Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 03:10 PM

5 posts, read 25,671 times

Advertisements

Hello, I searched but could not find a related question/ list of answers. I am an elementary art teacher from OH who will be moving to Chicago to attend a graduate art therapy program (for those that don't know: American Art Therapy Association - Art Therapy FAQ (broken link).)
Upon completion of the program, 2 years supervised clinical experience, taking multiple exams, etc. etc, I will be have the following acronyms associated with my name LPC, LCPC, and ATR-BC. This is something I feel very passionate about pursing and really want to provide art/ counseling experiences to children and the elderly.
Those that live in Chicago and know the reputation of the schools or are involved in the mental health field, could you tell me (in your opinion) whether the School of the Art Institute of Chicago or Adler School of Psychology has the strongest graduate art therapy program and, after which program, I would be MORE likely to have a job afterwards? Thank you for any assistance, opinions, alumni anecdotes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 06:42 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJJG View Post
Hello, I searched but could not find a related question/ list of answers. I am an elementary art teacher from OH who will be moving to Chicago to attend a graduate art therapy program (for those that don't know: American Art Therapy Association - Art Therapy FAQ (broken link).)
Upon completion of the program, 2 years supervised clinical experience, taking multiple exams, etc. etc, I will be have the following acronyms associated with my name LPC, LCPC, and ATR-BC. This is something I feel very passionate about pursing and really want to provide art/ counseling experiences to children and the elderly.
Those that live in Chicago and know the reputation of the schools or are involved in the mental health field, could you tell me (in your opinion) whether the School of the Art Institute of Chicago or Adler School of Psychology has the strongest graduate art therapy program and, after which program, I would be MORE likely to have a job afterwards? Thank you for any assistance, opinions, alumni anecdotes, etc.
The Art Institute. I'm just finishing my Phd in child clinical from Loyola, so I'm in the field. Honestly though, you need to check to see what percent are employed from each university (and where) and what there placements are during graduate school (for the supervised experience). If you have questions or tell me about the placements, I can provide you with more info!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:47 AM

5 posts, read 25,671 times
I too felt SAIC has the best reputation but I did not know if I was letting my artist dreams cloud my head when the $ might not equate with how highly I was thinking of the program. I am calling today to find out what percentage current alums are in the field right away and where as I could not find that on their site. Graduate Thesis Abstracts | Master of Arts in Art Therapy provided me with examples of where students were placed. The bio of each student gave the placement information. During my interview, I also heard current students discuss their sites. Were you suggesting I look to make sure students were at a range of locations AND at placements I too would want to be at? Were you thinking of other criteria?
Thank you so much for your help!!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:25 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJJG View Post
I too felt SAIC has the best reputation but I did not know if I was letting my artist dreams cloud my head when the $ might not equate with how highly I was thinking of the program. I am calling today to find out what percentage current alums are in the field right away and where as I could not find that on their site. Graduate Thesis Abstracts | Master of Arts in Art Therapy provided me with examples of where students were placed. The bio of each student gave the placement information. During my interview, I also heard current students discuss their sites. Were you suggesting I look to make sure students were at a range of locations AND at placements I too would want to be at? Were you thinking of other criteria?
Thank you so much for your help!!
It looks like they have pretty good placements. I was just seeing where they placements were to make sure they were reputable sites that you would get good training at. You'll also want to find out if they help you find a placement or if you have to do this yourself. I would also contact students who have recently graduated (as the program for emails) to see what they think.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 14,448 times
I am a graduate from SAIC's art therapy program. The program is VERY reputable in the field of art therapy. Many of the professors are nationally know in the field and have published books and articles.

SAIC's program places an emphasis on your development as an artist and counseling skills. If you consider yourself an artist you will like this. from what I know Adler is a very clinical program I do not know how much emphasis is placed on art therapy skills - I believe Adler students gain therapy skills and on the side art therapy skills WHILE SAIC students gain art therapy skills and on the side counseling skills.

I think SAIC prepares you to think creatively about where art therapy can be applied and with what populations - it is for that reason that I believe you have a better range/chance to get a job after graduation.
Having said that my one problem with SAIC's program is there lack of formal support for post graduate students. there is not program set up to find jobs or contact alumni.

this can be a hard field to get started in and who you know helps. With SAIC's outstanding professors you will get a jump start in the job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago