Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 11:05 AM

512 posts, read 320,972 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone!
I know that this question might sound silly, but I am not a native Chicagoan (LOVE the city though) and I am looking for advice, suggestions, or clarifications about this issue. So, I am planning to move here (from Philadelphia):

https://www.google.com/maps/place/38...!4d-87.6512921

See how close it is to Wrigley Field? Is that distance even considered "close"?

Again, I don't know anything about baseball season, stadium acoustics, or whatever, so bear with me. If I lived in that exact address that the map marks with the red icon, would that be too close to the stadium? I don't mind crowds or noise when they are inevitable, but would living there make me unable to sleep during baseball season?

Feel free to call me "dumb" if the question is dumb. I know that I am likely to find help here.

I love Chicago and this potential place to live would be close to everything I would need, including my job, the gym, my bank, grocery stores, the lake, etc. However, I want to see what your feedback is in regard to my question.

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 11:44 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
It is certainly close, but I doubt you would have trouble sleeping unless you are very sensitive.

I would live there without question. I lived closer than that and it never bothered me.

Good luck with your move!

Old 10-12-2018, 02:52 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,445,757 times
I wouldn't be worried about stadium noise at all, but I would be worried about drunk people being loud and yelling after important wins or just loud in general on on Fri/Saturday nights. Also if you plan to take the red line from the loop during baseball season sometimes it can get pretty crowded with Cubs fans if there is a night game. And if you plan on owning a car here it is difficult to park during games.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:00 PM

512 posts, read 320,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It is certainly close, but I doubt you would have trouble sleeping unless you are very sensitive.

I would live there without question. I lived closer than that and it never bothered me.

Good luck with your move!
Thanks!

Old 10-15-2018, 08:12 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I lived less than half the distance to the field from this for the past four years (Addison and Fremont) and I loved it. You wouldn't get the foot traffic we did, which was the biggest "in your face" we dealt with from Wrigley. We could see the stadium from the inside of our condo, but only during games could you hear anything, and it was just cheering and some other organ noise, but definitely not loud. Never once did it keep us awake, and we were extremely close. At your distance I wouldn't worry about noise much except for concerts.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:32 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
You should be fine. If you hear the crowd at the stadium from there, it'll just sound like a distant crowd roar.

Foot traffic probably won't be too bad there as that's the opposite direction of all the bars. As others have said, parking isn't great on game days. If your place comes with a parking spot, that's a plus. If not, it could be worse. You may get some cars who exit Lake Shore at Irving Park Road and drive near your street, but there's likely more coming from the west of the stadium.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:38 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
That area doesn't get very noisy during game days. You will have people walking the street in cubs gear so it will be very obvious when there is a home game. Also, they do close some streets off including around the stadium and parts down Clark & Addison so traffic will be worse than usual. Since you're near a side street and Irving Park you will be in pretty good shape as the closures don't affect Irving Park.

The two biggest pains I think you will face is vehicle traffic on game days as well as parking issues. If you don't have a car or have your own spot these potential issues could be very minor.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:36 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
Make sure that the bright lights at night games does not come in thru your window and disturb you. Those lights are super bright! I lived 2 blocks east of there and they blazed into my window.

they turn those very bright lights on at night games.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:19 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,537,677 times
A good friend of mine lives on that particular block, and it's far enough away that I've visited and only noticed that it was a game day after walking a few blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6032 View Post
I wouldn't be worried about stadium noise at all, but I would be worried about drunk people being loud and yelling after important wins or just loud in general on on Fri/Saturday nights.
This is a bigger consideration, given that the Broadway/North Halsted nightlife corridor is just a block east/south.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:41 AM

245 posts, read 303,866 times
I live in Buena Park - a bit north of Wrigley. We can walk there...its about a mile. Nice walk, too.

Very quiet by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago