Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 11:24 PM

1,080 posts, read 837,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Maybe at some point in a Mad Max future but I don't think that's an immediate concern.
It's already begun with the automatization of many factory jobs and retail jobs. It will grow significantly relatively soon when automobiles are self-driving. (No more jobs for truckers, taxi/Uber/Lyft drivers, or delivery drivers.) It's approaching faster than you appear to realize.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:22 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
It's already begun with the automatization of many factory jobs and retail jobs. It will grow significantly relatively soon when automobiles are self-driving. (No more jobs for truckers, taxi/Uber/Lyft drivers, or delivery drivers.) It's approaching faster than you appear to realize.
Not necessarily...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkot.../#19968d511ff7

And I think that'll continue to improve, at least to a degree. I would agree it's happening here though. Other states have adapted much better to changing conditions.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:25 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
It's happening everywhere, in virtually every field of work. Manufacturing, retail, restaurants, and making inroads into accounting, engineering, healthcare and many more. Pretending that this problem doesn't exist will not make it go away..

Old 07-22-2018, 03:50 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,983 times
retraining, and changing careers to a growth/evolving career is the answer, NOT giving money to people for doing nothing

Old 07-22-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
It's happening everywhere, in virtually every field of work. Manufacturing, retail, restaurants, and making inroads into accounting, engineering, healthcare and many more. Pretending that this problem doesn't exist will not make it go away..
This is part of the Trump Hatred Syndrome (THS). Because he ran on bringing manufacturing jobs back, the left has taken to saying that that's an impossibility, thereby implying that the people who believed it are idiots and dupes.

I don't buy that. I think manufacturing in the United States is still strong. We're just not one of the regions benefiting from it. Personally, I couldn't care less about which politician made this a theme. I just think it's important that we focus on bringing manufacturing jobs to Chicago.

Old 07-22-2018, 07:50 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
This is part of the Trump Hatred Syndrome (THS). Because he ran on bringing manufacturing jobs back, the left has taken to saying that that's an impossibility, thereby implying that the people who believed it are idiots and dupes.

I don't buy that. I think manufacturing in the United States is still strong. We're just not one of the regions benefiting from it. Personally, I couldn't care less about which politician made this a theme. I just think it's important that we focus on bringing manufacturing jobs to Chicago.
Meanwhile, the right ( or ultra-right, which is what the GOP has become) wants to lessen pollution standards, sell off public lands and monuments, abolish unions , give tax breaks to millionaires while eliminating tax breaks to the impoverished, restrict the right to vote, and take away health insurance benefits ( even to those with pre-existing conditions). Save your slogans for Faux News dependents--they're the ones who need a crutch to lean on...

Old 07-22-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Meanwhile, the right ( or ultra-right, which is what the GOP has become) wants to lessen pollution standards, sell off public lands and monuments, abolish unions , give tax breaks to millionaires while eliminating tax breaks to the impoverished, restrict the right to vote, and take away health insurance benefits ( even to those with pre-existing conditions). Save your slogans for Faux News dependents--they're the ones who need a crutch to lean on...
What slogans did I post? And what do public lands and monuments have to do with this? Sounds like you're just spouting off progressive talking points in response to my comments. Fine, I guess, but it'd be nice if they had context.

Anyway, I'm not a regular watcher of Fox News (or any mainstream news source for that matter). I just posted that link because that's who had the story of this idea. I guess you'd let the "ultra right" states have the manufacturing jobs, while your tax dollars go up so you can buy new iPhones and flat screen TVs for those in the 'hood. We have enough debt without that. It's time to focus on broadening the economic base, and fixing our current pension and budgetary woes.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:14 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,481,316 times
Drug dealers are all for this idea since sales will skyrocket.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:21 PM

1,080 posts, read 837,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoseTheClowns5 View Post
Yeah about that..... my 401k Loves Trump.
401k's love increased stock values. Increased stock values love increased profits. Increased profits love decreased expenses, including the decreased payroll expenses that come from automation. So, yeah, for those of us who still have good enough jobs to be able to put money away, we're seeing good returns (for now) on our investments. The problem comes when there aren't enough consumers to buy the automated-produced products. Capitalism depends on enough people having money to spend. If companies aren't paying enough people living wages, the money has to come from somewhere.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
401k's love increased stock values. Increased stock values love increased profits. Increased profits love decreased expenses, including the decreased payroll expenses that come from automation. So, yeah, for those of us who still have good enough jobs to be able to put money away, we're seeing good returns (for now) on our investments. The problem comes when there aren't enough consumers to buy the automated-produced products. Capitalism depends on enough people having money to spend. If companies aren't paying enough people living wages, the money has to come from somewhere.
Unemployment is at its lowest level since 2000, and African American unemployment is also down sharply...

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...est-since-2000

NPR okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago