2) there's not much to see and do in them..

I suspect that there are many people that have no intimate knowledge of many South Side neighborhoods. Perhaps the large geographical size of Chicago has something to do with this, but I don't think it's the main reason..
Roxbury and Dorchester are not dangerous. They’re not the nicest neighborhoods in the city, but they aren’t really dangerous. I can understand your lack of familiarity with him, because there really aren’t a lot of reason to visit those neighborhoods. Ive spent time in Roxbury because I’m black and I lived in two neighborhoods that border Roxbury (South End and JP), so my barber was there. Dorchester, I visited because it’s home to some of the best Vietnamese and West Indian food in the city.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:55 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
I've never heard what you describe. I think people would usually say "going downtown", "going into the Loop", or the specific neighborhood or community area they're visiting.

Regarding the part about neighborhoods that feel suburban, I actually think we're more the other way around on this compared to most cities. While, yes, we do have a few fairly quiet, affluent, and tree-lined neighborhoods like that, they're outweighed by the many suburbs that feel pretty much urban. I'd expect the phenomenon of people who live within the limits of a major city saying they're "going into the city" to be a lot more common for lower-density cities where the fringes feel very suburban or even rural, e.g. Columbus, Indianapolis, Oklahoma City.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:08 PM

796 posts, read 931,038 times
I only hear suburban folks talking about "going to the city". unlike in NYC where "going to the city" means going into manhattan.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:25 PM

636 posts, read 611,906 times
I'm on the far north side and have said "going into the city" in reference to downtown, I suppose in the same vein as people in the outer boroughs and Manhattan.

Old 01-01-2018, 03:43 PM

245 posts, read 304,299 times
I'm a native south sider now north sider of many years. Either side of town - its always "going downtown." "I work downtown." "Lets go downtown," etc.

My suburban relatives will say they are going to "the city."

Old 01-01-2018, 05:10 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
I'm a native south sider now north sider of many years. Either side of town - its always "going downtown." "I work downtown." "Lets go downtown," etc.

My suburban relatives will say they are going to "the city."
Yep, that was going to be my answer. "We're going downtown", "Let's go downtown"

Which covers a large geographical area roughly from Chinatown to Lincoln Park.

Old 01-01-2018, 05:14 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
I've heard people from the clearing neighborhood say the city.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:14 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
I only hear suburban folks talking about "going to the city". unlike in NYC where "going to the city" means going into manhattan.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago