Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:49 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times

Advertisements

Some of my neighbors have talked about K-town and how it is good place to hang out. Mind you these are black, ghetto people talking here, so I pretty much expect it to be a rough area where I would stand out like a sore thumb as I am essentially a yuppie white guy. I get that.

Some of my former renters wanted me to go there with them to a place where they hung out. I took a pass.

The Mexicans and Puerto Ricans have never spoken of this area.

Still, I am curious about the neighborhood and its history. Obviously the name K-town comes from Kostner, Keeler, Kilpatrick etc streets that run thru the neighborhood. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 03:22 PM

37 posts, read 386,857 times
i'm pretty sure that it's pretty hardcore hood down there. that's pretty much the home area of the vice lords, all the way back to when they began. also, the rapper twista is from k town. that's about all i know about it, because i'll probably take a pass on going through there, unless i feel adventurous.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:50 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,869,214 times
Default Business Week's 2008 Most Up and Coming

Maybe K-town (Lawndale) will make Business Week's Most Up and Coming list this year.

I sent a link on what has happened to East Garfield Park (foreclosure, short sale, pre-foreclosure). When a house that appraised in 2006 for +$400M is now on the market for less than $200M, there is a serious problem.

In Real Estate it is especially true, PIGS GET FAT, HOGS GET SLAUGHTERED.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:28 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,181,392 times
Default You don't need to go.

Remember when Bill Clinton got his shorts in a knot about news reports of 14 kids in an apartment with toddlers eating out of a dog bowl? That was K-town. Its a slum area of the west side.

With that said, I'm not going to get into cyber-slumming about how bad an area it is.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:41 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
North Lawndale, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never heard much good about North Lawndale (of which K-Town is a part). It's honestly one of the more troubled parts of the entire city...

Old 03-22-2008, 09:19 AM

204 posts, read 761,309 times
All I can say is.......have fun.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:20 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,031,232 times
that's where twista and some other famous chicago rappers are from. i think your post must be a joke...you can't be serious. i say that because it would be beyond foolish to "hang out" in K-town...lol. if you're not looking for trouble, odds are it will find you either way.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:47 PM

8 posts, read 50,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Some of my neighbors have talked about K-town and how it is good place to hang out. Mind you these are black, ghetto people talking here, so I pretty much expect it to be a rough area where I would stand out like a sore thumb as I am essentially a yuppie white guy. I get that.

Some of my former renters wanted me to go there with them to a place where they hung out. I took a pass.

The Mexicans and Puerto Ricans have never spoken of this area.

Still, I am curious about the neighborhood and its history. Obviously the name K-town comes from Kostner, Keeler, Kilpatrick etc streets that run thru the neighborhood. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
or King town, since it is prodominatly kings there, i dont understand why people are so scared to go around there, i live by there and its not that bad, if you know the rite peopl. its not all "black and ghetto talking people" people have to get over that. Puerto Ricans are basically another race that roams there, as for mexicans there are mexiacans, just not as much as puerto ricans, look at the nice part of it. the park is beautiful.,. u cant be too careful though, thats what people dont understand, cant go 2 the park at nite 2 walk ur dog wile listening to ur ipod, of coarse ur gonna get hit. im just talking reality.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 27,269 times
okay. i live in ktown so i would have more intelligence on this area. yes. there are alot of black people in this area with a handfull of latinos!. this town consists of mostly of the street letters beginning with the letter k however there are some that do not!. any more questions feel free to ask!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:25 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,238,787 times
I purposely got my suburban friends who have no knowledge of Chicago streets lost there.
It was fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago