Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 12:48 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times

Advertisements

There will be a 25 dollar fee to ride it. This ensures that the L line riff raff stays off and you can ride in clean and safe comfort. Yay Elon!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 11:45 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,048,411 times
This pipe dream will never happen ! It it no more than a campaign issue for the mayor. In today's Tribune it states that they would need 4000 people a day to use it for it to pay for itself. I doubt that there has ever been 4000 people going to O'hare from the loop in a single day ever. And please, when has the promise of " It won't cost the taxpayers a penny" ever been true. Certainly not from any Chicago politician.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:55 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
This pipe dream will never happen ! It it no more than a campaign issue for the mayor. In today's Tribune it states that they would need 4000 people a day to use it for it to pay for itself. I doubt that there has ever been 4000 people going to O'hare from the loop in a single day ever. And please, when has the promise of " It won't cost the taxpayers a penny" ever been true. Certainly not from any Chicago politician.
You don’t think more people would go to the Loop if it were 12 minutes from O’Hare? O’Hare gets 20k travelers a day. Only 20% would need to go to/from downtown.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:07 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
You don’t think more people would go to the Loop if it were 12 minutes from O’Hare? O’Hare gets 20k travelers a day. Only 20% would need to go to/from downtown.
Why would that affect going to the loop and where would you go instead? Are you just going to skip your business meeting or trip downtown and hang out at Ohare? Describe that situation. Either you need to go downtown or you don't. 30 extra minutes won't affect that.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:58 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Why would that affect going to the loop and where would you go instead? Are you just going to skip your business meeting or trip downtown and hang out at Ohare? Describe that situation. Either you need to go downtown or you don't. 30 extra minutes won't affect that.
I just posed the question. One situation I can think of is someone who would otherwise stay at a hotel close to the airport, but might consider the Loop/downtown if it was only a 12 minute trip. Hell, if I had a long layover at O’Hare, I might even consider trekking downtown if it was that short of a trip. Yeah, it’s 40 bucks round trip but I might consider it money well spent if I got to do something fun.

Also, don’t you think more people would take it up to the airport rather than driving/uber/taxi from somewhere outside the Loop? My understanding is 4000 passengers either way - to or from the airport.

Last edited by Bluefox; 06-15-2018 at 03:07 PM..

Old 06-15-2018, 06:19 PM

410 posts, read 633,453 times
I think some people are missing the possibility that people in the North/Northwest suburbs or even in the far Northwest Chicago neighborhoods would rather drive into O'Hare to take this express line over sitting in traffic for an hour.

Someone in Bensenville could be in The Loop in half or a third of the time it would take to drive downtown during rush hour. From a cursory Google Maps search someone could potentially cut their 1 hour drive from Northbrook to the Loop into a 30-45 minute affair. This commute would also be fairly painless compared to driving.

I'm not saying this will work, but if it does, there's a chance it could be successful.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:11 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Business travelers from all over the country and the world book around (i.e. avoid) O'Hare for all kinds of reasons. The most important is probably bad weather but inability to get downtown is also very significant. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes and sometimes it takes two hours. You can't plan ahead or catch a flight with uncertainty like that.

Chicago is having a bit of a rough time competing with the coasts and Texas; why put up more obstacles? I support the plan, knowing that it might not succeed, because we have to experiment with different solutions to a growing problem.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:03 AM

1,067 posts, read 914,716 times
I take the Heathrow Express every time I go to London instead of the very convenient but slow Tube. Clean, quiet and nice seats. Shaving off 30 minutes is HUGE for business and non-budget travelers. And I know a lot of business travelers that take uber because they don't want to deal with the el.

I can't believe all the negative comments. Talk about pessimistic people. Privately funded. Truly high speed rail. I can't wait to see it completed. Excited for Chicago.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:10 AM

796 posts, read 929,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
You are thinking about this far too narrowly. If this works and similar systems can be constructed, we are talking about potentially replacing elevated and surface routes along segments of the Blue and Green lines altogether. How does that help? Well, the Kennedy and Eisenhower are a mess and adding capacity by widening to the outside is not easily accomplished due to dense development. But with the tracks on the inside removed, highway lanes can be added in their place.

On the Eisenhower, can anyone explain why the area for the train tracks in the middle appears to be 2-3 times wider than the amount of soon you need to accommodate the trains? The red line on the fan Ryan does not have anywhere close to that footprint. Only the blue line on 290.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:53 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Quote:
Currently, Chicagoans can ride to the airport for $5 on a Chicago Transit Authority train, taking about 40 minutes.
That's from O'hare airport to downtown. To the airport, the fare is $2.50. Clearly this article has out of date information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago