Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 03:24 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
63rd and Pulaski. The giant Indian statue on top of the pharmacy.
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 12:57 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
if you saw the abominations at Clark and Addison that they built you wouldn't think so anymore
I live right by it. In fact I walked past it yesterday! If you're for purity and keeping things original I get what you mean. However, I think the updates have been nice since it at least modernizes the area and frankly I think the designs of the hotel and new Addison Park on Clark is very nice. At least they didn't go with a square box that has no character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtBottle View Post
Those would be two of my least favorite, actually-- haha. Too crowded with tourists, chads/trixies, and people in from the burbs for the day.
There is nothing that compares to the original marquee overlooking that busy intersection. Plus it's the heart of Chicago sports (besides the sox). Every championship has been celebrated like crazy in that intersection. I have been many times for many hawks victories and cubs victories. Sox/Bulls have been fewer as of late otherwise that too. The drunks add to it's uniqueness which I can appreciate.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:49 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
One of my favorite intersections (Lincoln/Western/Lawrence) is going to be hosting some fun and also family-oriented events again this October: Apple Fest, and Trick or Treat... I've come down in the past and had a really good time (with, and without children). Maybe see you there!- Have a great day!- Master Jay from Milwaukee

Old 10-06-2018, 06:28 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
My favorite for sentimentality - North Ave & Wells - because in 1972-1973 my best friend and i used to go walk down the Old Town streets and go into all the great stores that are not there anymore, Bazaar Bazaar, the Earl of Old Town, etc. now gone, but it still holds memories for me.

Astor Street - beautiful mansions that are so unique. Unlike any other street in the city. As you walk down the street, you can see the beautiful decor inside the widows. So majestic!

Old Irving Park - near Pulaski and Irving, take a house tour, you get to walk inside 6-8 homes, vintage Painted Ladies and others, so beautiful!

Old 10-07-2018, 09:29 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
ChicagoMeo, I'm not familiar to the greatest degree with the first 2 areas you mentioned, but they sound nice. It also sounds like you have some great memories of the good ol' days!- Have a great day!- Master Jay from Milwaukee

Old 10-10-2018, 07:36 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I live right by it. In fact I walked past it yesterday! If you're for purity and keeping things original I get what you mean. However, I think the updates have been nice since it at least modernizes the area and frankly I think the designs of the hotel and new Addison Park on Clark is very nice. At least they didn't go with a square box that has no character.

I drove past there a couple weeks ago, and it looks like Cubs Park looked like someone who was thin but gained 600 pounds.. It expanded too far toward the street. Looks fugly! But maybe good for inside where they have more to offer. it takes up too much sidewalk. Too wide!

Old 10-10-2018, 11:04 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
My favorite for sentimentality - North Ave & Wells - because in 1972-1973 my best friend and i used to go walk down the Old Town streets and go into all the great stores that are not there anymore, Bazaar Bazaar, the Earl of Old Town, etc. now gone, but it still holds memories for me.

Astor Street - beautiful mansions that are so unique. Unlike any other street in the city. As you walk down the street, you can see the beautiful decor inside the widows. So majestic!

Old Irving Park - near Pulaski and Irving, take a house tour, you get to walk inside 6-8 homes, vintage Painted Ladies and others, so beautiful!
Agree about Astor street. I stumbled onto that street walking to Lincoln Park when I first moved to Chicago. Walking down that street on a sunny spring day with all of the spring colors is an amazing experience/ beautiful views.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:45 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Lincoln and Montrose
Lincoln and Wilson
Clark and Berwyn
Definitely some good ones.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:20 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smegmatite View Post
if you saw the abominations at Clark and Addison that they built you wouldn't think so anymore
The new buildings are massive improvements from surface parking lots and single story retail strips.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:28 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
ChicagoMeo, I'm not familiar to the greatest degree with the first 2 areas you mentioned, but they sound nice. It also sounds like you have some great memories of the good ol' days!- Have a great day!- Master Jay from Milwaukee
Definitely stroll down Astor street if you get a chance. Go on a nice sunny spring day if you can. Beautiful mansions, high rises, greenery, spring colors. It’s in the Gold Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago