U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:06 PM

3,533 posts, read 6,187,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
If the market was left to its own devices, these people could just go live in a slum somewhere or not live here at all.
Sure! The heck with them! That's the compassionate conservative solution.

Well, it turns out poor folks don't really move. They just go into substandard housing like cut up townhouses and 'roomettes'. Do you favor creating a slum or a low income ghetto? How would we keep the problems there, with a moat or something?

What happens when the slum burns or tuberculosis happens? That moat would have to be wide and deep. How would the poor folks get across to work at the hotel and retail jobs? We douldn't subsidize transportation in this view. I know! They'd be required to buy waders!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:16 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,679,501 times
Default great post lakeshoresoxgo

Agreed. Any 100 econ course will show supply demand graph regarding unemployment and minimum wage.

I still say limited the poor's numbers will lead to less poverty. Call it communism if you like but I am sick and tired of paying for people who are having kids and then expecting the taxpayer to pay for it. To be fair, I am also sick of paying corporate welfare and farm subsidies (my dad is a cattle farmer so he is not seeing as much benefit as some).

Old 03-25-2008, 05:56 PM

35,584 posts, read 52,899,182 times
Wow, we're pretty far afield from "What are your thoughts on mixed income communities..."

Old 03-25-2008, 06:08 PM

6,276 posts, read 8,299,575 times
Mixed income communities? I say "Ewww! Poor people!"

Then I shriek and jump onto my chair.

If you ask me (and you didn't, I know...) this tread should be moved to politics or closed outright. It's gotten way off track. Plus the sense of entitlement is starting to give me a sinus headache.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:13 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,678,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

If you ask me (and you didn't, I know...) this tread should be moved to politics or closed outright. It's gotten way off track. Plus the sense of entitlement is starting to give me a sinus headache.
If you don't like the topic or the direction it's going, quit reading and go to another topic. Pretty simple. I enjoy reading the different opinions.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:09 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,851,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Because these development economics always work right? Do you know why in order to get a large project going, a certian amount of units have to be set aside for below market value? Because the city is tearing down all these stupid government funded things that caused all problems in the first place and these people need to relocate some place. If the market was left to its own devices, these people could just go live in a slum somewhere or not live here at all.
Actually, that's what's happening. The whole concept of "mixed income" in these new developments is just window dressing. It impacts a very small percentage of the displaced poor and those who get in are hand picked (credit checks, criminal background checks, etc.) and very quickly dealt with if they act out. The vast majority of those displaced are, in fact, relocating into slums -- or they're turning the areas where they are relocating into slums. Better get that moat ready, heh. Stay tuned...

Old 03-26-2008, 09:16 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,679,501 times
I still say fewer poor thru population control is the solution though I doubt this will happen as we are too compassionate.

And people still prefer the poor out of sight and out of mind. Few want a family displaced from the projects to move in next to them. Look at what it is doing to less affluent suburbs such as hanover park, streamwood, addison, northlake, and melrose park, bellwood, beverly, carpentersville.

Fewer poor people leads to fewer problems, though few will admit this even to themselves. Poverty and lack of education is the real enemy and until we contain this problem it will continue to afflict society as a whole.

So not popular yes, but I see population control as the only way to reduce the problem of poverty.

And I believe planned parenthood is the liberal way to reduce the poor population as most of the abortions and done for less affluent people who are often not ready or not able to take care of a baby.

Your responses should be interesting.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:29 AM

12,062 posts, read 17,724,413 times
And sorry guys we're done...

(ooh my first closed thread- I feel so proud!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago