Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 07:48 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times

Advertisements

For the record, this shooting was directly across the park you visited

https://abc7chicago.com/3-shot-inclu...llage/3847926/

So was this one

https://wgntv.com/2018/09/08/16-year...cally-wounded/

So was this one

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/05...ll-avenue/amp/

tcetc. As I said, sadly this sort of thing is not uncommon, but it's good you did your research. Honestly, it makes way more sense to rent rather than buy when coming to a city as big as this one, at least for a year or two to get your bearings. No need to rush. This is a complicated place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 09:24 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
For the record, this shooting was directly across the park you visited

https://abc7chicago.com/3-shot-inclu...llage/3847926/

So was this one

https://wgntv.com/2018/09/08/16-year...cally-wounded/

So was this one

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/05...ll-avenue/amp/

tcetc. As I said, sadly this sort of thing is not uncommon, but it's good you did your research. Honestly, it makes way more sense to rent rather than buy when coming to a city as big as this one, at least for a year or two to get your bearings. No need to rush. This is a complicated place.
That and I think a lot of LV property owners are starting to see some white people and are adding some pretty massive premiums onto asking prices of their buildings/homes, which may or may not be justifiable. Not something you can answer unless you can somehow predict the future. And if you can, please PM me, I've got some questions.

Anyway, I'm high on the area - and not just when sticking my head out my window either. But there's no guarantee it will gentrify. And that aside, renting first is almost always a decent idea, especially in Chicago.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:37 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_arkitect View Post
After checking out a few homes in Little Village close to the Pink Line - I think I am going to hold off on buying for a little while longer. I will just save for a bigger downpayment in a nicer neighborhood of the city.

I didn't exactly feel safe walking around the area. I heard gun shots a little after 7am while walking along 24th St near Limas Park. I saw some gang bangers hanging outside on the steps of homes (shaved head / tattoos on their necks). The main strip of 26th street felt safer - way more people out and lots and lots of young Mexican families.

I asked a number of people who were walking around and lived nearby what they thought of safety in the area - most said that during the day things are alright but after dark it is dangerous.

The homes I looked at were in different price ranges - the nicest home was a workers cottage that had been flipped by a developer who picked it up for cheap earlier in the year.

Unfortunately, the rest of the street was not very attractive - abandon homes and a few bombed out lots across the street.

There were also hoodlums walking down the middle of the street and tons and tons of trash littered on the sidewalks and streetscape

I can see how people might invest in this area as a landlord, but to make it their primary residence? I am not so sure amymore.
Good update. It probably does make a lot more sense to rent first and get a better feel for the city. Try looking at the Heart of Chicago / Pilsen area and Bridgeport area when you've settled in a bit and get a chance to look around.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:39 PM

504 posts, read 496,253 times
The area in LV that you went to is not nice and not recommended. The east side is the only part you should even consider.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:59 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,543,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Try looking at the Heart of Chicago / Pilsen area and Bridgeport area when you've settled in a bit and get a chance to look around.
Oh, hadn't thought about Bridgeport -- but there's a bit of a design scene there, in part because of IIT's proximity. The neighborhood's unusually mixed for Chicago, with about 1/3 Latino (principally Mexican), 1/3 Asian (principally Chinese), and 1/3 white.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
The area in LV that you went to is not nice and not recommended. The east side is the only part you should even consider.
Yeah, I just checked out where he was and it's around 5 blocks west of Kedzie near Central Park Ave. LV's gang issues are a bit more concentrated in that area. It's definitely way more sketchy over there than it is east of Kedzie, which is seeing some signs of gentrification. You typically do not see abandoned homes and vacant lots east of Kedzie so that should have tipped me off he was in the western part of South Lawndale.

He says that's close to the Pink Line but it really isn't. It's actually over a half mile from the closest Pink Line stop, and since that stop is Central Park in North Lawndale, that would present challenges in and of itself.

If he's looking for homes in areas like that, his budget may be bit lower than those recommending Bridgeport and Pilsen are thinking. Sometimes, when you yourself have a lot of money, it's hard to understand people who have less. So renting indeed may be a good idea, and I'd recommend staying east of Kedzie (and preferably east of Marshall Blvd. too).

Old 11-03-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
There's a major price difference between Pilsen and Little Village. That is possibly why. The same property will be at least 50% more, if not higher in Pilsen v. Little Village.

Most properties in Pilsen are overpriced in that they have some measure of speculation built into them. Essentially, you'll be paying a 2021 Chicago with an Amazon HQ2 in the South Loop price if you want to buy in Pilsen now.

If my heart was absolutely set on Pilsen, I'd wait until Amazon announces Washington D.C. or Atlanta as the site of new HQ2. That might make sellers more realistic, especially when combined with the winter weather and interest rate hikes.
The wait might not be too much longer...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...103-story.html

I think it'll take a little while to sink in but I think you're going to see some cheaper prices in the spring.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:03 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
The wait might not be too much longer...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...103-story.html

I think it'll take a little while to sink in but I think you're going to see some cheaper prices in the spring.
Well, announcements out. Maybe Pilsen prices will be good and affordable by the time the OP gets to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago