Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 02:45 PM

11 posts, read 20,612 times

Advertisements

From an outsider's perspective reading this forum, it sounds like nobody should even VISIT Chicago, let alone live there. The amount of crime that is reported and talked about seems to be very high compared to other cities around the country.

Is this an affliction of this community to talk about crime, or is it true to all of Chicago's neighborhoods?

I live in Boston and am getting transferred to Chicago as of October 1st of this year. Reading on this forum is making me scared to move.

As a visitor in Chicago, I never felt scared, threatened or intimidated. This was spending most of my time in Wicker Park and Lincoln Square. Is it really that unsafe to be out in any neighborhood in Chicago after dark? I find that hard to believe.

Anyway, what are safer neighborhoods to live in. I've read the other posts--but i'm looking for specifics. Streets close to nightlife and shopping in lincoln park, river north, lakeview, etc..

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 02:48 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
If you've been reading as closely as you say you have, you'd know that most of the serious crime is relegated to the worst sections of the city.

Add to that the fact that most violence and crime is gang on gang. If you happen to be a gangbanger, we can't help you out then.

You have to realize that thousands of people are out after dark living their lives. Heck, I bicycle and run at night through my neighborhood and a good swath of the northside.

EDIT: You've also mentioned a lot of the highly sought after neighborhoods. If you'll be commuting to the loop, those neighborhoods feature great access.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:16 PM

11 posts, read 20,612 times
Yeah, i have been reading a bunch about the gang activity--but it still does not paint a very pretty picture. My point was that i can't imagine that the normal upper middle class does not exist within pretty safe areas.. and without many fears or concerns.

i've lived in Boston for 7 years and never once felt threatened. Also lived in NYC for 3 years and the same--never felt threatened.

I was reading someone else's post of advice--and they were literally saying do not make prolonged eye contact with strangers--i mean that sounds pretty bad to me.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:33 PM

588 posts, read 1,800,109 times
There still are safe parts of the City. Problem if these areas seem to be shrinking yearly. My parents still live in a good neighborhood and have been there 40 years. Problem is it now seems like they are paying more to get even less services, etc.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:48 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
I don't hang out on the Boston forums, but I suspect this kind of chatter goes on there too. It's the internet and people say stupid things. And based on experience, Chicagoans love to complain about three things: the weather, the traffic and the crime.

We also get A LOT of transplants from small towns and mid-sized cities in the Midwest, so while I can generally assume a Bostonian is smart enough to not ride public transit wasted or to leave their GPS in plain sight on their dashboard, I can't assume someone from Grand Rapids, Iowa would.

I could take a poll and the vast majority of the regular posters here have probably never been the victim of anything more serious than property crime.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:59 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
There still are safe parts of the City. Problem if these areas seem to be shrinking yearly.
No they aren't. That's just ridiculous. Some are shrinking while others are growing. Overall, the city is not becoming more dangerous.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:42 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeitsjustme View Post
...Is it really that unsafe to be out in any neighborhood in Chicago after dark? I find that hard to believe...
There are plenty of neighborhoods you do not want to be out in after dark or really any other time for that matter.

Of course, there are plenty that you should not worry about at most times (excluding making yourself victim-ready especially late at night.)

And there are a few dozen areas where you basically would be as safe as safe can be 24 hours a day walking the streets.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:47 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,196,626 times
As far as 1 million+ cities go, Chicago is second to one in violent crime. Only Philadelphia has a higher violent crime rate than Chicago. When you move here, if you want a neighborhood that reminds you of back home(Boston), then Lincoln Park or Lakeview are the best choices. LP and Lakeview are pretty much gang-free. Wicker Park around N. Milwauke/North/Damen corridor is nice too for nightlife.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:57 PM

226 posts, read 641,100 times
Anyone that feels scared living in this city is a goddamn wuss and needs to just move.

Chicago is absolutely nothing compared to a city like L.A. or NYC in terms of crime.

Anyone telling you not to make "prolonged eye contact with strangers" is a ****ing *****.

I am getting so tired of these threads. Grow some balls and stop being terrified of everything in life; it builds character.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:08 PM

55 posts, read 97,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeitsjustme View Post
Is this an affliction of this community to talk about crime, or is it true to all of Chicago's neighborhoods?
It's hardly an "affliction" to discuss the city's failure to adequately deal with crime when the problems are structural and systemic.

You can find, and others will probably do so for you, crime statistics for the most upscale parts of town (Wicker Park, Lakeview, etc.). Places you've been and felt comfortable. Others will also provide statistics and anecdotes for the gang-controlled parts of town, where you may not spend much time if any. Take note of both and then decide where you want to be.

In my experience, Chicago's no more or less dangerous than any other city. I never had problems in Boston, New York, Buffalo, Syracuse, or Philadelphia. A little common sense will go a long way no matter where you are.

Quote:
Anyway, what are safer neighborhoods to live in. I've read the other posts--but i'm looking for specifics. Streets close to nightlife and shopping in lincoln park, river north, lakeview, etc..
Yeah, those neighborhoods aren't going to be much of a problem. Just look for blocks that don't have check cashing places or cop cameras at the intersections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago