U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most popular professional sports team in Chicago?
Cubs 47 57.32%
White Sox 4 4.88%
Bears 23 28.05%
Bulls 6 7.32%
Blackhawks 2 2.44%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 03:38 PM

6,360 posts, read 7,390,598 times

Advertisements

[quote=CCrest182;55432703]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

It's going to become American Family Insurance Field/Park. Which is abhorrent compared to Miller Park, but also still much better than GRF.
Hey! I've got an idea! Since Milwaukee is a county as well as a city, why don't they call it County Stadium.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 10:14 PM

763 posts, read 671,108 times
I have to say the Bears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Frankly I hate baseball as it is boring as hell but have had to games at both places and White Sox Park is much better. First it is near downtown where cubs park is miles Uptown. Sox Park has two el lines that go there and a Metra stop and parking. cubs park only one el and no Metra and no parking. Sox park is modern and huge and comfy and has incredible food and atmosphere. cubs park is tiny and old and frankly is a dump and please do not even get me started on the fans there!.
Wrigley is only marginally further from downtown than GRF. Addison is 3600 North, so the difference is that Wrigley is a mile further west, but at North Ave, Clark St angles out to where Wrigley is located. The same rapid transit line goes to both, but Wrigley does lack Metra and also is way behind in parking.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:34 PM

15,071 posts, read 27,752,574 times
More than anything I think it's just the Red Line having fewer stops from downtown to 35th/Sox station as opposed to Addison.
Not that great of a difference in real distance, but if two people were to board the Red at Monroe in different directions, the one going southbound gets to the ballpark first.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:54 AM

382 posts, read 221,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The other day at work, a Brazilian tourist asks me:

"What is the best sport team in Chicago?"

I ask back, "the best team or the most popular?" Knowing of course the answer can be so convoluted as to warrant ten pages of city-data thread.

Of course, he's from Brazil, so far and away he knows the NBA better than any of our other leagues, what with the league's international profile and the fact that basketball is probably the second most popular sport after soccer there. Plus several guys from his country have played in the league. So he knows the Bulls better than anyone.

But the best? I tell him the Bulls have been struggling lately, and local interest in the team has probably never been lower. But it has the legacy of Michael Jordan and six championships in the same decade, which nobody else in Chicago has ever managed.

He then points to a Cubs logo on the wall. "What about the Cubes?" (as in Rubik's, which is how he pronounces it)

I think that, to me, pretty much settles what is the most popular sports franchise in Chicago on a global scale.
Yeah. Outside the US Bulls and Cubs are probably better known than the bears. Just because of historical achievements and failures.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:24 AM

6,463 posts, read 2,600,004 times
Quote:
More than anything I think it's just the Red Line having fewer stops from downtown to 35th/Sox station as opposed to Addison.
Not that great of a difference in real distance, but if two people were to board the Red at Monroe in different directions, the one going southbound gets to the ballpark first.
It's all of 20 minutes from Monroe to Addison, versus 15 to 35th Street. Throw in the slightly longer walking distance to any of the various gates at GFF and it's about a wash.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:14 PM

1,214 posts, read 846,845 times
The G Spot.

I'm just assuming Guaranteed Rate Field is temporary just like US Cellular was, and lots of other names are.

So I just call it Sox Park - who cares, really.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:22 AM

2,560 posts, read 1,513,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
The G Spot.

I'm just assuming Guaranteed Rate Field is temporary just like US Cellular was, and lots of other names are.

So I just call it Sox Park - who cares, really.
"The G Spot" has grown on me. It's the only nickname for the new name I will ever say. I will never call it "The Rate", "G-Rate", or any other garbage like that.

I just hope GRF isn't the name for even nearly as long as US Cellular was the name.....

People keep saying "the name doesn't matter" or "who cares". I'd be inclined to agree, but knowing the CEO is a huge Cub fan apparently, that just makes it all the more frustrating and not cool. And not to mention, the logo is still all over the place there... A giant red arrow being associated with any sports team is generally not a good thing for brand/team image.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:51 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,392,610 times
Quote:
This is completely off topic, but 3500 S. is a fair amount closer than 3600 north and somewhat explains the discrepancy in stops.

Mile markers south: Roosevelt, Cermak, 31st. 35th is half mile south of 31st and 3.5 miles south of Madison
Mile markers north: Chicago, North, Fullerton, Belmont. Addison is half mile north of Belmont and 4.5 miles north of Madison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago