U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-22-2008, 07:34 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,316,422 times
Default Area of uptown with most young professionals?

I was thinking of buying in uptown but visited a area and it seemed really run down event though the condo I was looking at was really nice in the inside. Are there any areas of uptown that are simillar to lakeview?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 08:59 AM

2,481 posts, read 8,420,611 times
Where we you looking in uptown? South of Montrose is usually your best bet.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:11 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,817,625 times
Yes, the part that is adjacent to Lake View which is called Buena Park. South of Montrose and North of Irving Park between the lake and Graceland Cemetary. South of Buena and west of Broadway is even more preferable.

Andersonville Terrace is pretty decent also,particularly the Northwest part of it.

Image:Neighborhood map uptown chicago.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-23-2008, 02:39 AM

8,872 posts, read 12,539,911 times
^ that's exactly where i just bought my first condo.

the alderman is the reason the area isn't like the areas to the north/south/west.

It's slowly changing though, and the architecture is wonderful. At least it's full of action and interesting, ha. That's how I view it. I think it's a good investment area....

Old 03-24-2008, 12:27 PM

10,084 posts, read 16,912,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yes, the part that is adjacent to Lake View which is called Buena Park. South of Montrose and North of Irving Park between the lake and Graceland Cemetary. South of Buena and west of Broadway is even more preferable.

Andersonville Terrace is pretty decent also,particularly the Northwest part of it.

Image:Neighborhood map uptown chicago.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have lived in Buena Park for the past three years, and agree that it is definitely the most gentrified part of Uptown. But I will differ with AvengerFire on one item... The best parts of Buena Park are along Lakeshore Drive, in the Hutchinson Mansion district, or near the Sheridan "L" stop. The eastern section of the neighborhood is perfectly fine all the way up to Junior Terrace, but Montrose starts to get a little hairy. The Hutchinson Mansion district is filled with dozens of multi-million dollar single-family homes that are abosolutely gorgeous, and there are a few apartments and condos sprinkled in there as well. And almost any housing within a few blocks of the Sheridan "L" stop has been scrubbed clean or condo-ified.

The only parts of Buena Park that might cause some problems to a young professional resident are anything right on Broadway (there are a lot of liquor stores and loitering homeless people), or near Montrose. A particularly bad corner to avoid is Cuyler and Broadway (one block north of Lakeview) since there are two or three problem buildings and the infamous U-Haul loiterers.

Personally, I was drawn to the area near the Sheridan "L" stop at first because of the convenience of the train and the slew of restaurants and shops that have popped up over there, but I am happy that I bought my place over to the east. The express busses that hop on LSD at Irving Park (136, 144, 148) are more convenient and faster than the "L". And I can still walk to the Red Line in ten minutes when I want to use it.

Other nice parts of Uptown are the areas directly adjacent to Andersonville and Ravenswood, and the northeast corner of Uptown (called Margate Park). All of central Uptown west of Broadway has improved greatly over the years and has beautiful housing stock, but there are smatterings of gangs and rehab centers sprinkled through that area that are just enough of a nuisance to make life a little tougher there. I've heard horror stories of people being followed home from the train, gang shootouts on Magnolia, prostitutes turning tricks in back parking lots, homeless people using your front yard as a toilet, etc. It's not the ghetto, but there is definitely a ghetto element still present.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 03-24-2008 at 12:37 PM..

Old 03-24-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
...homeless people using your front yard as a toilet, etc. It's not the ghetto, but there is definitely a ghetto element still present.
Yes,10-15 years ago it was very common to see mentally deranged (and or homeless-male AND female!) people using the bathroom in broad daylight on the sidewalk on a main street! I have seen it many times actually.It is not as bad now as it once was...

Old 03-24-2008, 05:20 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,379,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yes,10-15 years ago it was very common to see mentally deranged (and or homeless-male AND female!) people using the bathroom in broad daylight on the sidewalk on a main street! I have seen it many times actually.It is not as bad now as it once was...
i think it's mostly downgraded to afternoon public vomiting now.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
i think it's mostly downgraded to afternoon public vomiting now.
I can live with that.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:34 PM

10,084 posts, read 16,912,201 times
To anyone interested in Uptown, check out this blog:

Uptown Update

Old 04-09-2008, 04:36 PM

3,628 posts, read 6,379,677 times
^^
this one's a little bit more fun and makes me want to invest in a police scanner so i can listen to the craziness that goes on in my neighborhood.

Chicago Uptown Crime Blotter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago