Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:47 PM

50 posts, read 47,373 times

Advertisements

River north also has the most galleries in the US outside of manhattan, and some good jazz is in the south loop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 06:35 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,458,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
A day before starting this thread, the OP posted that she is moving from the Midwest to West Coast.

Hiring movers vs UHaul for a cross country move?

OP, if you really are planning on staying in Chicago, Lincoln Park or River North are the neighborhoods you would want to look at. River North is much more hustle and bustle, but also has a lot of tourists, and doesn’t feel like a traditional neighborhood. Lincoln Park is much more of a traditional neighborhood, but being more residential, it may have slightly less vibrancy. Stretches around Clark street and Diversey can get very vibrant. You can get a feel on a Saturday or Sunday.
Yup. She also said she lives in a 500 sf studio, has $3,000 worth of stuff, and is considering accepting an offer from certain movers to take all her stuff across the country for 1,300 bucks.

Maybe you guys should consider recommending Cermak Road in Little Village instead of the Gold Coast and River North.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:09 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Yup. She also said she lives in a 500 sf studio, has $3,000 worth of stuff, and is considering accepting an offer from certain movers to take all her stuff across the country for 1,300 bucks.

Maybe you guys should consider recommending Cermak Road in Little Village instead of the Gold Coast and River North.
True. There are several good neighborhoods, that could be a really good fit for the OP from a value and vibrancy standpoint, given her circumstances. Based on her comments about desiring a “white collar” area and comments about lots of “sketchy” people on the blue line, and never in her life being so on edge about her safety; probably the safest bet to suggest the most conservative areas, lol.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:11 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Yeah I was impressed that she has lived in "a dozen major cities prior to Chicago" at the age of 33 or so....but I guess she's just spending a few months in each one.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:18 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Yeah I was impressed that she has lived in "a dozen major cities prior to Chicago" at the age of 33 or so....but I guess she's just spending a few months in each one.
Not everyone is tied down by a job, many people live a location independent lifestlye and work remotely or work for themselves. The idea of living in a city for 3 months with a short term lease and then moving on really isn't that crazy

Old 02-22-2018, 09:19 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Not everyone is tied down by a job, many people live a location independent lifestlye and work remotely or work for themselves. The idea of living in a city for 3 months with a short term lease and then moving on really isn't that crazy
I guess crazy has varying definitions. However moving every 3 months is not the norm and likely viewed as crazy to the vast majority of people. It certainly sounds awful to me.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:42 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I guess crazy has varying definitions. However moving every 3 months is not the norm and likely viewed as crazy to the vast majority of people. It certainly sounds awful to me.
I did it for several years and I enjoyed it.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:52 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I did it for several years and I enjoyed it.
I didn't say everyone would find it crazy. Glad you enjoyed it.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:05 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,037 times
Lot's of good responses with recommendations on this thread. I'm staying here for a few extra months to see if summer will bring a more vibrant feel to the city. How is River North area in terms of livability/vibrancy? I like that it's convenient/walking distance to Symphony/Theaters/Museums. Should I add it to my list of areas to consider?

As for the wannabe detectives - get a life for pete's sake It's 21st century, people's jobs are portable and pay well enough to be able to afford to move and travel and live in nice neighborhoods, even at a young age.

Last edited by Flavia84; 02-22-2018 at 10:16 AM..

Old 02-22-2018, 10:26 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I *think* I am the same age as OP and have worked from home for the past 8 years so I don't find it crazy at all. I didnt say it was impossible and I was impressed cause I like the concept, however just two thoughts:

1) spending 3 months somewhere is very borderline "living there." It's certainly up for debate.
2) I had no negative judgment in my comment whatsoever. I was just making the point that my conception of what she was saying and what I now assumed she was doing were very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I love it. I am now "saddled" with a family but in a few years when the kids are old enough to understand their experiences we will probably be right back at it. Online school and travel the world! At least for a few years until they reach middle school years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
As for the wannabe detectives - get a life for pete's sake It's 21st century, people's jobs are portable and pay well enough to be able to afford to move and travel and live in nice neighborhoods, even at a young age.
Just want to be clear that I meant no negativity with my comment. But it is unusual that you ask for recommendations for a neighborhood in Chicago while simultaneously asking for recommendations on how to move your stuff to the west coast. I guess you don't plan to be in Chicago very long?

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago