Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 05:09 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,180,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
According to my past experience with school cafeterias/cooks/line/food on premises/menu/etc a fast food lunch costing 3 times as much brought from an outside vendor does not equate to "school provided lunch".

It is circumventing the issue of having no cafeteria lunch.

I rest my case.
Unfortunately, none of us can solve this problem for you. None of us truly know what school district your kids are in and don’t know if they’re following federal guidelines for public schoool lunches, though you’ve alluded to one in other threads. That being said, you should voice these concerns to your school board during a monthly school board meeting. All we can do is explain how things work in our own respective experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 08:22 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Just spoke to my wife about her school lunches growing up in WI. Basically really bad pizza and french fries.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:33 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
According to my past experience with school cafeterias/cooks/line/food on premises/menu/etc a fast food lunch costing 3 times as much brought from an outside vendor does not equate to "school provided lunch".

It is circumventing the issue of having no cafeteria lunch.

I rest my case.
You obviously have an axe to grind, considering your other gripes regarding school/bus fees.
If you want cheap move back to WV. It’s that simple! LOL

Old 09-07-2018, 07:48 PM

203 posts, read 153,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
You obviously have an axe to grind, considering your other gripes regarding school/bus fees.
If you want cheap move back to WV. It’s that simple! LOL
I can gripe all I want. It is my experience, and I've lived in more than one state. It is hard to understand if one live in one place most of their life.

I am also puzzled by the state requirement of physical and dental check ups. I provided up to date immunization records for my kids, but no, that isn't enough. The state mandates they have a "physical" and a certain form filled out. If they mandate it - they should pay for it! I had no plans to visit a pediatrician until the next shot was due.

But anyway, this "move back to where you came from" is just classic. Basically this means that people have no right to voice their concerns or opinions and share experiences. But, learning how it's done elsewhere may actually be a good thing.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:08 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,518,664 times
Quote:

I am also puzzled by the state requirement of physical and dental check ups. I provided up to date immunization records for my kids, but no, that isn't enough. The state mandates they have a "physical" and a certain form filled out. If they mandate it - they should pay for it! I had no plans to visit a pediatrician until the next shot

As long as the immunizations are current, I agree with this. Especially when a substantial percentage of the exams are of questionable value, meaning high volume, cheap in and out facilities where the practitioner is just doing the basics. It serves no purpose, imho.

Old 09-09-2018, 02:13 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,548,528 times
Quote:
I can gripe all I want. It is my experience, and I've lived in more than one state. It is hard to understand if one live in one place most of their life.
Do you think that everyone on this thread has only lived in Illinois?

Not that only living in Illinois would preclude one from understanding life outside of it.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:

I am also puzzled by the state requirement of physical and dental check ups. I provided up to date immunization records for my kids, but no, that isn't enough. The state mandates they have a "physical" and a certain form filled out. If they mandate it - they should pay for it! I had no plans to visit a pediatrician until the next shot was due.

But anyway, this "move back to where you came from" is just classic. Basically this means that people have no right to voice their concerns or opinions and share experiences. But, learning how it's done elsewhere may actually be a good thing.
I get it. You don’t like to have to pay for things- it’s fairly clear from this thread and your other one.

Now you don’t want your kids to make a quick, easy trip to a pediatrician? Pile it on, I suppose.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
As long as the immunizations are current, I agree with this. Especially when a substantial percentage of the exams are of questionable value, meaning high volume, cheap in and out facilities where the practitioner is just doing the basics. It serves no purpose, imho.
That’s a red herring argument that makes a lot of assumptions.

My kids pediatrician (really, their entire practice) is quite thorough in how they perform their exams. A friend of ours who happens to be a pediatrician recommended them as better than the group she works with actually. Due diligence.

The point is that it provides the opportunity to catch some things that would otherwise be missed by sticking with such a consistent exam routine.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Do you think that everyone on this thread has only lived in Illinois?

Not that only living in Illinois would preclude one from understanding life outside of it.
Her comment was strange, that’s for sure.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:15 AM

196 posts, read 302,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
The point is that it provides the opportunity to catch some things that would otherwise be missed by sticking with such a consistent exam routine.

Exactly. And for an older kid the time since the last immunization could be years, so relying only on immunization records won't give you a complete story. You want a recent checkup before admitting a new kid to a school district, so that a healthcare professional can determine that they aren't suffering from some untreated disease (or even something as mundane, but highly contagious like head lice, pink-eye, chicken pox, etc.), or unrecognized disability, or worse yet - some from of abuse by neglectful parents. Same with the hearing test - if a kid has an undiagnosed hearing problem, they will suffer in school, and the school district should know about this ASAP in order to provide the appropriate accommodations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago