U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2018, 06:11 PM
 
17 posts, read 21,743 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Buddy it is not even close.

Chicago's Safest And Most Dangerous Neighborhoods 2018: Murders

Those are in some cases rough neighborhoods but in the pantheon of dangerous Chicago neighborhoods they are not even comtenders.
And why are you comparing these neighborhoods to areas like englewood and garfield park? According to your logic any neighborhood that doesnt have as many killings as say Austin or Englewood, that means they arnt dangerous? Areas like Austin and Englewood arnt dangerous, they are completely ****. The worst of the worst. Just because an area isnt the worst of the worst doesnt mean it cant be violent or dangerous, you do understand that right? How are you really going to sit there and say eh, 32 homicides in less than two years in an area of 45,000 doesnt seem too bad.. Lol are you kidding me? You must have lived through the Holocaust if that isnt a lot of death to you.. One homicide in a neighborhood is one too many...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2018, 06:24 PM
 
17 posts, read 21,743 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Look at the comparative crime rates between the worst areas in Chicago and the neighborhoods you cite. There is a chart in the article.


Wow. Nothing really gets through to you does it? What you're saying is like the same thing as saying the sears tower isnt tall because there are other buildings taller. Just because there are areas worse than the ones im talking about doesnt mean that area isnt dangerous. The list you are linking me to is just ranking Chicago neighborhoods from most violent to least violent. The neighborhoods I am talking about are lower on the list because their not AS dangerous (key word: as) as the other neighborhoods, that still doesnt mean they are not dangerous! What dont you understand? This thread is talking about predom. Hispanic areas effected by violent crime. The areas I stated are indeed effected by violent crime. But then here you come and say "no those areas arnt violent when compared to areas like Englewood or Austin." No, their just not AS violent. Still violent, but not as violent. Like I just want to see you say it. Say Belmont Cragin and Brighton Park arnt dangerous areas and tell that to the people that live there too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 07:08 PM
 
6,434 posts, read 6,347,356 times
Reputation: 8715
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyChicago View Post


Wow. Nothing really gets through to you does it? What you're saying is like the same thing as saying the sears tower isnt tall because there are other buildings taller. Just because there are areas worse than the ones im talking about doesnt mean that area isnt dangerous. The list you are linking me to is just ranking Chicago neighborhoods from most violent to least violent. The neighborhoods I am talking about are lower on the list because their not AS dangerous (key word: as) as the other neighborhoods, that still doesnt mean they are not dangerous! What dont you understand? This thread is talking about predom. Hispanic areas effected by violent crime. The areas I stated are indeed effected by violent crime. But then here you come and say "no those areas arnt violent when compared to areas like Englewood or Austin." No, their just not AS violent. Still violent, but not as violent. Like I just want to see you say it. Say Belmont Cragin and Brighton Park arnt dangerous areas and tell that to the people that live there too.
Belmont Cragin with a murder rate of 12.8 per 100,000 is not dangerous by big city standards and I'm happy to say that to the one person I know who lives there.

North Park - 15.3? What? Three times the homicide rate of Uptown? It is the most boring neighborhood in the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 07:22 PM
 
2,990 posts, read 4,900,647 times
Reputation: 2362
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyChicago View Post


Wow. Nothing really gets through to you does it? What you're saying is like the same thing as saying the sears tower isnt tall because there are other buildings taller. Just because there are areas worse than the ones im talking about doesnt mean that area isnt dangerous. The list you are linking me to is just ranking Chicago neighborhoods from most violent to least violent. The neighborhoods I am talking about are lower on the list because their not AS dangerous (key word: as) as the other neighborhoods, that still doesnt mean they are not dangerous! What dont you understand? This thread is talking about predom. Hispanic areas effected by violent crime. The areas I stated are indeed effected by violent crime. But then here you come and say "no those areas arnt violent when compared to areas like Englewood or Austin." No, their just not AS violent. Still violent, but not as violent. Like I just want to see you say it. Say Belmont Cragin and Brighton Park arnt dangerous areas and tell that to the people that live there too.
I don’t know what you want people to say. Yes, Brighton Park is dangerous. It’s not even in the the top 20ish most dangerous neighborhoods.

You are right in that the answer to the original question is in some cases no, it is not unaffected. You are wrong in the sense that comparing it to the Gold Standards of what is considered a dangerous Chicago neighborhood, they are not even close to the same league.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 09:26 PM
 
502 posts, read 330,173 times
Reputation: 543
So pretty much what I'm getting in this thread, to put it into perspective for myself, is that for the most part the Latino "hood" areas in Chicago are pretty much like any regular hood area here in Texas, whereas neighborhoods like Englewood and etc. are pretty much on a whole nother level. So pretty much Latinos in Chicago definitely are affected by violent crime in Chicago but not astronomically so compared to Latinos in other American cities. As opposed to the majority black neighborhoods of Chicago that have a lot more violence when compared to black neighborhoods in other cities.

Which might be why in comparison to majority black neighborhoods in Chicago some people may say that violence isn't really a problem in Hispanic neighborhoods even though many times it can be. That's how I've come to make sense of it, would y'all say this is a good summary?

It does seem like gang culture is more present throughout Chicago compared to TX. TX has gangs but they're more about just making money than really banging like that.

Last edited by River City Rocky; 10-10-2018 at 09:34 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 09:49 PM
 
17 posts, read 21,743 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I don’t know what you want people to say. Yes, Brighton Park is dangerous. It’s not even in the the top 20ish most dangerous neighborhoods.

You are right in that the answer to the original question is in some cases no, it is not unaffected. You are wrong in the sense that comparing it to the Gold Standards of what is considered a dangerous Chicago neighborhood, they are not even close to the same league.
I am not the one comparing neighborhoods 'to the gold standards of what is considered a dangerous chicago neighborhood.' What are you talking about?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 10:02 PM
 
17 posts, read 21,743 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Belmont Cragin with a murder rate of 12.8 per 100,000 is not dangerous by big city standards and I'm happy to say that to the one person I know who lives there.

North Park - 15.3? What? Three times the homicide rate of Uptown? It is the most boring neighborhood in the city.
I hope you do realize that you are looking at statistics from just this year alone right? A lot happens in a small amount of time. Deciding whether a neighborhood is dangerous or not based on less than a year of statistics is not sufficient enough. Belmont Cragin has had 24 homicides in less than two years. You're saying that isnt dangerous? Just for a little comparison, Uptown in the same time span had 15 homicides.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2018, 10:13 PM
 
17 posts, read 21,743 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
So pretty much what I'm getting in this thread, to put it into perspective for myself, is that for the most part the Latino "hood" areas in Chicago are pretty much like any regular hood area here in Texas, whereas neighborhoods like Englewood and etc. are pretty much on a whole nother level. So pretty much Latinos in Chicago definitely are affected by violent crime in Chicago but not astronomically so compared to Latinos in other American cities. As opposed to the majority black neighborhoods of Chicago that have a lot more violence when compared to black neighborhoods in other cities.

Which might be why in comparison to majority black neighborhoods in Chicago some people may say that violence isn't really a problem in Hispanic neighborhoods even though many times it can be. That's how I've come to make sense of it, would y'all say this is a good summary?

It does seem like gang culture is more present throughout Chicago compared to TX. TX has gangs but they're more about just making money than really banging like that.
You are 100% right. I wouldnt say though that there is less violence in hispanic neighborhoods when compared to other cities. Just know that its there. Go on google videos and type in "latin pachucos" or "insane latin brothers", "latin stylers chicago", "Milwaukee Kings." All those gangs are in Belmont Cragin and theres more. I can go on and on. You'll see tons and tons of videos of guys recording themselves on their block or on a rival block.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 12:34 AM
 
502 posts, read 330,173 times
Reputation: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyChicago View Post
You are 100% right. I wouldnt say though that there is less violence in hispanic neighborhoods when compared to other cities. Just know that its there. Go on google videos and type in "latin pachucos" or "insane latin brothers", "latin stylers chicago", "Milwaukee Kings." All those gangs are in Belmont Cragin and theres more. I can go on and on. You'll see tons and tons of videos of guys recording themselves on their block or on a rival block.
Yes I mean Latin Kings did start in Chicago after all. How are black and brown relations in Chicago?

Would a Latino catch static in a black neighborhood and vice versa?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2018, 12:42 AM
 
Location: Evanston and Lake Forest, Illinois
2,985 posts, read 2,607,953 times
Reputation: 3880
Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Rocky View Post
Yes I mean Latin Kings did start in Chicago after all. How are black and brown relations in Chicago?

Would a Latino catch static in a black neighborhood and vice versa?
In Chicago, African-Americans and Hispanics typically get on well. I've never heard of, or read of, any conflict. I am sure you know that Chicago is very segregated. African-Americans and Hispanics are not traditionally politically aligned here, but they aren't in conflict either. African-American families are more established here, and my perception is that there is a much larger African-American middle class.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top