U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Chicago's population pass 3 million by the 2030 census?
Yes 25 24.27%
No 78 75.73%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 08:23 AM

6,360 posts, read 7,365,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Houston won't continue to have high growth rates forever. Eventually that city will start slowing down in population growth and Chicago will pass it again. Houston has horrible infrastructure and uncontrollable zoning that will hurt the city long term. Also who cares if Houston moves ahead of Chicago in city population. Chicagoland will reach over 10 million people in less than 20 years. Houston feels more like a giant suburb than a real city. Chicago has a strong influence all across the Midwest while Houston isn't even the most relevant city in its own state.

Chicago is like the beautiful model at a night club stressing and worrying about if she can compete against mediocre to below average looking women trying to get male attention.
I wonder, gwilly, how Houston's mass transit system can stand up to the subways and el's and commuter rail of Chicagoland and metro Philly. Chicago and Philadelphia run rings around Houston in viability as well as sustainability (oh, hell, throw in vibrancy and vitality while we're at it). They're what is known as "cities". real cities. And nobody ever accused the Loop and Center City of being "giant suburb" like, did they?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 08:40 AM

4,621 posts, read 6,160,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
or maybe Champaign doesn't

and, who knows what tomorrow may bring, maybe the state's flagship public university will be centered around the intersection of Hasted and Harrison instead of Green and Wright.

The original University of Nevada (Reno) plays second fiddle to its spawn, UNLV, the more prominent of the two institutions.

And Cal may more prestigious than any public university in 49 of our states, but is considered second by many to UCLA in its own state.

Stranger things have happened. UIC is (easily) #2 statewide, enough ahead of ISU and NIU for them to not really be competition (this despite the fact that UIC is far younger than any of them). Who says it can't have U of I in his sights....somewhere out there in the future?

Whose is to say that blue and red may not end up as an exceedingly more attractive color pair than blue and orange.
Sure...and maybe Missouri will purchase Des Moines from Iowa...?

As a person working in higher education, I see no scenario in my lifetime, aside from a major disaster, in which UIUC doesn't continue to be the most important and prestigious public university in the state of Illinois. In fact, with a push towards implementing the engineering-based medical school in Champaign, I imagine the likelihood is even less. An increased connectivity between the two? Sure. A monumental push of UIC (which is really quite on par with ISU, NIU, and even SIU in most circles of higher education) ahead of UIUC? Might as well change those addresses to Des Moines, MO while you're at it...

Old 11-28-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Sure...and maybe Missouri will purchase Des Moines from Iowa...?

As a person working in higher education, I see no scenario in my lifetime, aside from a major disaster, in which UIUC doesn't continue to be the most important and prestigious public university in the state of Illinois. In fact, with a push towards implementing the engineering-based medical school in Champaign, I imagine the likelihood is even less. An increased connectivity between the two? Sure. A monumental push of UIC (which is really quite on par with ISU, NIU, and even SIU in most circles of higher education) ahead of UIUC? Might as well change those addresses to Des Moines, MO while you're at it...
Yes, Main, I get it....U of I runs rings around UIC today and they are in completely different leagues. There is no competition. They operate in different universes. I get that. What I don't know is the future and whether UIC being in heart of a major global city might make for a more potent university than one in a corn field.

UIC today is ahead of both ISU and NIU. SIU is what is known as a basket case, with Edwardsville in the process of swallowing Carbondale whole (if there is any money around for that to happen).

Missouri would be far better off purchasing Iowa City rather than Des Moines.....in doing so, it very likely would be getting a state u leap years ahead of Mizzou.

As I said, no one in Reno, the place that gets to call itself University of Nevada thought its backwater branch in Vegas, UNLV, ever would surpass it institutionally. The University of California (which never had to use "Berkeley" in its name, set up this cute little "Southern Branch" on an old normal school site a tad west of downtown LA.....a branch that soon moved to the open and unbuilt hills of Westwood and the rest, as they say, is history: UCLA is very much on par with Cal....and some consider it better. And even the vaunted and haughty University of Michigan (the school in Ann Arbor that shares pubic pantheon honors with the ones in Berkeley and Charlottesville) worked for years to Michigan Agricultural College just that...an ag school. Which somehow MSU fought to become a full fledged, highly potent national public institution (no...it's not in the A2 category....but it sure has closed the gap).

So I figure with all the changes out there and urban megacities becoming the end all and be all, UIC one day very may well challenge UIUC....hey, it grabbed a medical school from Champaign, so anything is possible.

Last edited by edsg25; 11-28-2018 at 09:36 AM..

Old 11-28-2018, 09:40 AM

4,621 posts, read 6,160,675 times
Quote:
What I don't know is the future and whether UIC being in heart of a major global city might make for a more potent university than one in a corn field.
I mean, in the half of century since it built the circle campus (and arguably during an era in which Chicago had much more global pull that it perhaps has today with its peers), UIC hasn't ascended past UIUC...or the other major public universities in corn fields and isolation in Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, etc. either.

It's good business for a university to be growing and to be expanding and to be taking advantage of location, but the headwinds are strong to advance majorly to the levels of either Illinois or Wisconsin or even a mammoth leap to Michigan in the future. I just don't see your argument for the future scenario.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:39 AM

4,018 posts, read 2,964,967 times
Quote:
Yes, Main, I get it....U of I runs rings around UIC today and they are in completely different leagues. There is no competition. They operate in different universes. I get that. What I don't know is the future and whether UIC being in heart of a major global city might make for a more potent university than one in a corn field.

UIC today is ahead of both ISU and NIU. SIU is what is known as a basket case, with Edwardsville in the process of swallowing Carbondale whole (if there is any money around for that to happen).

Missouri would be far better off purchasing Iowa City rather than Des Moines.....in doing so, it very likely would be getting a state u leap years ahead of Mizzou.

As I said, no one in Reno, the place that gets to call itself University of Nevada thought its backwater branch in Vegas, UNLV, ever would surpass it institutionally. The University of California (which never had to use "Berkeley" in its name, set up this cute little "Southern Branch" on an old normal school site a tad west of downtown LA.....a branch that soon moved to the open and unbuilt hills of Westwood and the rest, as they say, is history: UCLA is very much on par with Cal....and some consider it better. And even the vaunted and haughty University of Michigan (the school in Ann Arbor that shares pubic pantheon honors with the ones in Berkeley and Charlottesville) worked for years to Michigan Agricultural College just that...an ag school. Which somehow MSU fought to become a full fledged, highly potent national public institution (no...it's not in the A2 category....but it sure has closed the gap).

So I figure with all the changes out there and urban megacities becoming the end all and be all, UIC one day very may well challenge UIUC....hey, it grabbed a medical school from Champaign, so anything is possible.
I disagree that UCLA is better than Cal (=UC Berkeley).

Only a decrease in federal funding dropped Cal’s global ranking. They have no control of that. Ceteris paribus, Cal is still ahead.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:45 AM

4,018 posts, read 2,964,967 times
Quote:
And even the vaunted and haughty University of Michigan (the school in Ann Arbor that shares pubic pantheon honors with the ones in Berkeley and Charlottesville) worked for years to Michigan Agricultural College just that...an ag school. Which somehow MSU fought to become a full fledged, highly potent national public institution (no...it's not in the A2 category....but it sure has closed the gap).
Your first part is unclear. MSU was the Ag school. U of M was not.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:18 AM

4,478 posts, read 7,914,993 times
Unless Chicago (and Illinois) has a come-to-Jesus and starts drawing in high wage jobs for working class families, I do not think so. The low income areas will continue to depopulate (both through the mass murders occurring there and people choosing to flee the violence and poverty). The Emerald City neighborhoods will continue to grow economically, but less so in population, as their demographic is principally made up of young singles, empty nesters, and small young families who are likely to move to the suburbs when their kids hit school age (though this could reverse if Millennials start taking a chance on the CPS).

If Chicago's white collar economy flourishes, some of the depopulating areas may join the wealthy neighborhood ranks and add some people. But the population growth there will be competing with population losses in our violent and poverty stricken community areas.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:42 PM

2,602 posts, read 2,539,113 times
Quote:
I’d like to optimistically think yes (including a scenario in which the entire state of Illinois picks up growth), but I think more realistically the answer is no.
This is my position as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
If there is to be growth in Illinois, it will likely happen only in Chicagoland. The rest of the state will probably continue to hemorrhage , although maybe Champaign-Urbana will hold its own because of the state university..
You could potentially see the two primary counties that make up St. Louis' Metro East suburbs, Madison and St. Clair, return to growth as well. Between them you've got more than half a million people, and they had both been growing in the 00s. They both took a beating during the budget impasse though, and it appears many people opted to cross the Mississippi into Missouri. Anecdotally, I have many family members and friends in the area who did just that.

I'm also interested to see if JB gets marijuana legalized and what the tax revenue from that looks like. It won't be Illinois' solution, but it certainly won't hurt either.

Old 11-28-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I mean, in the half of century since it built the circle campus (and arguably during an era in which Chicago had much more global pull that it perhaps has today with its peers), UIC hasn't ascended past UIUC...or the other major public universities in corn fields and isolation in Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, etc. either.

It's good business for a university to be growing and to be expanding and to be taking advantage of location, but the headwinds are strong to advance majorly to the levels of either Illinois or Wisconsin or even a mammoth leap to Michigan in the future. I just don't see your argument for the future scenario.
none of which I would argue with although for a university created in 1965, I would consider its rise impressive.

Suffice it say UIC is not close to being in the category of Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, MSU, Michigan State, Ohio State, et al,

but....given its location, one day it may well challenge for the top public university in the state. Meanwhile, from all I can see, it pretty much earns a #2 spot in-state behind Illinois and, yes, ahead of ISU, NIU, etc.

Old 11-28-2018, 05:31 PM

4,567 posts, read 4,646,477 times
Quote:
Right? Of course you are right, CSS. I have gone to great lengths on the Chicago sub-forum and actually on most forums here on C/D to state that "CSS is by far the most intelligent, the most insightful forumer in C/D....by far." You are The Man, my man. My guru-to-end-all-gurus.

As for "Global Chicago", I have to admit not too sure about those who encompass it, a bit too nouveau riche for my tastes, si vous plait. Look, I must admit, I'm a bit of an elitist here....you can call me snobby, even snooty, but support for the elites is fully justifiable. Blood lines count. Pedigrees matter. And, whether you like it or not, there are, my dear, the "right people"....and the rest. Good breeding is evident and essential, just by looking at those who have it.

So roots are essential, what really count. I mean, to me, if your bloodlines aren't the deepest and you can't trace your DNA back, further than any other group, back to the glorious trek across the old land bridge from Siberia to Alaska, you are not a "real" American. And you don't count. Those Americans came truly "Bering" gifts, the highest of culture the world has ever known bestowed to our welcoming shores.

Seems to me the biggest mistake we made was not stopping those first two sea-born "caravans".....the one headed to Jamestown, the other to Plymouth, back whence they came. It was those people, the wrong people, those definitive undocumented and inability to speak in the language of the five tribes, that started the curse to our nation. That was a demographic change that proved disastrous. People in black, buckled hats move in and there goes the neighborhood. Or worse still those welfare "gentlemen" in the tidewater, searching for gold and lounging on the James while others did the work for them, digging the earth to plant corn or wheat, until they discovered the true "brown gold" in the form of tobacco leaf.

Love ya, CSS, and with apologies to the Great Ali and to floating butterflies and stinging bees everywhere.....you, not MA, are the greatest.
Has anyone ever told you how long-winded you are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago