Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 02:02 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,149,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
yes. but also 10 times of more crowded. Chicago in the summer is a huge tourist magnet. That's great...but it does come at a price.
I definitely see it both ways. Maybe the fall is a better time than summer or winter. As a comparison, I've been on two vacations to NYC. One of them was in July and the other end of Oct/beginning of Nov. (but before all the marathon people were in town).

It was more enjoyable on the November trip in terms of crowds because they were significantly smaller, but temps were still in the 50s during the day and 40s at night.

Coming from NJ, the OP has probably been to some decent beaches in his/her life and wouldn't necessarily "miss out" by not going to the beach in Chicago.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:16 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,337,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcateeth View Post
Hey, thanks for complimenting our city. However, it sounds like you were hanging out in the downtown area, where tourists tend to go. That's fine, and best practice, in terms of safety and comfort.

Unfortunately, that is only one area of the city. I have lived here all my life. I also have a job that takes me EVERYWHERE, from Howard Street (7600 North) to Altgeld Gardens (130 blocks south of downtown). Trust me, many areas are as different from downtown as the Olympics is from a Medicaid nursing home. Too many neighborhoods have significant amounts of decay: Dilapidated buildings, vacant lots, trash on the ground, gang members, aggressive panhandlers, homeless mentally ill people, gunfire, no grocery stores (only liquor stores, Dollar General, and fast food joints), etc. Resources are not evenly distributed to all areas, at all. Many have had years upon years of disinvestment and generational poverty.

I wish all neighborhoods were as nice as downtown, but sadly they are not.
FYI. many cities have run down areas ( Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, St. Louis, Los Angeles, etc.) but very few have the beauty and architecture of Chicago's core and various north and southside neighborhoods, which makes Chicago unique and world class and therefore a tourist magnet.

I hate it when someone compliments me or my family and then proceeds to **** on something in the next breath. The fact that some areas of Chicago are not nice is a no brainer since no place is utopia, but for God's sake, why wreck the compliment.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:19 PM

1,022 posts, read 765,297 times
Chicago is best in the fall and winter that is why I am having a friend from Florida come in late December and and early January for a few weeks!

Old 12-05-2018, 04:31 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,205,764 times
Well I see the nega-goans .... to be likened to Philly's locals who crap on ther city of lessen it. Are called "negadelphians". A real term.

One definition ....

A term that seems to have been invented on Phillyblog by those who just moved to Philadelphia and can't seem to understand why the long-time residents have such a dismal outlook about the city's future." What to do about the term?

But really more about locals themselves among themselves who spew negatives..... Sound familiar...
Originally though it was a local mocking ther local spots team too. Just grew to include more.

Maybe these posters feel like this comment I read here on Philly?..????? By these in need to vent to VISITOR FEEDBACK POST IN COMPLEMENTING A VISIT .... Yet the post negatives....

-- What are the downsides of living in Philadelphia, PA? -- MAYBE THEY WOULD INTERJECT CHICAGO IN THE BELOW POST. THE MOCKERS who see all half full and dropping.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-d...hiladelphia-PA

One post from link:

1.With all of the negatives below along with higher income taxes (as mentioned) … here is the biggest downside/upside I've experienced:

-- "Philly love"— Philly can just grow on you to the point where you don't feel uncomfortable everywhere else. It's like that relationship that was never that good, but you know each other's moves so well that you stay together longer than you should— you know it isn't good for you anymore but you just can't say goodbye and you begin to make excuses for not leaving or for coming back — Philly makes you always feel like you belong there.

I LOVE CHICAGO THOUGH. But near retirement. Probably will never live there again. But I'D LOVE TO.
**** But some DON'T EVEN MAKE EXCUSES ..... they just BASH THE CITY. Most FORMER residents with a GRUDGE.

Last edited by DavePa; 12-05-2018 at 04:45 PM..

Old 12-05-2018, 08:25 PM

504 posts, read 488,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It's Christmasy, my family goes every year and we love it. I noticed they have raclette this year, which I absolutely love. Haven't seen it before there
The raclette is the reason to go to the market! Get yourself some mulled wine that comes with the christmas mug and pick up a giant raclette sandwich.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:12 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,568,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKParker View Post
The raclette is the reason to go to the market! Get yourself some mulled wine that comes with the christmas mug and pick up a giant raclette sandwich.
Yes! The gluhwein is great. If you like the stuff at chriskindl, you must go to Simon's in Andersonville. They make the best every year.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:55 AM

1,261 posts, read 561,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yes! The gluhwein is great. If you like the stuff at chriskindl, you must go to Simon's in Andersonville. They make the best every year.
I visited Andersonsville Swedish neighborhood too.. interesting. Passed thru Simon’s.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:27 AM

629 posts, read 534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
So I’ve been in Chicago as first time visitor for 3 days now. I wanted to let you guys know that Chicago is a very beautiful and great mega city! I love the diverse architecture, the beautiful skyscrapers and its density, how super clean and well maintained the city is, all the amenities and plenty things to see/do and friendly people! Shopping is excellent in this city - better than New York City! You have basically every single chain and non-chain stores, restaurants and department stores as well as shopping malls. In New York City you must go to the suburbs for certain chain stores, restaurants and bigger malls unlike in Chicago all in the city center! Things were reasonable prices.

Christkindlmarket was amazing! Feels like being at a Christmas market in Europe! Magnificient Mile, Michigan Ave, State St, etc. great streets! The area by Trump tower was extra beautiful with the river and architectural view. Lake Michigan and Willis tower nice view as well. I liked the Christmas lights and decorations everywhere nicely done. Chicago’s shopping streets is much nicer and cleaner than New York’s Fifth Ave to be honest. Chicago’s grid locked streets were easy to navigate.
Only thing that should have improved in Chicago is to have nicer bridges and nicer/newer public transportation (buses & trains).

Overall Chicago is one of my favorite cities... very nice loved it! I’ll be honest I like Chicago more than New York. New York is too congested and too dirty!
As I say all the time, chicago is a fantastic place to visit! Living here though is quite a bit more difficult unless you're a bajillionaire who doesn't care about getting nickled and dimed to death, anyway, get out of the loop! Go explore the west loop, lincoln park, old town, lake view, hyde park's museum campus, etc and especially come back in June/July, its amaaaaazing!

Last edited by smegmatite; 12-06-2018 at 09:37 AM..

Old 12-06-2018, 09:36 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,405,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
yes. but also 10 times of more crowded. Chicago in the summer is a huge tourist magnet. That's great...but it does come at a price.
I meant this more as, next time in the summer, and go outside of downtown. If this or any other person were making a repeat visit to Chicago and already saw downtown, I would tell them to focus their next trip on the neighborhoods.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:02 PM

403 posts, read 925,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Well I see the nega-goans .... to be likened to Philly's locals who crap on ther city of lessen it. Are called "negadelphians". A real term.

One definition ....

A term that seems to have been invented on Phillyblog by those who just moved to Philadelphia and can't seem to understand why the long-time residents have such a dismal outlook about the city's future." What to do about the term?

But really more about locals themselves among themselves who spew negatives..... Sound familiar...
Originally though it was a local mocking ther local spots team too. Just grew to include more.

Maybe these posters feel like this comment I read here on Philly?..????? By these in need to vent to VISITOR FEEDBACK POST IN COMPLEMENTING A VISIT .... Yet the post negatives....

-- What are the downsides of living in Philadelphia, PA? -- MAYBE THEY WOULD INTERJECT CHICAGO IN THE BELOW POST. THE MOCKERS who see all half full and dropping.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-d...hiladelphia-PA

One post from link:

1.With all of the negatives below along with higher income taxes (as mentioned) … here is the biggest downside/upside I've experienced:

-- "Philly love"— Philly can just grow on you to the point where you don't feel uncomfortable everywhere else. It's like that relationship that was never that good, but you know each other's moves so well that you stay together longer than you should— you know it isn't good for you anymore but you just can't say goodbye and you begin to make excuses for not leaving or for coming back — Philly makes you always feel like you belong there.

I LOVE CHICAGO THOUGH. But near retirement. Probably will never live there again. But I'D LOVE TO.
**** But some DON'T EVEN MAKE EXCUSES ..... they just BASH THE CITY. Most FORMER residents with a GRUDGE.

It's funny sometimes. For such an amazing world-class city, we do have a lot of people (particularly online) who just have this incredibly bitter and fatalist mentality. They do tend to have been here forever, and do tend to be older as well for whatever that's worth. Maybe Chicago just eventually grinds them down. Younger people, and especially those from comparable places, tend to take Chicago's challenges in stride. Where there's a will there's a way. Also, Chicago is a talent magnet that will long-term get stronger as people look at Chicago from the coasts with it's relative affordability. It's weird...I've lived in some places that could never even DREAM of having what Chicago has. Like EVER. Like never has had, and will never have what Chicago has. And yet the disposition is much sunnier. It baffles me! Grass isn't always greener, in the case of Chicago it DEFINITELY often isn't! Of course Chicago has it's problems. ALL places do. You ultimately trade one problem for another. My travels have convinced me of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago