Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 06:44 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times

Advertisements

I remember 1/2 price Pepsi nights for Sox games.

I've moved away from the area for nearly 10 years now but when I lived in places that got WGN America on cable, I still loved watching Sox and Cubs games on TV. Hawk Harrelson will always be one of my favorite announcers. The location for Sox games is at such a huge disadvantage compared to the Cubs. I mean, you can go a couple miles north to Chinatown pre/post-game, I guess. But within walking distance, there's nothing to compare on the south side when the Cubs are in Wrigleyville.

The Blackhawks didn't start winning until Bill Wirtz died. Coincidence? I think not.

Another factor you have to consider is that there are 81 home games in baseball, 41 for basketball, 42 for hockey and 8 for football. There are a lot more games to be able to attend for baseball. With day games before the end of the school year, low attendance probably isn't uncommon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 09:12 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
https://www.jsonline.com/story/life/...ome/576362002/

The Chicago White Sox almost became the Milwaukee White Sox. Even back then they had attendance issues, we out drew them like we did when Cleveland played a series in Milwaukee a few years back vs the Angels.

"In 1967, Chicago's American League team was in the tightest pennant race in more than a half-century. But off the field, the White Sox were hurting, drawing fewer than 1 million fans at Comiskey Park for the second straight year."

"After the 1967 season, White Sox owner Arthur Allyn announced that the team would play 10 games in 1968 — one game against each A.L. team, and a preseason exhibition game against the crosstown Cubs — at County Stadium. The games were "sponsored" by the Brewers, the Milwaukee Sentinel reported on Oct. 31, 1967."

"in 1968, the Sox had among the worst attendance in baseball, drawing little more than 7,000 fans per game at home. "

"the White Sox were a big winner in Milwaukee. The team drew 265,552 fans in their nine games at County Stadium, vs. 538,323 for 59 dates at Comiskey. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago