Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 12:58 PM

32 posts, read 38,564 times

Advertisements

So I just moved to Chicago and I'm working for Shure Inc. in Niles. A lot of my coworkers have recommended Lincoln Square over some of the more popular neighborhoods like Lakeview and Wicker Park for the shorter commute. I'm 26 and single and wondering if there's much going on in Lincoln Square for someone like me. I don't know anyone in Chicago yet so I'd like to get involved in recreational sports and some meetups. As much as I'd like a shorter commute, I don't want to sacrifice a social life for it. What are everyone's thoughts on the neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2018, 01:15 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,151,175 times
It really depends how you define if your social life is impacted. You obviously can't stumble home from the Wrigleyville bars on foot - it's too far. You can easily catch an Uber/Lyft and be home in 10 minutes, or if you have your bearings well enough you can walk to the Brown Line and take that home.

Lincoln Square's a nice neighborhood. It skews just a few years older, but you're still not far from Lakeview/Lincoln Park and there will be some people your age around there. You probably won't be walking to those neighborhoods from Lincoln Square, but it's also an easy bike ride (assuming you're doing so for a sports league and not after a night at the bars). You can also find plenty of sports leagues playing within a 10 minute drive too, or maybe 15 minutes if at the south end of Lincoln Park along Lake Shore Drive, or volleyball at the beach for instance.

There's a bit to do in Lincoln Square too. Lincoln Ave. has a handful of bars, some decent restaurants. Depending where you live in the neighborhood, Jewel and/or Mariano's are close by for grocery shopping. There's like 5 breweries in Lincoln Square/North Center. There's an L.A. Fitness and a Crossfit in Lincoln Square, and XSport is 10 minutes away in Lakeview if you prefer going there.

Depending where you live in Lincoln Square, your work commute will be 10-15 minutes shorter than Lakeview or Wicker Park and you'll avoid some of the Cubs traffic/parking issues.

Last edited by fusillirob1983; 06-06-2018 at 01:23 PM..

Old 06-06-2018, 01:21 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,661,392 times
I lived in a 3 flat in the west part of Lincoln Square, over by the river, for a couple of years; this was about 5 years ago. I liked the neighborhood it because it had an old fashioned regular guy feel and was both ethnically and economically diverse. I didn’t like my upstairs neighbors though but what are you gonna do? Anyway, the neighborhood was clean and safe and driving to the north and northwest was easy. Maybe my information is out of date.

The guy downstairs worked at Shure, in IEM development. I like Shure headphones very much; AKGs too.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:23 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,326,474 times
Lived there a huge chunk of my twenties. There is stuff to do there, and it's easy to get to other neighborhoods, especially those along the Brown Line. I biked easily to Lakeview/Wrigleyville/etc. Didn't spend a ton of time in Bucktown/Wicker Park, but when I did, it wasn't that hard to bike or take the Western or Damen buses. Or a cab. This was like ten years ago, so it was pre-Uber, but I'm positive that Uber/Lyft would make it even easier now.

I also had quite a few friends who lived in the neighborhood. It wasn't all strollers and walkers. I looked at apartments in other neighborhoods over the years that I was there, but always found myself back in Lincoln Square. It's pretty great.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the info on Lincoln Square. Right now I'm staying at a temporary place in Lakeview near Ashland and Belmont. I love the area so far and the vibes I'm getting from the neighborhood but the commute to work in Niles has been killing me. Are Lincoln Square or Ravenswood still my best options for neighborhoods closer to work that have a similar feel as Lakeview? I've also been recommended Edgewater as an area that would be an easier commute but haven't spent any time there yet.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruggles View Post
Thanks for the info on Lincoln Square. Right now I'm staying at a temporary place in Lakeview near Ashland and Belmont. I love the area so far and the vibes I'm getting from the neighborhood but the commute to work in Niles has been killing me. Are Lincoln Square or Ravenswood still my best options for neighborhoods closer to work that have a similar feel as Lakeview? I've also been recommended Edgewater as an area that would be an easier commute but haven't spent any time there yet.

How long's the commute been so far on average? What times are you traveling and in general what route?

Old 06-08-2018, 10:39 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,989,538 times
Edgewater is far less interesting than Lincoln Square, though neither area has the massive numbers of singles oriented sportsbars that are kind of Lakeview's signature characteristic.

Many people find Lincoln Square's nice mix of locally owned restaurants and more food oriented traditional and modern pubs to actually be terrific spots to socialize. Edgewater is lacking in that regard and any minor "time savings" would not be worth the lack of social outlets IMNSHO...

Old 06-08-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
How long's the commute been so far on average? What times are you traveling and in general what route?
If I leave right at 5pm its been 40-50 mins so far. Google maps has me taking a different route each time it seems. Usually i90/i94 in the morning and some sidestreets or avenues like ashland or lincoln ave on the commute home. If I go to the gym near my office and wait until 630 or 7 it's a little better but still around 35-40. And it's all stop and go traffic, tons of stoplights etc which drives me nuts.

I've also looked into places in Bucktown but it seems like the commute time will be less consistent than Lincoln Square. It can be as short as 15 mins but as long as 45 mins on some days. Is that a correct assumption?

Old 06-08-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruggles View Post
If I leave right at 5pm its been 40-50 mins so far. Google maps has me taking a different route each time it seems. Usually i90/i94 in the morning and some sidestreets or avenues like ashland or lincoln ave on the commute home. If I go to the gym near my office and wait until 630 or 7 it's a little better but still around 35-40. And it's all stop and go traffic, tons of stoplights etc which drives me nuts.

I've also looked into places in Bucktown but it seems like the commute time will be less consistent than Lincoln Square. It can be as short as 15 mins but as long as 45 mins on some days. Is that a correct assumption?
Unfortunately that's how traffic is at like 5pm, and the expressway's not really better coming home probably. No stoplights...just a lot of sitting. I always looked at the sidestreets as at least I was moving, but I understand the concern on your end.

Lincoln Square is probably more consistent and faster of a commute than Bucktown, given that depending where in Lincoln Square you are, it's about 10-15 minutes less commuting than Lakeview, and Bucktown may be no faster than Lakeview.

Lincoln Square would probably be a more enjoyable neighborhood for you than Edgewater I would imagine, but I've spent a lot more time in LS than Edgewater, so maybe I'm missing something.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusillirob1983 View Post
Unfortunately that's how traffic is at like 5pm, and the expressway's not really better coming home probably. No stoplights...just a lot of sitting. I always looked at the sidestreets as at least I was moving, but I understand the concern on your end.

Lincoln Square is probably more consistent and faster of a commute than Bucktown, given that depending where in Lincoln Square you are, it's about 10-15 minutes less commuting than Lakeview, and Bucktown may be no faster than Lakeview.

Lincoln Square would probably be a more enjoyable neighborhood for you than Edgewater I would imagine, but I've spent a lot more time in LS than Edgewater, so maybe I'm missing something.
It looks like I could potentially take the Blue line from Bucktown to Jefferson Park then hop on the 85A bus right to my office. Do you think that is a viable option for days where the traffic is worse than usual?

I've been looking almost all weekend for a place in Lincoln Square or Ravenswood that checks all the boxes and can't seem to find anything. There's tons of nice renovated places in nice areas of LV with garage parking but that's not improving my commute time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago