Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 12:14 PM

138 posts, read 168,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
They most certainly do. I think that statement applies to you more than anyone on this thread.

Not only do I think you're wrong, but I'm not sure it's even close.
https://wallethub.com/edu/most-and-l...#main-findings
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/23/the-...s-in-2018.html
https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nyti...tro-areas.html
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...tates?slide=11

The SINGLE instance where I found a study/ranking indicating Chicago had the most educated populace? Study International wrote a piece about it, and referenced Crain's Chicago Business data.
https://www.studyinternational.com/n...ation-shrinks/

Stop hanging around with homers. Figure out what's ailing Chicago. Stop flaunting false claims in hopes that it will patch wounds. Even if it were true, the reasons behind the sole article I can find tells a sad a** story. Soon there will be very little middle class, in an MSA that was filled with thriving middle class communities. And with Chicago's current average/sub-average private sector growth, and public sector debacle, a lot of average suburbs will deteriorate. The ecosystem won't collapse, but we will soon see a different Chicagoland.
Your first link leads to a list generated by their own criteria and the majority are small cities. I'm referring to large cities. The second is about states not cities. I stopped after that. Again, it's simple. If you take the city and divide it into the loop and north side and south side, the north and loop would be seen very differently. In those neighborhoods, up to 80 percent of people have college degrees. The Southside brings everything down. Obviously. Believe what you may, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder. The middle class is disappearing everywhere in this country. Not unique to Chicago. The future is the rich and the poor who work for them. Just how it is. Welcome to 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Well, that saves me the trouble of responding to the little, delusional homer.
Think your name says it all. I'd probably be down on Chicago if I lived on the south side.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:18 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Well, that saves me the trouble of responding to the little, delusional homer.
Yeah, the sarcasm, elitism, and his willingness to try and patronize was enough to elicit a response.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:20 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,941,858 times
Quote:
Wow, really? I didn't know that. It's not the most educated city in the country though.
I figure if you're in the top 5, who cares? And most educated could mean percentage wise or pure numbers. Chicago will be top 3 by numbers just because of its size and corporate presence. A simple measure is look at a cities downtown and corporate presence. Its mostly college educated people occupying those buildings, and only the higher paying jobs and industries will occupy them due to the cost of office space and to operate in Chicago. All these companies have a national and international reach. NYC has the largest population and number of high rises and cost of living, so no doubt they have the most college educated talent.

I think the north side of Chicago and NYC by far have the highest percentage of highly educated and high income people. The south and west sides bring down Chicago's percentages.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:24 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whywontthisjustwork View Post
Your first link leads to a list generated by their own criteria and the majority are small cities. I'm referring to large cities. The second is about states not cities. I stopped after that. Again, it's simple. If you take the city and divide it into the loop and north side and south side, the north and loop would be seen very differently. In those neighborhoods, up to 80 percent of people have college degrees. The Southside brings everything down. Obviously. Believe what you may, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder. The middle class is disappearing everywhere in this country. Not unique to Chicago. The future is the rich and the poor who work for them. Just how it is. Welcome to 2018.
Here, let me help you.

The first link lists all cities. You'll find a good a bunch, large and small, fall before Chicago.

The second link references state wide statistics. More than 75% of the population of Illinois lives in Chicagoland. Think that applies, don't you?

The third link agrees with the first link, using separate data.

Etc.

"You can run, but you can't hide." A stupid a** saying that applies to this conversation. Do you understand that Chicagoland RE is yet to climb back to pre-recession values? Even in the most affluent of communities? And, do you understand why? All of the wealth, and money, and education doesn't seem to be moving the sticks. Other cities are 25%+ above pre-recession values, including Northern neighbors.

But, hey, one article that uses Crain's Chicago Business data says we're the smartest. Things are great!

Old 03-30-2018, 12:26 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Cool pic of a building in Detroit built like two decades ago lol. What are you on about? It's pretty simple. Chicago is now the most educated city in the country. Educated, high income people are moving in, the poor are moving out. Oh the horror. Columbus, St. Louis and Pittsburgh doing better than Chicago? Uh huh. Lay off whatever you're smoking. Are there problems? Yes. Is it anywhere close to what the media like to paint it as? No. Oh and by the way, Brooklyn lost people in this census. What a crime ridden **** hole it must be!
Actually, Renaissance Center is more like four decades ago. In any case, even Detroit is turning a corner, however slowly.

Columbus shouldn't even be discussed in this context. Its development over the 30-40 years has more in common with newer Sun Belt metros like Charlotte than it does with the old industrial Midwest cities.

Pittsburgh basically set the standard for post-industrial rebirth that the rest of the region would follow. It's settling into its new size and scope. Even with the slowdown in the oil industry that was bringing new people there, the population is stabilizing without the double-digit losses decade over decade. If something drastic doesn't change before the 2020 Census it will probably have lost 1-2% or less.

I haven't been to STL since I was a kid, shortly after the worst of the '93 river flood, but it's probably better than it was then.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Here, let me help you.

The first link lists all cities. You'll find a good a bunch, large and small, fall before Chicago.

The second link references state wide statistics. More than 75% of the population of Illinois lives in Chicagoland. Think that applies, don't you?

The third link agrees with the first link, using separate data.

Etc.

"You can run, but you can't hide." A stupid a** saying that applies to this conversation. Do you understand that Chicagoland RE is yet to climb back to pre-recession values? Even in the most affluent of communities? And, do you understand why? All of the wealth, and money, and education doesn't seem to be moving the sticks. Other cities are 25%+ above pre-recession values, including Northern neighbors.

But, hey, one article that uses Crain's Chicago Business data says we're the smartest. Things are great!
Do you understand why the Chicagoland economy is so slow to ramp back up? The same reason there was never a hard fall like other places in the country. It's called an extremely diverse economy. This can be seen as a positive. You won't have the explosive growth but you won't have the deep depressions. There's so many little things that go into this, it's not black and white. Parts of Chicago are doing very well. Other parts aren't, and these people are leaving. End of.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:43 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default It is NOT about "the economy" it is the massive burden on property taxes!!!

Quote:
Do you understand why the Chicagoland economy is so slow to ramp back up? The same reason there was never a hard fall like other places in the country. It's called an extremely diverse economy. This can be seen as a positive. You won't have the explosive growth but you won't have the deep depressions. There's so many little things that go into this, it's not black and white. Parts of Chicago are doing very well. Other parts aren't, and these people are leaving. End of.
You are either deliberately missing the point or you need to re-read the links -- THE PROPERTY VALUES of the Chicagoland area have NOT REBOUNDED to the levels that they were at prior to the 2008 recession. That means folks are still not seeing the equity they had a DECADE ago. That is in SHARP CONTRAST to the many other regions that are now FAR ABOVE the values previously seen at the last high water mark!

Case Shiller: Chicago Area Home Prices Still Lag Rest Of Nation

Old 03-30-2018, 12:49 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
Quote:
Think your name says it all. I'd probably be down on Chicago if I lived on the south side.
Well, I'm not a millionaire like you. I have to get by on 150% of the median household income for the Chicago MSA. Sadly, I was only able to add about $50k to my bank account last year. BTW, are you going to the next Bilderburg meeting? I'm sure you're invited.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:03 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
For a Northern city? Absolutely it does. That applies to the suburbs, too. Look at Old Town. What was once a very, very SFH oriented area is slowly falling victim to the zoning flaws. Obriens is now becoming a large hotel. Multiple mid-rise apartments being put up in place of commercial activity.. It never ends, but fortunately, it causes rents to stay in check in even the most desirable areas (relatively speaking, of course). I mean, I haven't seen Wrigleyville in a year or two, but aren't they going through a massive building boom? What happened to the neighborhood ballpark?

You would never see that in some other Northern cities.

Extending that out to the suburbs- Having grown up here, and since bouncing around, I have yet to see a metro with such a pervasive mix of seemingly shared residential and commercial areas (outside of LA). In Arlington Heights, it's not uncommon to go from construction sites, to apartments, to gas stations, to a nice middle class neighborhood in a matter of a few blocks. Look at Niles. Look at Melrose Park. Even in the most densely populated suburbs of, say, New Jersey, I don't recall seeing that. I'm not even saying it's bad, but zoning doesn't seem to have been a huge consideration when Chicagoland suburbs grew to prominence.

https://www.google.com/search?q=melr...6ycOIXtWdIuqM:
I was not talking about suburbs, as this is a city forum. I think the recent TOD zoning has really helped alleviate some of the horrible zoning which essentially downzoned the vast majority of Chicago to single family.

Its great to see more density allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago