U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:41 AM

696 posts, read 1,692,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Well, opening day last year for the Sox was perfect. 70 degrees and sunny. We had the center field pavilion which included food and beer. And it turned out, that was necessary, as the Sox previewed the season by getting trounced by the Tribe. If I had to pay 7 bucks for every beer I drank that day, it would've been ugly.

Anyways, I've got the Ozzie plan this year so I'll be there opening day, despite being disgusted with how this organization is being run currently.
It's going to be tough for the Sox this year the way that the Tigers are stacked and Indians look pretty much as fierce as last season. It wasn't a horrible offseason for Kenny Williams, but there is absolutely no margin for error on this ballclub: every "project" that they have, whether it's the youth at the bottom of their rotation, the new players such as Nick Swisher, or guys returning from injuries such as Joe Crede, has to exceed to expectations in order for the Sox to have a chance. That's definitely a tall order.

At least some things never change in the baseball universe, though:

sandiego.com - Padres place RHPs Prior, Hensley on DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 10:51 AM

4,319 posts, read 6,018,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
It's going to be tough for the Sox this year the way that the Tigers are stacked and Indians look pretty much as fierce as last season. It wasn't a horrible offseason for Kenny Williams, but there is absolutely no margin for error on this ballclub: every "project" that they have, whether it's the youth at the bottom of their rotation, the new players such as Nick Swisher, or guys returning from injuries such as Joe Crede, has to exceed to expectations in order for the Sox to have a chance. That's definitely a tall order.

At least some things never change in the baseball universe, though:

sandiego.com - Padres place RHPs Prior, Hensley on DL
Well, that's my problem with the offseason. You have to pick your windows in which to make your run. With an aging team, and the Tigers and Indians both at their peaks, now was not the time to give a terrible 4 year no trade contract to a middle reliever with declining numbers, to trade Garland for another aging shortstop, to trade our two best pitching prospects for Swisher (although becuase of Swish's contract I've warmed up to it). Etc etc.

The Sox have marginally improved, but not nearly enough to have a prayer of competing for a playoff spot. Williams should have recognized the core lineup's window had passed by last May and started dealing to make a new run a few years later. Instead he's positioned the team to be mediocre to terrible for at least the next three years.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:17 AM

859 posts, read 1,894,722 times
Can you believe it? Looking back to March, who would have thought that we would have one team already in the playoffs and the other on the verge of making them? I am not fond of the Cubs at all, but this is a cool feeling. It would be even better if my team wins tonight.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:25 PM

1,801 posts, read 4,229,369 times
The Sox were selling standing-room-only tickets for tonights game..those have sold out as well. The atmosphere is going to be the closest thing we have had since 2005 in quite some time.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:39 PM

3,022 posts, read 3,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
It's going to be tough for the Sox this year the way that the Tigers are stacked and Indians look pretty much as fierce as last season.....
The season didn't quite turn out as expected!

Detroit looked awful yesterday, I would much rather have seen the Sox face some serious competition than the train wreck that was Detroit last night.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:43 PM

19,490 posts, read 50,825,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
The Sox were selling standing-room-only tickets for tonights game..those have sold out as well. The atmosphere is going to be the closest thing we have had since 2005 in quite some time.
Gotta love all the "fans".

Old 09-30-2008, 01:47 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,721,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
I wish I could go, it would be a lot of fun.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:04 PM

1,801 posts, read 4,229,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Gotta love all the "fans".
You mean as opposed to all the tour groups they bus in from from Iowa I see lined up for every Cub game?

Old 09-30-2008, 02:11 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,721,892 times
Yeah, I'm not sure what is behind Steve-O's vitriol. I have a lot of friends who are fans of the Cubs, have been to Cubs games and enjoyed myself, and even cheered for them to do well the last time they made it to post-season even though my loyalties lie a bit further south (and depending on the outcome of today's game, may do so again, besides we got there first ), and while we kid each other good naturedly, and I take a slightly perverse pleasure in posting the occasional picture of a goat as a message board reply when the Cubs and their failed attempts to win a WS are brought up, I ultimately have no problems with the Cubs when it comes right down to it. But Steve-O comes off actually angry about the whole rivalry sometimes.

Last edited by j33; 09-30-2008 at 02:27 PM..

Old 09-30-2008, 09:01 PM

859 posts, read 1,894,722 times
OH MY GOD!!! I need a drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago