Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 04:40 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times

Advertisements

I stayed in Edgewater part of town. I really enjoyed the area from what I experienced. Walked over to the water.

Not far from Wrigleyville. Only downfall was that I didn't get to see downtown much outside of the boat tour I went on through the city.

I'd love to come back but was curious what are the bad areas of Chicago? I hear the South Side. I actually went to a White Sox game so was in that part of town & I also checked out the Fire House from Backdraft movie which wasn't far from the airport.

I guess I'm curious as to what are the bad areas so I know not to venture in to much or stay. Usually when I start coming back to a town on vacation I do less tourist type things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 04:48 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
I suppose you mean the firehouse on 42nd & Archer, about 3.5 miles from Midway -- https://goo.gl/maps/vvE8eQNDv8x . Lots of other good location info here -- https://www.itsfilmedthere.com/2010/01/backdraft.html . The corridor along Archer is mostly still vibrant, decent rotation from older ethnic generations toward immigrants from Asia and Latin American areas.

The areas that I would advise against seeking out have far more challenges. Many vacant lots, a lack of local stores, poor access to employment. Scout out the area around Robeson High School for a sad example on Google -- https://www.google.com/maps/place/68...!4d-87.6368723

Last edited by chet everett; 06-22-2018 at 05:03 PM..

Old 06-22-2018, 05:04 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
Yea off Archer is correct!

Old 06-24-2018, 06:47 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
South of 35th St on the South Side starts to get pretty sketchy. The west side (west of Western & south of Chicago Ave) is also sketchy. There aren't really any reasons for tourists to go to these areas. Heck, there really aren't any reasons for me to go there. I do go there on occasion for some unique food, but it's probably nothing tourists would be interested in.

I always recommend for tourists to explore the West Loop (some great restaurants over there), Lincoln Park, Logan Square, Wicker Park, Old Town, Uptown, and Lakeview.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:54 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
The White Sox play on the edge of Bridgeport which might turn out to be the first South Side area I check out when I get there in a month or so.

Old 06-25-2018, 05:31 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,954,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
South of 35th St on the South Side starts to get pretty sketchy. The west side (west of Western & south of Chicago Ave) is also sketchy. There aren't really any reasons for tourists to go to these areas. Heck, there really aren't any reasons for me to go there. I do go there on occasion for some unique food, but it's probably nothing tourists would be interested in.

I always recommend for tourists to explore the West Loop (some great restaurants over there), Lincoln Park, Logan Square, Wicker Park, Old Town, Uptown, and Lakeview.
The exception to this "south of 35th St" rule is the Hyde Park area, which takes in The University of Chicago, along with the Museums of Science and History and of African American History, Jackson and Washington parks, as well as the mile-long, eighth-mile wide Midway Plaisance Park which connects the two, and 57th and 63rd beaches. Lots of nice historic buildings are found in this area, including Frank Lloyd Wright's George Blossom House. The immediate lakefront between that and 35th is fairly safe, and Burnham Park along the lake is pretty nice. However, I wouldn't venture west of the Green Line tracks or south of 67th St. My sister is visiting there now, but she's staying in the Mag Mile area and likely to stick to the North Side.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:17 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
The exception to this "south of 35th St" rule is the Hyde Park area, which takes in The University of Chicago, along with the Museums of Science and History and of African American History, Jackson and Washington parks, as well as the mile-long, eighth-mile wide Midway Plaisance Park which connects the two, and 57th and 63rd beaches. Lots of nice historic buildings are found in this area, including Frank Lloyd Wright's George Blossom House. The immediate lakefront between that and 35th is fairly safe, and Burnham Park along the lake is pretty nice. However, I wouldn't venture west of the Green Line tracks or south of 67th St. My sister is visiting there now, but she's staying in the Mag Mile area and likely to stick to the North Side.
Yep! There are always exceptions, but it's generally easier to tell tourists to just avoid a certain section.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:26 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Beverly's also a nice area south of 35th Street. It's not touristy, but there are some unique homes, a few Frank Lloyd Wright homes there as well, and a decent strip of bars on Western Ave. if one has seen all the touristy things or has been to Chicago a few times and wants to see something they haven't seen before, maybe to experience some more "neighborhoody" areas of the city. The South Side St. Patrick's Day parade is held there as well if anyone ever decided to venture to Chicago in March.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:41 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,182,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Yep! There are always exceptions, but it's generally easier to tell tourists to just avoid a certain section.
It's easier to not say anything if you are going to mislead people. It's really not fair to people or businesses in safe areas of the South Side, does a disservice to tourists, and promotes ignorance. I mean, the OP stayed in Edgewater and visited a firehouse at 42nd and Archer, neither of which are known tourist hot spots. There's no shortage of areas to avoid on the South Side, I'll give you that.

I've met plenty of people who didn't grow up in Chicago that think anything south of downtown is unsafe because of false statements and media images of the entire South Side.

Other than two theatres and Montrose Beach, Uptown doesn't offer too much to tourists that I would consider priority visits, but that made your list.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:05 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
If I just wanted tourist traps when I traveled, I'd go to Orlando instead. Eat at a bunch of casual chain restaurants. Buy overpriced trinkets. See the exact same kind of people I would see at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago