Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:46 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
New York also does not have alleys, so the garbage is in front of buildings and makes things look dirty, imo. I grew up near (not in) NYC and dh and I moved to Chicago when were were newly married (for his new job). Lived in Evanston for over 30 years and loved the access to the city as well as the general walkability of Evanston.

Chicago is much cleaner than NY.

I did find Chicago's people to walk too slow when we first moved here though since I was used to the East Coast pace.
It's alleys throughout Chicago and for the Loop there's also the second or third level of streets meant for through-traffic and building service. It's an incredible design.

Old 12-12-2018, 10:38 AM

1,022 posts, read 773,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
There simply is no place on earth where a river passes through a man made canyon like Chicago. That that canyon's walls are made up of some of the best architecture to be found anywhere only enhances the effect. It is unique.

And all the development going on at Wolf Point and across the river north of Ogilvie finally are putting in place that "back wall" that makes the view even better.
It just gets better and better!

Old 12-12-2018, 11:24 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
There simply is no place on earth where a river passes through a man made canyon like Chicago. That that canyon's walls are made up of some of the best architecture to be found anywhere only enhances the effect. It is unique.

And all the development going on at Wolf Point and across the river north of Ogilvie finally are putting in place that "back wall" that makes the view even better.
Exactly. I get a kick out of some just seeing them arresting relics. Seems they are repainted one by one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Wow, you’ve hit the jackpot here by stating you like Chicago over New York lol. I guess Chicago has “bridges”, I just never considered them a big deal given that they are not large.
They just still stand out as majestic and seeing them rise for tall mask sailboats .... does look awesome and tourist love to see it for sure.

I do love the sight of Philly's Ben Franklin bridge bluish less famous cousin to SF's Golden Gate bridge. It s majestic in scope and size.

Chicago's lack length .... but together the quantity in scope. Has them as part of Chicago's core uniqueness as the L in the Loop is too. Sure other cities have them. But in Chicago .... they are part of what defines the city too, in having its multiple close-together drawbridges. Then the river looks bluish and fish returned that one can fish even on the river-walk.

What visitor doesn't gain a great impression seeing this happen outside of winter especially.... visiting Chicago Unless your waiting in traffic a bit.... because of it I hear the ding ding ding they are going up.....
Attached Thumbnails
My impression of Chicago after first time visit-chicago-river-bridges-daily-rise-high  

Old 12-12-2018, 02:05 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Exactly. I get a kick out of some just seeing them arresting relics. Seems they are repainted one by one.

They just still stand out as majestic and seeing them rise for tall mask sailboats .... does look awesome and tourist love to see it for sure.

I do love the sight of Philly's Ben Franklin bridge bluish less famous cousin to SF's Golden Gate bridge. It s majestic in scope and size.

Chicago's lack length .... but together the quantity in scope. Has them as part of Chicago's core uniqueness as the L in the Loop is too. Sure other cities have them. But in Chicago .... they are part of what defines the city too, in having its multiple close-together drawbridges. Then the river looks bluish and fish returned that one can fish even on the river-walk.

What visitor doesn't gain a great impression seeing this happen outside of winter especially.... visiting Chicago Unless your waiting in traffic a bit.... because of it I hear the ding ding ding they are going up.....
enhanced considerably with Philly's ever rising skyline. Somewhat of a New York effect.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:21 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
I do wish the CTA could do something about all the homeless people bugging us for money.
People should not have to put up with that when all they want to do is ride the train and get somewhere.
Welcome to the city. The CTA does attempt to keep panhandling down, b thatless they started running with conductors again (not happening), they can't be everywhere to catch them all. And having a blanket ban on "homeless" people from the system would be illegal and immoral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I was in NYC this summer. I’ve never been to Chicago. Are the trains similar? The newer trains had a map that lit up the station that you’re at and are in a line of the next and past stations. I was praying for a new train so I wouldn’t get lost.
New York has two sizes of subway cars. Chicago's are most similar to the smaller ones. Chicago's newest train cars also have a map with stations that light up as you move around the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I did find Chicago's people to walk too slow when we first moved here though since I was used to the East Coast pace.
Yeah, I've slowed a bit recently, but I used to walk faster than 90% if the people in the sidewalks here.

Quote:
Chicago's River canyon is arguably better than any other, but it's not unique.

A friend of mine from China said upon crossing the River on Clark that it reminded him of the Suzhou River in Shanghai. There's also Chicago's little brother, Milwaukee. And downtown Miami (even with an elevated metro-style train crossing). And there's the Canary Wharf district in London.

Chicago's river canyon is better than all of those either by being bigger, having better architecture, or being more consistent. But there are other places with similar areas.

Last edited by emathias; 12-12-2018 at 02:34 PM..

Old 12-12-2018, 02:27 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

Chicago river vista is amazing, no doubt, and the city has finally found its riverfront.

The night view of the Ben Franklin bride is great. I bike this bridge pretty frequently and love the east-west PATCO trains running on its underside.

https://goo.gl/images/kbYmCs

https://goo.gl/images/AnVghc

Old 12-12-2018, 02:36 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
The night view of the Ben Franklin bride is great. I bike this bridge pretty frequently and love the east-west PATCO trains running on its underside.
Seems like a weird thing to be peeping at, someone's bride ...

Old 12-12-2018, 06:09 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Welcome to the city. The CTA does attempt to keep panhandling down, b thatless they started running with conductors again (not happening), they can't be everywhere to catch them all. And having a blanket ban on "homeless" people from the system would be illegal and immoral.

New York has two sizes of subway cars. Chicago's are most similar to the smaller ones. Chicago's newest train cars also have a map with stations that light up as you move around the system.

Yeah, I've slowed a bit recently, but I used to walk faster than 90% if the people in the sidewalks here.

A friend of mine from China said upon crossing the River on Clark that it reminded him of the Suzhou River in Shanghai. There's also Chicago's little brother, Milwaukee. And downtown Miami (even with an elevated metro-style train crossing). And there's the Canary Wharf district in London.

Chicago's river canyon is better than all of those either by being bigger, having better architecture, or being more consistent. But there are other places with similar areas.
A bit of hyperbole on my part. But I still think nobody does it better than we do. I have to disagree with you on Milwaukee though. They have done a great job in making the Milw River banks attractive and inviting. They even have their own river walk with sections on both banks. But the height of Milw buildings doesn’t really produce a feeling of a canyon. That said, I recognize that Chicago and Milwaukee, IMHO more so than in any other city, have a river running directly through downtown, with downtown towers on both banks. I think they are unique on this one. Closest I could come to would be the Cayahoga in Cleveland, but the city’s skyline is only on the east bank.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:11 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post

Even Dubai seems to want to mimic Chicago. Its tallest building in the world had SOM - Chicago's Skidmore Owens and Merrill. Trump Tower similarities with more scale and variations.

Dubai mimics the Chicago river and building or built its own Navy Pier. Bigger if course.
Attached Thumbnails
My impression of Chicago after first time visit-dubai-like-chicago-river-scape..jpg   My impression of Chicago after first time visit-dubai-entrance-river-like-chicago..jpg   My impression of Chicago after first time visit-dubai-harbor-navy-pier-replica..jpg  

Old 12-13-2018, 11:34 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:

My favorite view, maybe anywhere, is from Pioneer Court overlooking the Chicago River to the southwest. The very definition of urban grandeur and if I may say (at least in my opinion) one of -- if not the -- best acute urban view in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago