Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 09:34 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Agree. No matter what your opinion is, it's over.
Exactly.

Quote:
We didn't get it
And that's a good thing. Let's not beat around the bush or bury the lede here.

Quote:
Personally, I'm glad we didn't get this ugly thing,
Most of us are.

Quote:
but I have no problem with people who wanted it. That's their opinion.
True-- and that's generous and kind of you to say-- but again, the "good guys" won here. This is really a no brainer. L.A. barely even wants the damned thing, and it actually FITS their city.

Move on, people. Preferably to something more tasteful and culturally enriching, but move on to SOMEthing, [bleep].

Last edited by PJSaturn; 04-02-2018 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: Language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 01:09 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
It would have been an easy free way to reduce Chicago's "gritty" image and make it more than just some big city for business and bad weather.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:35 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
It would have been an easy free way to reduce Chicago's "gritty" image and make it more than just some big city for business and bad weather.
I don’t know that, that is the case. Chicago’s downtown has always been its crown jewel. So I don’t know how much the Lucas museum would have added to be able to change the city’s image. In fact a good number of people I know who live out of state give Chicago all kinds flack for crime/corruption, and yet they all love downtown Chicago.

Improvements to the downtown area aren’t going to change the city’s gritty image. Most people who harbor negative stereotypes about Chicago even enjoy downtown. Changing Chicago’s image will require more than that, but that’s a topic for another thread.

Old 04-06-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I don’t know that, that is the case. Chicago’s downtown has always been its crown jewel. So I don’t know how much the Lucas museum would have added to be able to change the city’s image. In fact a good number of people I know who live out of state give Chicago all kinds flack for crime/corruption, and yet they all love downtown Chicago.

Improvements to the downtown area aren’t going to change the city’s gritty image. Most people who harbor negative stereotypes about Chicago even enjoy downtown. Changing Chicago’s image will require more than that, but that’s a topic for another thread.
My word was "reduce". No single thing is going to majorly change a city the size of Chicago's image. Not getting it just made the image of Chicago corruption in bureaucracy look worse though. To me it did!

Old 04-08-2018, 07:21 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Let's face it-- If you're the kind of milquetoast sack of sadness who thinks Chicago is too "gritty," you weren't going to come here anyway. You were going to keep living in Amarillo and taking a vacation to Branson once every five years. A George Lucas museum wasn't going to change that for you.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Let's face it-- If you're the kind of milquetoast sack of sadness who thinks Chicago is too "gritty," you weren't going to come here anyway. You were going to keep living in Amarillo and taking a vacation to Branson once every five years. A George Lucas museum wasn't going to change that for you.
True, but that is only true for that "sack of sadness" or on the extreme scales, so a small percentage. Not everyone is so extreme. It will hurt because of the image and all the thousands of people who are on the fence or have more moderate views.

Another example. A lot of people who don't even live in Chicago have negative views of it being gritty, and they will share those opinions with friends or acquaintances thinking of moving there. Friends influence friends.

The world isn't as black and white as you make it seem.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:10 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Chicago’s grittiness is one of the reasons I think I’m cool because I grew up in Chicago. A homogenized Chicago might just as well be Amarillo. Actually it might be worse than Amarillo because IME Texans enjoy their idiosyncrasies and make no apologies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago