Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 06:14 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamirD View Post
You'd be surprised.
No I wouldn't. I've been in the business and that's not how it works. It's an absolute cut-throat industry; the sales staff either produces or gets canned without mercy. That goes for the service team too. Industry turnover is dizzying.

Quote:
One of the longest lasting Porsche dealerships in one of the toughest sales markets does just that. I didn't by my Porsche from them, but they still keep in touch
Well no kidding they still keep in touch with you. They don't do it because they're incredibly fond of you, they do it because you're still a sales lead. They want you to buy from THEIR dealership when it's time to trade in for a newer model, and/or they want you refer other sales leads to them rather than the dealership you bought from. If it really didn't matter where you buy from, they'd be content to let the dealership you bought from maintain their marketing contact with you.

Quote:
and I do give them the chance to earn my business even when I think there's no way they're going to match the price.
And that right there is why they still keep in touch with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 07:54 AM

310 posts, read 387,478 times
FWIW, I'm flying into ORD on Friday to purchase a Ferrari 360 (picture below). I'm buying it from an individual who has it serviced at Continental AutoSports, the authorized Ferrari dealer in Hinsdale. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait for it to be picked up and shipped back via an enclosed transport.

I was browsing this forum trying to get a feel for Chicago since I've never visited the Windy City. Looking forward to trying Lou Malnati's pizza, some Midwestern beef at Gibson's, and a visit to Navy Pier. Anything else I should consider while I'm in town for the weekend?
Attached Thumbnails
McLaren test drive-img_1851.jpg  

Old 05-19-2018, 07:52 AM

796 posts, read 930,606 times
why not just go on turo and rent one so you don't have to deal with a pushy salesman?

Old 05-21-2018, 11:14 AM

310 posts, read 387,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
why not just go on turo and rent one so you don't have to deal with a pushy salesman?
Good idea, but it's probably because the OP doesn't want to spend $500 to rent one, when they could test-drive for free! https://turo.com/rentals/cars/ca/her...mp4-12c/244807

Old 05-26-2018, 10:30 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Heck I don't even own a car.
If you don't own a car, do you have a driver's license? If yes, why? Was it to test drive a McLaren?

You will need a driver's license to test drive (if they let you).

Old 05-27-2018, 12:46 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
If you don't own a car, do you have a driver's license? If yes, why? Was it to test drive a McLaren?

Lots of people who don't own cars have drivers' licenses. I'm one of them, as are many my friends. Reasons to do so include the ability to rent a car, or to drive a friend's or family member's car legally, to have as a recognized form of ID in the US (instead of carrying your passport around everywhere), and to keep a current license active in case you might want to own a car in the future (which, yes, might involve a test drive) because it's a much simpler process to keep renewing your license than it is to obtain one from scratch.

Mod cut. [OP is] just someone trying to fulfill a fantasy that is probably not as simple as she thought and may or may not be possible at all.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-25-2018 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Orphaned (reference to post which has been deleted).

Old 08-09-2018, 02:13 PM

4,218 posts, read 4,741,886 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I forgot to post an update in this thread!

No one will like it because of how vague it's going to be. I couldn't figure out how to word what I wanted to say when I returned to Atlanta from Chi about what happened, and so after a while I ended up forgetting about the thread.

At the request of the dealership, I actually told them I wouldn't speak about what happened there here on this particular forum. All I will say is that I'm glad I stopped by and the person I dealt with was very friendly.

On to the next item on the "40 before 40" bucket list...

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-25-2018 at 10:30 AM..

Old 08-09-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

I have a license by the way.

Why do I have a license? Is that some kind of trick question lol? I've had a license since I was like 16. I've only ditched car ownership for the past approximately 6 years, but I will likely get another car in 2019.

I still drive occasionally. I have to make trips home. And when living in Chicago I often used Zipcar at one point for grocery shopping, running errands, etc.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I was also curious to see what came of this. I guess my issue with this post is if this guy isn't in a position to buy this car and has no interest as a serious buyer he really shouldn't be wasting the sales guys time, that's what rentals and track days are for. Car salesman are hard working guys, they work almost entirely on commission, this guy playing fake car buyer for a day could be potentially taking this salesman away from a serious buyer who actually wants to buy a car.
This is true. However, I will say that when I initially reached out and made an appointment I actually made it very clear I had no intention whatsoever of purchasing anything.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Maybe they are meaner in Chicago, but I've been to several dealers of exotics where they'd let you drive a used one no issue here in the Dallas area. Well, they'd let me, and I'm a chick who wanders around in t shirts.

And I mean 2-3 years used.

Ferraris, Aston Martin, McLaren, etc.

Also many high end new Porsches and Jags.

Actually gonna go look at that new AMG GT while my car is serviced today at Mercedes.

But if you really wanna have a good time driving an exotic car, just pay the $1000 and have 1 for an entire 24 hours.

Btw, good luck getting out of that car if you're not tall.
From what I've seen, a tall person can have quite the issue not just getting out of a McLaren, but in getting situated/comfortable enough to drive it comfortably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive