U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most popular professional sports team in Chicago?
Cubs 47 57.32%
White Sox 4 4.88%
Bears 23 28.05%
Bulls 6 7.32%
Blackhawks 2 2.44%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 09:04 AM

2,174 posts, read 1,088,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
2. Elgin's not a representative sample. If I go to my hometown in the South Suburbs, report that 90% of people's favorite team there is the Sox or the Bears and then come on here and say, "because that is true, that must mean it's true for all of Chicago", I'd have a lot of people calling me an idiot.

So you decided to poll everyone from all areas, and still are not satisfied with the results?.
We have plenty of Bear and Sox fans in this "not representative" suburb, but they are out-numbered.
Just like your poll results stated, and confirmed by attendance figures.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 09:53 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,382,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
So you decided to poll everyone from all areas, and still are not satisfied with the results?.
We have plenty of Bear and Sox fans in this "not representative" suburb, but they are out-numbered.
I don't understand your first sentence. I never polled anyone. I don't think you understood my previous post either, but that's ok. I'm assuming most of the Cubs and Sox fans in Elgin are also Bears fans, but a Cubs fan isn't a Sox fan, and a Sox fan isn't a Cubs fan, for the most part. Maybe Elgin is some strange city unlike any other in the Chicago area, but I don't think I'm going out on a limb with that assertion.

Let me clarify what I was saying in my last post because maybe it wasn't clear. As an aside, I don't understand what attendance figures have to do with anything when comparing to the Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks. The Bears draw more fans per game than the Cubs, but I won't make that argument, because it's silly and irrelevant for a number of reasons. I'm not arguing the Cubs are more popular than the Sox. I'm not stupid enough to think the Sox are or have ever been more popular than the Cubs after 1998, and as a Sox fan, honestly who are the 3 people that responded that actually think the Sox are the most popular team in Chicago?

My whole point is based on fractions as evidenced by nearly all my posts in this thread. The Chicago area is probably like 60/40 split Cubs and Sox fans, but it's probably like 98/2 Bears/all other football teams fans. This should be the only sentence I need in this post, but I'll continue to clarify my point.

Cubs and Sox fans for the most part are split geographically, not perfectly, as you state there's some Sox fans in the Elgin area, just like there's some Cub fans in the South Suburbs. My point is you can't say that seeing mostly Cubs gear around Elgin as a representative sample because of a geographic split, like how I can't take observations from the South Suburbs and apply those results to Elgin, Mount Prospect or Highland Park, for instance.

What I'm saying is your basis for saying the Cubs are most popular based on what you saw around Elgin is flawed. That's like when political poll results say they polled 1,000 people via landline phone and the results skew Republican. Millennials, which tend to lean more Democrat also tend to not have landline phones, so they're not really included in the poll and therefore the poll doesn't represent the whole population.

Does this make sense yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post

Regarding this sentence, again, it wasn't my poll. Secondly, let me say why the poll itself as evidence doesn't make sense, by way of analogy.

Say I polled 70 people on this board and said, "what's the favorite ice cream in Chicago?" and the poll overwhelmingly skewed toward vanilla.

But another poll existed asking Chicagoans, "what's your favorite ice cream?" and the results were overwhelmingly chocolate, but like 60 percent said they also like vanilla and 40 percent said they don't like vanilla at all. And the people who picked vanilla in the first poll didn't have the data from the second poll. They just saw some kids in their town order vanilla ice cream cones at Dairy Queen last weekend and based their response on that. Then someone said to those people queried in the first poll, "hey did you see this second poll where most people said they like chocolate and a good number said they don't like vanilla at all?" Then those people respond, "well, I feel like they like vanilla." That's what it's like reading this thread.

Those arguing that nationally the Cubs have a fan base rivaling the Bears' popularity may have a point, and that's something to debate and difficult to quantify. I'm literally providing you information though that a large percentage of Chicago doesn't root for the Cubs and it's geographically split, so Elgin doesn't tell you anything about areas an hour from Elgin.

Last edited by fusillirob1983; 06-07-2018 at 10:06 AM..

Old 06-07-2018, 10:24 AM

5,618 posts, read 4,671,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
And here I thought Chicago was a huge Hockey town.
Pfft. Prior to 2008? Hardly. City of bandwagoners.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:19 PM

2,487 posts, read 1,580,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
And here I thought Chicago was a huge Hockey town.
The North Shore has always been hockey crazy. However, the fact that the Blackhawks frequently did not make it to television (within the last 20 years if you can believe it) because the game did not sell out should tell you that Chicago was not as hockey crazy as Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, etc.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:57 PM

795 posts, read 667,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
11 people picked Cubs so far...that means 11 people don't understand fractions.

It's the Bears and it's not close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
Bulls at zero percent. lol not one vote yet

my personal favorite is the bulls. but chicago is a bears town. and they haven't even been to the playoffs in like 8 years.

the bulls are still selling out the UC despite them being a rebuilding team, so that says something. I believe they were like #3 in the NBA in attendance as well.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:31 PM

2,544 posts, read 1,501,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I lived on the West Side, South Side and North Side, lastly on the North Side, and it’s my impression that in the city itself the Sox have at least as many fans as the Cubs, if not more. In any event I ran into far more Sox fans in Lincoln Square and Albany Park than Cubs fans in Bridgeport and McKinley Park.

In any event in my dotage I realize that the social purpose of big time sports is to give the average nimrod something trivial on which to be an expert.
The western burbs, especially the inner western burbs closer to the city like Oak Park and Forest Park, those are 100% Sox territory. Then of course all the southwest and south suburbs are also Sox country, all the way into Northwest Indiana. Once you leave the Chicago Metro, that's where you see more out of town, WGN-produced Cubs fans.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:37 PM

The answer is the Bears, no debating. Yes the Cubs get way more attention when it comes to baseball, but this idea that "The Sox have no fans because of the Cubs" is ridiculous and clearly based on nothing but a bunch of lies and hearsay. The White Sox pack their stadium when the team is at least enjoyable and entertaining to watch, and sell outs happen frequently when they win. There are tons of teams in worse positions in terms of attendance/ fanship over the White Sox. New Comiskey is not a tourist attraction like the park on the northside is. The south side fans are real, Chicago roots people who care about baseball, while the northside is just one big drinking and dating fest with a bunch of tourists and suburban/out of state transplants.

The Bulls were much more prominent in the 90's, but overall they are definitely not the most popular team in Chicago. Even though hockey is getting more popular, it's still nowhere near as popular as the NFL. At least in America this is true.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:38 PM

382 posts, read 220,644 times
Most popular team is the most embarrassing team.
Bears.

Only team not to win in my lifetime.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
Most popular team is the most embarrassing team.
Bears.

Only team not to win in my lifetime.
"Embarrassing"? Not this past season, and most certainly not this upcoming season. I would heavily argue the Bulls are by far the most embarrassing Chicago pro sports team (outside of the 90's).

I'm right there with you though. They're the only Chicago sports that hasn't won a championship in my lifetime. Bulls, Sox, Cubs, Hawks (don't give a crap about Soccer), they've all won. Born in the 90's, I've never seen the Bears win. Hopefully 2020 is the year.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:04 PM

16,890 posts, read 19,641,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
"Embarrassing"? Not this past season, and most certainly not this upcoming season. I would heavily argue the Bulls are by far the most embarrassing Chicago pro sports team (outside of the 90's).

I'm right there with you though. They're the only Chicago sports that hasn't won a championship in my lifetime. Bulls, Sox, Cubs, Hawks (don't give a crap about Soccer), they've all won. Born in the 90's, I've never seen the Bears win. Hopefully 2020 is the year.
They won in 1985. You're a youngun'

https://youtu.be/NQMHrLww0m4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago