Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 05:36 AM

4,640 posts, read 3,252,251 times

Advertisements

@vb808, yes the strip there and a block perhaps in each direction is a world of it's own! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Ignotz is my favorite restaurant there. I wish you great success in your search! Take care- Master Jay from Milwaukee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 08:50 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,181,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The HOA fees for high rise condos are always substantial.

Yes, they should be less for more of a walkup or building with significantly fewer units outside The Loop/River North.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:52 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Yes, they should be less for more of a walkup or building with significantly fewer units outside The Loop/River North.
Yeah, they are less. I linked to a 2 BD/2 BA condo in Heart of Chicago above with $168 HOAs. I've owned two condos in Chicago. One a 2BD/2Ba and the other a 4BD/3BA. Never paid more than $250 HOA. My parents pay almost $900 in the Legacy, but it includes cable, internet and heat and of course doorman and elevators, pool etc.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:18 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yeah, they are less. I linked to a 2 BD/2 BA condo in Heart of Chicago above with $168 HOAs. I've owned two condos in Chicago. One a 2BD/2Ba and the other a 4BD/3BA. Never paid more than $250 HOA. My parents pay almost $900 in the Legacy, but it includes cable, internet and heat and of course doorman and elevators, pool etc.
Here's an example of what I'm talking about: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...t/14_zm/0_mmm/

This building was built in 2003, so there shouldn't be many maintenance issues to deal with at this point. The HOA fee is $585 and includes: Exterior Maintenance, Lawn Care, Water, Parking, and Exercise Facilities.

Would all of these things cost $585/mo in a single family home? No idea, but $585 seems a lot to pay when you consider the mortgage will probably be in the 1000-1700 range.

My friend owns a condo in the Dallas area and his HOA is $350 and includes exterior maintenance, two pools, lawn care, water, assigned parking, exercise room, outdoor grills, tennis courts.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:41 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,285 times
You really can't just look at an HOA fee and say it's too high or too low in a vacuum. There are so many variables that need to be taken into account: you need to know the HOA's reserve fund, get a record of special assessments in the past and inquire if any special assessments are planned for the future, see how often increases occur historically, compare the HOA dues of that building to similar construction nearby, has or will the HOA been involved in any legal disputes, read minutes from prior HOA meetings, etc.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:31 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default While I agree with being fair / understanding the whole situation, there’s also the “Starbucks limit”...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
You really can't just look at an HOA fee and say it's too high or too low in a vacuum. There are so many variables that need to be taken into account: you need to know the HOA's reserve fund, get a record of special assessments in the past and inquire if any special assessments are planned for the future, see how often increases occur historically, compare the HOA dues of that building to similar construction nearby, has or will the HOA been involved in any legal disputes, read minutes from prior HOA meetings, etc.
...you have to be smart about digging into reserves, history of special assessments, comparable buildings.
That said when it crosses over a line that is more than just a “bit of foamy milk on top of overly roasted coffee” the pool of folks who tolerant such fees becomes vanishingly small.

So let’s put some numbers around this — say you spend $4 every morning with the coffee people. End of the week that’s $20 they have that you don’t. Compared to CTA/Metra pass not a big deal, as you can’t get either of those for under $80/mo...

But double that? Two trips to get the barista fix? Still gonna be tolerated by most folks as $160x12 is still small potatoes, not really worth cutting back as your under $2kyr...

But if you cross that threshold folks really do say “where’s the value”. They’re gonna want amenities they can see — in-building workout facility, on-site pool better be part of the hundreds a month fees...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago