Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 11:27 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times

Advertisements

There’s about a 90% chance that I’ll be moving back to Chicago this year, and I’m strongly considering Jefferson Park. I’m Black, my wife is Asian and we have two young children. Jefferson Park isn’t the most diverse neighborhood, and I’ve heard murmurs about racism. I’m not worried about my safety, or anything. I’m sure my wife and I will be just fine, but I don’t want to raise my kids in a potentially hostile environment. Right now, we live in a predominantly white neighborhood, but it’s about 30% Asian. We’re three blocks away from a black neighborhood. The entire area (of the city) is very liberal (actually liberal, not just Dem-voting), and the kids attend a diverse, progressive school. Am I going to have problems in Jefferson Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:50 AM

50 posts, read 47,352 times
I don't think so, because Chicago is mostly tolerable of other races so I'm figuring that it won't be an exception. You could try west ridge or parts of Bridgeport for a much more racially diverse community and about the same crime level as Jefferson park. Plus, Healy elementary in Bridgeport is one of the best in the Chicagoland area

Old 01-02-2018, 09:19 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,016 times
Bungalow belt is getting more and more Hispanic too.

Old 01-03-2018, 05:17 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
I don't know the exact numbers, but Jefferson Park seems to be kind of up and coming in a sense that more people seem interested in living there. One of my friends, a young couple, recently bought there. The only other person I know that lives there is a work colleague who is a middle age man, extremely liberal. Taking the blue line to OHare, the Jefferson park stop seems pretty diverse, with a good amount of Hispanics. You will probably find some more working class individuals in a place like Jefferson Park, but I wouldn't automatically associate that with racism. For example, I remember hearing on the news a couple years ago they held a "Police Lives Matter" rally there, but it was very peaceful and benign. Again you may run into more working class views, but I've never heard of any problems with racism in Jefferson Park.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:27 AM

5 posts, read 12,042 times
#4: "You will probably find some more working class individuals in a place like Jefferson Park, but I wouldn't automatically associate that with racism."

Agreed. The whole issue depends on the OP family's level of sensitivity. Some people can be easily offended while some people aren't very needy of respects.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:43 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Whats working class views?
What is wrong with the working class. How is that even brought up in the same sentense as racism?

OP, Jeff Park is great. I love it here.,my son goes to a school that is very diverse compared to when we lived in Andersonville and the school was 94% hispanic, located in Ravenswood. You and your family will be fine?

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 01-03-2018 at 07:51 PM..

Old 01-05-2018, 09:53 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Whats working class views?
What is wrong with the working class. How is that even brought up in the same sentense as racism?

OP, Jeff Park is great. I love it here.,my son goes to a school that is very diverse compared to when we lived in Andersonville and the school was 94% hispanic, located in Ravenswood. You and your family will be fine?
You obviously didn't read the responses closely....posters mentioned that working class views (as an example, close community relationship with police- i.e. a "police lives matter" rally that was held in Jefferson Park) SHOULD NOT BE ASSOCIATED WITH RACISM!!!!

Maybe working class isn't the best definition; maybe blue collar or something else, but I'm sure you understood the premise. The point was that should NOT be affiliated with racism.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:31 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,103,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You obviously didn't read the responses closely....posters mentioned that working class views (as an example, close community relationship with police- i.e. a "police lives matter" rally that was held in Jefferson Park) SHOULD NOT BE ASSOCIATED WITH RACISM!!!!

Maybe working class isn't the best definition; maybe blue collar or something else, but I'm sure you understood the premise. The point was that should NOT be affiliated with racism.
Mod cut.

TOTALLY NOT RACIST 'Police Lives Matter' stuff aside, my opinion is you are unlikely to experience any issues in actual, day to day, life here versus any other area. That said, the TOTALLY NOT RACIST 'blue collar' views do pop up from time to time. I've seen similar racial hysteria in my area just NW of Jefferson Park, where any new apartment buildings, even those with rents that would vastly exceed the mortgage payments of many of the blue hairs who comprise the majority of the community planning meetings, bring out racially coded fears of 'Cabrini Green', 'Section 8', etc.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-06-2018 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Off-topic comment.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:36 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Idk. It annoys me to no end when this subject comes up. I could say a lot more but this is not the place for it.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:07 AM

636 posts, read 610,947 times
Isn't there a known cop bar out there right by the blue line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: