U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most popular professional sports team in Chicago?
Cubs 47 57.32%
White Sox 4 4.88%
Bears 23 28.05%
Bulls 6 7.32%
Blackhawks 2 2.44%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 02:40 PM

233 posts, read 57,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
The North Shore has always been hockey crazy. However, the fact that the Blackhawks frequently did not make it to television (within the last 20 years if you can believe it) because the game did not sell out should tell you that Chicago was not as hockey crazy as Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, etc.
The Blackhawks frequently didn’t make it to television because they had the worst owners in NHL history in the Wirtz family. Bill Wirtz didn’t know a thing about running a hockey franchise. Bill Wirtz thought it would be a good idea to NOT televise local Blackhawks games in the Chicago media market because he thought he would run afoul of the Blackhawks season ticket holders. Far different cry from what you stated about the game not selling out. Chicago has always had decent attendance in the NHL no matter how bad they were or having the worst owners in the NHL. So yes, Chicago is hockey crazy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 03:01 PM

6,456 posts, read 2,595,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
When Guaranteed Rate Field came out, I thought it was horrific. Now, meh, it doesn't seem that bad. At least the company is located right here in town, employing local people. The logo, however, needs to go.

The park itself is very nice now, BTW. Anyone who says it's a bad ballpark hasn't been to a game in a long time. The improvements are outstanding. It's a beautiful park. I was there on May 30th, a 10-4 win over Cleveland, and it was gorgeous, and a wonderful time.

This all boils down to the fact that the Sox play on the poorer side of town, adjacent to an expressway. Nobody is walking to the game and hanging around drinking beers afterward. It's a part of town the Chads and Trixies are too good to enter. So really, most people going to the games are ACTUAL fans.

That said, the fanbase is small for a big city, and the Cubs base is large. There's no debating that, it just is what it is. And that's just going to keep being exacerbated about how Chicago has formed its neighborhoods. Wrigley is a tourist destination in an upscale area. Sox Park is in a working class part of town. The Sox could win 3 championships in a row and not catch up. And you know what, that's perfectly okay. I like being part of a smaller, tighter club of fans. I feel a kinship with my Sox fan friends - it's too easy to be a Cubs fan - there's nothing special about it.

That all said, Cub fans and Sox fans unite when it comes to the Bears, who are #1 in the city of Chicago and the suburbs.

Outside of Chicago, the Cubs may be #1 due to WGN and its worldwide reach.
If you think that part of town is a Chad/Trixie-free zone, you must not be aware of the demographic changes taking place there. Though to be fair, when they move to the neighborhood they usually bring their "W" flags with them to hang in their windows.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:03 PM

1,213 posts, read 846,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If you think that part of town is a Chad/Trixie-free zone, you must not be aware of the demographic changes taking place there. Though to be fair, when they move to the neighborhood they usually bring their "W" flags with them to hang in their windows.
Not 100% Chad/Trixie free, but there is no comparison.

Bridgeport is way better than it used to be. But it's not flooded with 20-30 somethings.

Back in the 70s and 80s it was marginally safe to even be in that area. It's evolved to "meh".

Frankly, I don't mind it at all, but other than a Sox game or Maria's, not going there for fun.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:05 AM

2,559 posts, read 1,511,755 times
Quote:
When Guaranteed Rate Field came out, I thought it was horrific. Now, meh, it doesn't seem that bad. At least the company is located right here in town, employing local people. The logo, however, needs to go.
The logo is atrocious, and apparently the White Sox FO attempted to convince the company to at least make the infamous red arrow into a red home plate; the company refused.

Word on the street too is, the CEO is Cubs fan. The whole naming thing looks like a total troll job on the southside.

Now every time I see a Sox home game on TV and see that cringe-worthy logo all over the place, my heart breaks a little.

I don't know if I'd say "it's cool because they're a hometown company". After all, "KFC Yum!" Brands is HQ'd in Louisville, but I doubt those Louisville fans care a lot when most consider their home basketball stadium to be potentially the worst named sports venue in America.

What is more upsetting is the fact that Wintrust apparently was going to buy the rights to new Comiskey, but I guess it never came to fruition. I'd be totally cool with "Wintrust" park. Hell, even "McDonald's" park would be better. But "Guaranteed Rate Field" is handily the worst name for a ballpark in the MLB, and among the worst in all of sports. It's hard to even call it by a nickname. "The Rate"? Yuck. At least "The Cell" was a good and fitting name for the park, despite being based on the previous corporate sponsor. A lot of people say the park's name doesn't matter, and I know in large part that's true. Still, it's very bad for the image of the White Sox, which in reality could use all the help it can get being the underdog (in popularity) in town. Seeing that logo all over the place there makes the team look like they're playing in the minors, not in the majors in the third largest city in the U.S.

Like I said though, I think it will turn out the same way Enron Field (Now Minute Maid Park) turned out. Which is to say, the company won't exist for a long time. At least, we can only hope.

I agree though, the park is awesome, and the gameday experience there is miles better than the tourist attraction on the north side. Those renovations done in the 2000's has almost made the place a completely new park on its own. The biggest complaint, that I think will never go away about new Comiskey/Sox Park, is the fact that it's not facing the skyline. Which really does stink. That would easily have made the park at least 10x more loved/appreciated by fans.

Last edited by CCrest182; 06-15-2019 at 03:18 AM..

Old 06-15-2019, 06:57 AM

1,025 posts, read 575,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
The logo is atrocious, and apparently the White Sox FO attempted to convince the company to at least make the infamous red arrow into a red home plate; the company refused.

Word on the street too is, the CEO is Cubs fan. The whole naming thing looks like a total troll job on the southside.

Now every time I see a Sox home game on TV and see that cringe-worthy logo all over the place, my heart breaks a little.

I don't know if I'd say "it's cool because they're a hometown company". After all, "KFC Yum!" Brands is HQ'd in Louisville, but I doubt those Louisville fans care a lot when most consider their home basketball stadium to be potentially the worst named sports venue in America.

What is more upsetting is the fact that Wintrust apparently was going to buy the rights to new Comiskey, but I guess it never came to fruition. I'd be totally cool with "Wintrust" park. Hell, even "McDonald's" park would be better. But "Guaranteed Rate Field" is handily the worst name for a ballpark in the MLB, and among the worst in all of sports. It's hard to even call it by a nickname. "The Rate"? Yuck. At least "The Cell" was a good and fitting name for the park, despite being based on the previous corporate sponsor. A lot of people say the park's name doesn't matter, and I know in large part that's true. Still, it's very bad for the image of the White Sox, which in reality could use all the help it can get being the underdog (in popularity) in town. Seeing that logo all over the place there makes the team look like they're playing in the minors, not in the majors in the third largest city in the U.S.

Like I said though, I think it will turn out the same way Enron Field (Now Minute Maid Park) turned out. Which is to say, the company won't exist for a long time. At least, we can only hope.

I agree though, the park is awesome, and the gameday experience there is miles better than the tourist attraction on the north side. Those renovations done in the 2000's has almost made the place a completely new park on its own. The biggest complaint, that I think will never go away about new Comiskey/Sox Park, is the fact that it's not facing the skyline. Which really does stink. That would easily have made the park at least 10x more loved/appreciated by fans.
Frankly I hate baseball as it is boring as hell but have had to games at both places and White Sox Park is much better. First it is near downtown where cubs park is miles Uptown. Sox Park has two el lines that go there and a Metra stop and parking. cubs park only one el and no Metra and no parking. Sox park is modern and huge and comfy and has incredible food and atmosphere. cubs park is tiny and old and frankly is a dump and please do not even get me started on the fans there!.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:03 AM

6,360 posts, read 7,389,154 times
[quote=CCrest182;55410141]Honestly, I can't wait for the next recession so that company can go under, and the Sox get a new name for their ballpark. What a disgrace of a name that place has. Easily the worst in baseball. Though the Brewers are also getting a bad name on their ballpark in 2020

oh, come on, CC, lighten up. I mean, you got to love a ballpark logo with an arrow plunging downward>

I hate to ask, but what will Miller Park be in 2020? Pottawatomi Bingo Field?

Old 06-15-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:

The park itself is very nice now, BTW. Anyone who says it's a bad ballpark hasn't been to a game in a long time. The improvements are outstanding. It's a beautiful park. I was there on May 30th, a 10-4 win over Cleveland, and it was gorgeous, and a wonderful time.

This all boils down to the fact that the Sox play on the poorer side of town, adjacent to an expressway. Nobody is walking to the game and hanging around drinking beers afterward. It's a part of town the Chads and Trixies are too good to enter. So really, most people going to the games are ACTUAL fans.

That said, the fanbase is small for a big city, and the Cubs base is large. There's no debating that, it just is what it is. And that's just going to keep being exacerbated about how Chicago has formed its neighborhoods. Wrigley is a tourist destination in an upscale area. Sox Park is in a working class part of town. The Sox could win 3 championships in a row and not catch up. And you know what, that's perfectly okay. I like being part of a smaller, tighter club of fans. I feel a kinship with my Sox fan friends - it's too easy to be a Cubs fan - there's nothing special about it.

That all said, Cub fans and Sox fans unite when it comes to the Bears, who are #1 in the city of Chicago and the suburbs.

Outside of Chicago, the Cubs may be #1 due to WGN and its worldwide reach.
Not all that different in the other two team markets (Yankees over Mets, Dodgers over Angels, Giants over Athletic). The Bay Area's divide far exceeds Chicago's in this respect.

Kind of related, a most interesting fact I was read: at the time of it being surveyed, the New York Jets were the only NFL team to not have one county in the entire US that had the Jets as its favorite team. In MLB today, the A's are far less East Bay's team than the Sox are the South Side's team.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Frankly I hate baseball as it is boring as hell but have had to games at both places and White Sox Park is much better. First it is near downtown where cubs park is miles Uptown. Sox Park has two el lines that go there and a Metra stop and parking. cubs park only one el and no Metra and no parking. Sox park is modern and huge and comfy and has incredible food and atmosphere. cubs park is tiny and old and frankly is a dump and please do not even get me started on the fans there!.
Let's give credit where credit is due: the remake of "the new Comiskey" did a fantastic job, did so much to correct the original problems of the park. But don't forget that the new park was star-crossed from the start...it appeared like state of the art in 1990 when it opened. In 1991 disaster struck on the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards destroyed the new Comiskey. Nothing was the same after Camden Yards.

Of all the things that needed correction at Guaranteed Comiskey, the biggest is impossible to improve. Ballparks are traditionally built facing north and east as those two directions are best for preventing the ill effects of sunlight on viewing and playing the game.

That configuration was part of both Wrigley Field and Comiskey Park. Midway between the two was (is) downtown Chicago. Wrigley Field couldn't see downtown because it looked north, in the opposite direction. Comiskey Park did face downtown and the view would have been interesting except that, totally unlike Wrigley, Comiskey had no outfield view at all with double deck stands surrounding the field except for the center field bleachers (and above them in the distance, there was no downtown).

So what happened after the state legislature "turned back the clock" some 30 or so minutes to give us the new Comiskey: pretty much a rush job in designing and building a new park which was just a field to play baseball on, not a ballpark as an experience that was to be the following year in Baltimore.

I'd still like to know the genius who came up with the notion that the new Comiskey would face south rather than north. Sure, I can figure out why that decision was made: the awkward and ugly connecting ramps across 35th Street (something that never could have happened after Camden Yards) needed to connect with the half of the stadium to the left of the foul poles.In a N and E configuration, there could be no connection from the parking lot that replaced the old park since it would have largely been the low level bleachers. And having to cross 35th on foot would have been disastrous.

Also, the main entrance to the ballpark seemed to have needed a main entrance on a major street (35th) where a north and east orientation would have put the park's main entrance on a side street.

Since they couldn't figure out how to do the orientation the right way, the park faces south and west with a CHA building that could have used multiple floor roof tops to become the Sheffield and Waveland of the South Side. So the view of the CHA bldg and all beyond it across the Ryan was "fenced off" with signage. And the sun plays a major role because the sun is, well, to the south of us...and that is a problem.

Imagine a mee 90° CCW rotation and the new Comiskey would be facing north and east with what have been one of the best skyline views in MLB, short only of Pittsburgh.

Out west in San Francisco, Pac Bell (now Oracle) Park had planned for an orientation that would have had it face north and west (so afternoon sunlight could have been a problem). That decision was based on the notion that it would have given the ballpark an outstanding view of the skyline and it would also have allowed the team to use the frontage on China Basin (where McCovey Cove is located) to be lined with shops since it would have been the main part (not bleachers) of the new park.

Then prior to going ahead with this idea, they realized how much wind had helped destroy the monstrosity that never should have been in the first place, Candlestick Park. And through wind testing, the Giants got their current configuration, one in which wind plays little role in what is arguably MLB's best ballpark.

I guess the starting rotation for the Giants worked far better than for the White Sox....who never experienced one.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:05 PM

15,070 posts, read 27,748,042 times
The other day at work, a Brazilian tourist asks me:

"What is the best sport team in Chicago?"

I ask back, "the best team or the most popular?" Knowing of course the answer can be so convoluted as to warrant ten pages of city-data thread.

Of course, he's from Brazil, so far and away he knows the NBA better than any of our other leagues, what with the league's international profile and the fact that basketball is probably the second most popular sport after soccer there. Plus several guys from his country have played in the league. So he knows the Bulls better than anyone.

But the best? I tell him the Bulls have been struggling lately, and local interest in the team has probably never been lower. But it has the legacy of Michael Jordan and six championships in the same decade, which nobody else in Chicago has ever managed.

He then points to a Cubs logo on the wall. "What about the Cubes?" (as in Rubik's, which is how he pronounces it)

I think that, to me, pretty much settles what is the most popular sports franchise in Chicago on a global scale.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:41 PM

2,559 posts, read 1,511,755 times
[quote=edsg25;55430399]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Honestly, I can't wait for the next recession so that company can go under, and the Sox get a new name for their ballpark. What a disgrace of a name that place has. Easily the worst in baseball. Though the Brewers are also getting a bad name on their ballpark in 2020

oh, come on, CC, lighten up. I mean, you got to love a ballpark logo with an arrow plunging downward>

I hate to ask, but what will Miller Park be in 2020? Pottawatomi Bingo Field?
It's going to become American Family Insurance Field/Park. Which is abhorrent compared to Miller Park, but also still much better than GRF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago