Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 04:50 PM

3 posts, read 1,697 times

Advertisements

Throwing this out there to see if anyone may be able to help. I've been in and out of City Hall and all over the place researching this the last few months to no avail.

Long story short, we purchased a home May of last year in the city as a Single Family but were not aware of the classification at the time. It turns out the home is classified with the county for as far back as records go as a Multi Family and in order for us to even get an equity line, we need it classified as a single family.

I've got water ledger records as far back as the 50s that show it is a single family, but thats about it. All of the past permits I could pull (FOIA) listed it with a 0 code, which apparently means the multi family sticks. Of course no one downtown is helpful at all, so I'm seeking answers wherever I can get them. The last thing I was told is that I would have to file an appeal and possibly take it before a judge, but that just seems like overkill. I would pay for another inspection if I had to, which was mentioned, but it seems like there is alot of legwork to do beforehand and frankly I am at a loss

Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 07:00 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlyobvious View Post
Throwing this out there to see if anyone may be able to help. I've been in and out of City Hall and all over the place researching this the last few months to no avail.

Long story short, we purchased a home May of last year in the city as a Single Family but were not aware of the classification at the time. It turns out the home is classified with the county for as far back as records go as a Multi Family and in order for us to even get an equity line, we need it classified as a single family.

I've got water ledger records as far back as the 50s that show it is a single family, but thats about it. All of the past permits I could pull (FOIA) listed it with a 0 code, which apparently means the multi family sticks. Of course no one downtown is helpful at all, so I'm seeking answers wherever I can get them. The last thing I was told is that I would have to file an appeal and possibly take it before a judge, but that just seems like overkill. I would pay for another inspection if I had to, which was mentioned, but it seems like there is alot of legwork to do beforehand and frankly I am at a loss

Any help would be much appreciated!
What is written on the various closing documents? Start there.

How about property tax bills? What is written about the parcel?

Expect a lot of legwork since you are in Cook County, one hot mess

Old 02-08-2018, 06:06 AM

3 posts, read 1,697 times
Pretty much sold as a Single Family, in all the closing documents etc. Same as the tax bill. The problem is the county, they have the property pin as multi-family and thats what I have to change The bank basically looks at that and says they wont even attempt an equity line until we have that changed.

I think my next best bet is to start with the Alderman, lord only knows how thats going to go though.

Thanks for the reply though!

Old 02-08-2018, 07:08 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlyobvious View Post
Pretty much sold as a Single Family, in all the closing documents etc. Same as the tax bill. The problem is the county, they have the property pin as multi-family and thats what I have to change The bank basically looks at that and says they wont even attempt an equity line until we have that changed.

I think my next best bet is to start with the Alderman, lord only knows how thats going to go though.

Thanks for the reply though!
Perhaps, but why bother until the assessor’s office gives you information first? Aldermen really aren’t handling the tax bills, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago